ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   engine cuts out (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/252514-engine-cuts-out.html)

degsi3 20 September 2003 04:51 PM

Can anyone please help.
I have a my99 turbo which until recently ran like a dream, but a little over 2 weeks ago the engine has started to cut out for a split second when driving the car hard.
This fault never occurs when the wife drives the car like an old woman lol. The only mods i have made to the car is a super chip from Deamon Tweeks and a Magnex back box. After the mods it ran well.
I had my local dealer (Hiltons of Sherwsbury)look into the problem but they have blamed the super chip after being unable to find any fault with the car, so i went back to Deamon Tweeks but they can not find a fault with the chip, but they did offer to revert the car back to it's original chip.

So please please can anyone help

[Edited by degsi3 - 9/20/2003 10:19:17 PM]

TonyBurns 20 September 2003 04:57 PM

Ah super chips...... a highly rated modification to a scoob.... NOT :eek:
Get rid of the chip, thats probably your problem, these are not regarded as anything but dangerous most of the time on scoobs, depending on your model year of car (MY99 onwards) you could have spent the cash on an ECUTEK remap, much better and done to your cars specification, if you have an MY97/8 then your in a zone that most people dont go (ie there are not many cheaper ways of getting power as most ecu's are expensive for these years).
Bin the chip, and get something decent like a dawes device and boost gauge, much cheaper and better ;)

Tony:D

degsi3 20 September 2003 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info, but have you any idea why the fault did not occur as soon as the chip was fitted.

TonyBurns 20 September 2003 05:07 PM

It sounds like overboost, ie the boost is set too high so it hits the built in cut out, it depends on where it cuts out, around the 5-6k mark? and not in 1st or 2nd gear, mainly 3/4/5 gears.

degsi3 20 September 2003 05:09 PM

no it cuts out in all gears from 4000 revs upwards

TonyBurns 20 September 2003 05:59 PM

Well it sounds as if the muppets who set up the superchip want to kill your engine :eek:
4k rpm is usually where max boost is, it seems as though your car is overboosting, and quite seriously too :eek:
What year/model is your scoob?

degsi3 20 September 2003 06:56 PM

well thanks guys, it must of been over boosting. when they fitted the super chip i noticed they had also fitted an adjustable valve on the on the air flow to the turbo, after turning the screw to restrict the air flow 3 full turns it seems to have cured the problem, but alas i'm not being pushed back in the back seat when i accelerate(i suppose i can't have it all).
I will take your advise and first thing monday morning i will go back to Deamon Tweeks and tell them to remove the super chip.

thanks again