ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Tax Discs coming (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/252218-new-tax-discs-coming.html)

BuRR 19 September 2003 03:52 PM

Just thought you may be interested in this one.

--> Link <--

Boro 19 September 2003 03:58 PM

Dead Link.

Coming? Do you mean the ones with the barcode and the hologram?

If so, theyre out already, had one this month.

BuRR 19 September 2003 04:00 PM

I'm just going on information available to me at this time.

Please note: The new style Vehicle Excise Licences will be issued to vehicles from Wednesday, October 1, 2003 onwards

Mickle 19 September 2003 04:06 PM

Oh that's a bother, i just bought one today .

Boro 19 September 2003 04:15 PM

It must depend where you tax your car. I taxed one at a local VRO and got the "new" style (very colourful, barcode & holograms) and today i taxed a car at the local post office and got the old style.

alcazar 19 September 2003 04:20 PM

And discs to prove you're insured, like what the French have???

Oh no, forgot, the government don't get a lot of money from that, so they're not interested in enforcing it:(:
Alcazar

S.B. 19 September 2003 04:29 PM

Will i still be able to photocopy them?

Brendan Hughes 19 September 2003 04:48 PM

BuRR - that was using the Scoobynet date system. They've actually been on sale since the 10th of January, if you edit your request enough times.

BuRR 19 September 2003 04:54 PM

:D

Dazza01 19 September 2003 05:03 PM

You mean these...

https://www.photobucket.com/albums/0...a/10003b8a.jpg

[Edited by Dazza01 - 9/19/2003 5:04:21 PM]

alcazar 19 September 2003 05:04 PM

Ooh, ooh, oooh, Miss Jones..I want one.:D:
Alcazar

Gridlock Mikey 19 September 2003 05:13 PM

Alcazar, it's an effin tax disc :rolleyes:

;)

Mikey :cool:

newby to scooby 19 September 2003 05:14 PM

Tough Alcazar you'll have to go and buy your own !!!

:D

Mickle 19 September 2003 05:53 PM

Ooooooooooo it's got to be worth the money now!

(NOT)

johnfelstead 19 September 2003 05:57 PM

cool, another registration number to clone for the next stolen Impreza. ;)

Dazza012 19 September 2003 06:21 PM

y u thinking of going out and nicking one then.....

Boro 19 September 2003 06:39 PM

I must need glasses, i cant even read the effin reg number :eek:

And discs to prove you're insured, like what the French have???

Oh no, forgot, the government don't get a lot of money from that, so they're not interested in enforcing it
This is already monitored by the government (MOTOR INSURANCE DATABASE) or MID

And soon MOT's will be databased, so one check of your reg number and they old bill will know if you have TAX, INSURANCE AND MOT.

And you know what'll be next....

Cameras that take a pic of reg numbers and send out fines/summons to those without any or all of the above, all automatically!!!

greasemonkey 19 September 2003 06:45 PM

*rse. I was hoping they'd make them a different size so all those who've bought those silly aluminium holders would have to chuck them away... ;)

Boro 19 September 2003 06:53 PM

Never mind greasy, you'll have to put something else on your christmas wish list ;)

bluto22b 19 September 2003 07:27 PM

>Cameras that take a pic of reg numbers and send out fines/summons to those without any or all of the above, all automatically!!!
Oh really, now whats that oval shaped pink snouted creature just flying overhead? :rolleyes:

Dazza012 19 September 2003 07:37 PM

Boro it's ??? ??? surprised u can't see it cos i can..:)

Greasemonkey..now wouldn't that be nice..:)

[Edited by Dazza012 - 9/19/2003 7:39:01 PM]

Boro 19 September 2003 09:20 PM

Oh really, now whats that oval shaped pink snouted creature just flying overhead?
The technology is already in place mate and is working on motorways in and around the london area RIGHT NOW! Snapping reg numbers and checking if recorded stolen.

Someone help me out here and tell me which motorway and teach this muppet not to question me :p

Boro 19 September 2003 09:36 PM

Oi Muppet, read this :)

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

An extract...

Linked together via computer they take an image of every vehicle that passes by, speeding or not. They then by number plate recognition pair up the images on the video of matching number plates and because each image has a date and time stamp, again readable by the computer.

So what could be next from a system like this

Well, we know it can read a number plate, so the system with a little extra programming, if it hasn't been done all ready, could be used to track vehicles or even terrorists and criminals. A similar system is in use in the City of London, the Ring of Steel, Not a bad idea, in fact this is what its best use could be for. It could also be used to cross reference Tax, and if they get their act together with the insurance companies, it could check if a car is insured. The processing of this information can be done in seconds.
Now..... where was that oval pink snouted thing you saw?

Leslie 20 September 2003 11:20 AM

I just heard the thud as it hit the ground :D Bacon for tea!

This checking of cars has been mooted for some time now and it is well within the technical capabilities of the equipment available. Apart from checking on the legalities of the car it will be very convenient for the authorities to be able to know where people have been driving to and where they have been on a given day. Many see this as an invasion of privacy and see the days of "Big Brother" arriving in the foreseeable future!

Les

yoza 20 September 2003 11:28 AM

Why do they have dates on them?

Is it to show everybody when you bought your car?

Mine says 31.05.01.

ScottishScoob 20 September 2003 02:10 PM

There was an article in the Scotsman motoring section a while back talking about new registration plates coming into force in 2004/05 time which will have an embedded micro chip, these will be fitted to all new vehicles and or replacement plates.

When you are in close proximity to a meat wagon, your car will be scanned checking, MOT, Insurance, Tax etc and further scanning could be carried out by roadside equipment (from what I understand all these blue Traffic Master posts are equipped!) this again will allow them to monitor your average speed :o

I agree with the checking of the manditory Tax, MOT and insurance documentation, this can only be a good thing! but silent monitoring of ones speed is pushing it too far!