ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Can I ask a big favour from someone in the know? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/252513-can-i-ask-a-big-favour-from-someone-in-the-know.html)

Madason2k 20 September 2003 04:45 PM

Hi,

I went down to Manchester the other week to have a look at a Impreza Turbo that I had taken a fancy to.

When I arrived and had a look around it needed some TLC on the wheels and a new spot light on the right but apart from that it looked tidy but needed a clean under the bonnet.

I then took it for a drive round the block and I must say I wasn’t impressed with the performance it didn’t seem to have the power of other turbo cars I had drove such as the Nissan 200SX for example.

I must say I am new to buying turbo cars and have being driving a BMW 318IS 16Valve which seemed to have the same performance.

Anyway what I want to ask is if there is someone based in the M20 area that knows how these cars should feel that wouldn’t mind giving me a second opinion on whether this car is Good or Bad.

I know it’s a bit cheeky but I don’t know what else to do as I cant buy a car until I know the engine is correct, for example the turbo is working. (because it didn’t feel like it to me)

Here is what I know about the car,

1998, R reg. 88000 miles, forest green, FSSH, MOT, HPi clear, good condition, UK spec.

Thanks
G Walker

chrisp 20 September 2003 04:57 PM

Maybe goto to your local dealer and test drive a couple before making a decision. Thats quite a common car so there should be something similar.

alcazar 20 September 2003 05:14 PM

I've got the "S" reg version of that car, and even before I sarted modding, there was no comparison between that car and the Beemer you quote. Mine would easily leave a 325i.
alcazar

Boro 20 September 2003 05:16 PM

Trust me, you would know if the turbo was working :eek:

And if didnt feel any quicker than a 1.8 N/A petrol then its defo not right.

rb5037 20 September 2003 05:29 PM

Silly question but was there a scoop on the bonnet?
If not then there's your answer.
No scoop no turbo.

Adam

Boro 20 September 2003 05:46 PM

Not really, ive seen sports with turbo bonnets before, in fact theres a few on here.

Madason2k 20 September 2003 05:56 PM

Yes there is a scoop and all the paper work also said it was a 2000 turbo

I thought the turbo might have given up so its not working but i dont really know how these things work so cant really comment.

Whilst im on the subject how much would a new standard turbo cost if it has given up?

Thanks
G Walker

catalunya199 20 September 2003 05:56 PM

didnt feel faster than your bmw there must be something pete tong with the engine when you accelrate it should throw you back in seat

rb5037 20 September 2003 05:59 PM

An example

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=222890
Sorry forgot how to do the clicky

Adam

Golden Oldie 20 September 2003 06:01 PM

When I arrived and had a look around it needed some TLC on the wheels and a new spot light on the right but apart from that it looked tidy but needed a clean under the bonnet
If the current owner can't even make the effort to tidy it up for a prospective buyer, what else could they not have bothered with...like servicing it or repairing a blown turbo :(

Plenty of good ones out there :) Time to walk away and look at some others. Never buy the first one you look at - a lesson I have learnt the hard way :(

Jon :)

TonyBurns 20 September 2003 06:09 PM

You can have a look at mine if you want ;)
She is a little more modified than that MY98 but it will give you a feeling of what a scoob should feel like :D (plus mine is for sale at 12,995 at the moment ;):D)

Tony:D

Boro 20 September 2003 06:09 PM

Clicky

rb5037 20 September 2003 07:08 PM

Thanks Boro.

So whats the out come.

My guess is that if it is a turbo then it's knackered or you had one super duper bmw:)

The quest goes on!

SlowBoy 20 September 2003 11:53 PM

Madason2k - if the car was as it should be you would't have to ask. Trust me, unless you were changing gear before it hit 2k revs, you'd be impressed with the performance.

As someone's already pointed out, there are loads of good ones around. Have a look in the For Sale section on here for some good examples.

Madason2k 21 September 2003 12:36 AM

Cheers Guys,

I’m glad some of you think it is the turbo that gone as it was also my first suspicion.

catalunya199 = As you have said it should of throw me back in the seat and that was what I was expecting but it didn’t happen and I was changing gear at around 5000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd a few times.

rb5037 = its no super performance BM no mods and is 0 -60 in 9.9 and around 150bhp.

TonyBurns = Thanks, I would take you up on the offer but im based in stoke-on-trent and from what I can see you up north so it may be a big trip.

SlowBoy = Ive taken a look on in the For Sale section and yes there is some very nice cars but im after the MY98 onwards one as it had the new interior with the white dials and twin airbags in ect.

Thanks
G Walker

scoobypreza 21 September 2003 12:50 AM

Definately something wrong with that scoob if your 318 felt just as fast. I've got an MY98 turbo wagon and the wife has got a 318is coupe (1.9 16v) and mine is one hell of a lot quicker, no comparison to be honest. Not that I'm puuting the BM down it just seems really slow in comparison.

Dave

Luke 21 September 2003 06:06 AM

Silly question but was there a scoop on the bonnet?
If not then there's your answer.
No scoop no turbo.

Adam
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not always true.... bestbet is to find one maybe in here . Or start to get to know more about them.

Facts:

1. Its a buyers dream come true if you know what you want. Cars are not realy selling

2. There are some very veryy bad cars out there. Been owned by people who have no money to service them and rag the arse out of them...Then there are the stolen cars etc..

scoobyvirgin 21 September 2003 05:10 PM

I've got a 98 Terzo for sale if you want one. Mail as per profile if you are interested.

:D

Leslie 21 September 2003 06:08 PM

Probably best to look around a bit more, there will be quite a few to choose from. That one does not sound right to me.

Les

johnfelstead 21 September 2003 06:19 PM

Tony is less than 50 miles from you, it's worth the trip to see i would say.