ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   4 pot brakes problem URGENT! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/250800-4-pot-brakes-problem-urgent.html)

martin850 15 September 2003 07:27 PM

I have just fitted some four pots from a V5 to my MY95 WRX. When the engine is off the brakes feel fine but as soon as I start the engine the pedal goes straight to the floor and has no brake feel.I have blead the brakes four times but with little or no improvement!

I have looked through some of the old posts and on one of them it says that bleed nipple must be on top but I have fitted the calipers with it at the bottom why is this and would swapping the calipers over stop this problem?

I urgently need my car back on the road so please anyone who had and solved this problem I would be very grateful.

Martin850

scoobyboy 15 September 2003 07:40 PM

well air rises to the top doesn't it which is why a bleed nipple is at the top to let it out. you got the nipples at the bottom so the top of the caliper is probably full of air which won't come out.swap them over and rebleed

just a word of advice brakes are an important part of the car if your not sure how things should work then let somebody who does know do it for you. it could be the difference between life or death.

alcazar 15 September 2003 07:41 PM

Well air will always rise to the top of a liquid, so if your nipple is at the bottom, how do you get the air from the top, out?
Alcazar

Mike Tuckwood 15 September 2003 07:44 PM

You have the calipers on upside down. :eek:

The air will rise to the top, you are opening the bleed valve at the bottom and letting out the brake fluid. :o

The calipers are still actually full of air and will NEVER bleed properly like this.

I strongly recommend that you get an experienced mechanic or similar to check out the whole sytem before you try to drive it (don't mean to ofend). This could be your life (or somebody elses) that you are dabbling with here.

Mike.

martin850 15 September 2003 09:07 PM

No offence taken guys. Have done calipers before but was a while ago so forgot about the nipple having to be up. Sounds obvious now and I look stupid. Oh well at least I haven't drven it any where. Will let you know if swapping them works. Thanks for you speedy replys.

Leslie 16 September 2003 01:38 PM

Yes you have them on the wrong sides, I fitted them a little while ago with the bleed nipples correctly on top and have had no trouble at all. You will really like the brakes compared to the 2 pots!

Les :)

greasemonkey 16 September 2003 04:05 PM

:rolleyes: Aren't the castings clearly marked L and R?

JamieMacdonald 16 September 2003 06:56 PM

No :rolleyes:

tweenierob 16 September 2003 06:58 PM

:rolleyes: Arent they marked TOP and BOTTOM

Rob

Leviathan 16 September 2003 07:04 PM

Now now chaps:D
poor bloke:D

cool red scooby 19 September 2003 12:51 PM

>>>> how do you get the air from the top, out? <<<<

Turn the car upside down ???

caz1562 19 September 2003 02:34 PM