ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Hard to change gears!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/249340-hard-to-change-gears.html)

jbagh 11 September 2003 09:58 AM

My 1999 GT Turbo has become VERY hard to shift from 1st. to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, the rest of the gears are fine! Once I get it into gear there is no problems... The clutch has been inspected, with no faults. The gearbox has been inspected, and the small clips that "guides" the syncros onto the gearwheels, are replaced, but it only helped very little. any ideas anyone??

Faulty shiftfalk?, faulty gearstick? I'm blank........

scoobyslut 11 September 2003 12:44 PM

have seen boxes where the syncro rings are highly polished. This create similar problems. Cured by removing syncro rings, and flatting the driven surfaces with some fine "wet n dry" paper till a "matt" surface is visible.

This occurs normally if the gearchange is "raced" or too quick a change between the gears, so the syncro's heat up and shine up.

RRE 11 September 2003 02:03 PM

I had a simular problem with my gearbox after a renewal of 1-3 gear. It turned out to be a bend shifting fork. It seems like it grabs the gear right, but after running with it for a month it blew up again. When I took it apart you could see that it only took the gears half way :-(

jbagh 11 September 2003 09:01 PM

It happend when i raced - I think i might have pulled the stick before the clutch was fully depressed......

jbagh 11 September 2003 09:06 PM

So i clean the syncros or change them? the forks seem straight, they line up perfect when holding them up.

jbagh 12 September 2003 11:49 AM

bttt

jbagh 14 September 2003 10:26 AM

bttt

jbagh 16 September 2003 02:32 PM

bttt

jbagh 19 September 2003 09:57 AM

help.......

mobile-mouse 19 September 2003 10:37 AM

Mine is doing the same. Just had it in for a service and have been told that the clutch is on it's way out. The mechanic at the dealership says that the clutch isn't disengaging from the flywheel fully and that is what is causing the gearbox selection problem. I've been advised to get it sorted soon or the gearbox will start to break.

So i'm looking for a decent clutch without paying silly money...

hope this helps.

jbagh 19 September 2003 02:40 PM

Ok thanks.. Because I just ordered all the parts that control 1st. and 2nd gear.... 350£

Is it enough to change the release bearing on the clutch?

mobile-mouse 19 September 2003 06:00 PM

Don't know sorry.

I'd try and get it to a dealer and let them test drive it they deal with them every day and it wouldn't cost anything to ask.

jbagh 19 September 2003 09:59 PM

They said : Erhm.... Strange... We can disemble the hole thing and replace the parts...... $$$$$$

So I wanted to hear you guys if you had some expierence or had some knowledge :)

jbagh 22 September 2003 12:55 PM

bttt