ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STI PPP & QUICKSHIFT COMMENTS PLEASE (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/248820-sti-ppp-and-quickshift-comments-please.html)

nicebloke36 09 September 2003 10:32 PM

any comments on the 2003 sti upgrades ??? im thinking of getting my 5mth old sti type uk ppp'd and also the 6 speed quickshift fitted
any comments on both would be very appreciated
thanks in advance paul

Gary C 09 September 2003 10:35 PM

I wonder if its possible to do a group buy for the PPP kit ?

Foxmod 09 September 2003 10:39 PM

When you have the money go for the PPP, I will be - I'm just going to get use to the car in standard spec first;)

As for the quickshift, I was going to order one from new but then found that it doesn't make that much difference on an 8, (the 8 is fairly quick anyway) it DID make a difference on a STI7 however.

I guess you're the only one who can decide....

Phil 09 September 2003 10:46 PM

All IMHO

PPP is must had mine since new

Short Shift not required as the gear shift is pretty much short enough

( R6 CDW ) 10 September 2003 12:20 AM

Phil ! nail head and hammer.

The s6x speed box is a cracker, short tight throw, save your dosh.

But do get p'ed up, like phil had it done from new, turns yir motor into a beastie.

chris

T5NYW 10 September 2003 06:18 AM

Agreed with the others with Qshift, although I own a Sti7 ;) better of to buy Prodrive Handling Pack :cool:

Tony

nellie 10 September 2003 08:11 AM

Just one question? how on earth can it make a difference on a STI7 and not on a STI8 considering that it is exactly the same running gear on both cars!! just had a new gearbox on warrenty on my STI7 and it feels exactly the same as the STI8PPP that i had when the work was being done,thought it was just a few minor suspension changes on the 8,which IMHO were done just to show that IM hadnt just changed the shape at the front!!!,having driven both they seem exactly he same if anything mine seemed quicker and handled better than the 8,but i have done quite a few suspension changes,and its runs at about 325BHP(STI7)still both scoobys so both great cars!!!!

[Edited by nellie - 9/10/2003 8:15:02 AM]

[Edited by nellie - 9/10/2003 8:16:15 AM]

Neilo 10 September 2003 10:48 AM

I had thought of getting the quickshift put on my 03WRX, anybody got any thoughts on if thats worth it? i can understand it not making that much difference on an sti, but would it on mine?

cheers,

newbie_scoobie 10 September 2003 12:44 PM

Was thinking, if the Sti short shift is short enough, and the PPP comes with a new short shift, does anyone have a short shifter that I could blag for my WRX MY03 that's going spare after a PPP'ing?
Will it fit (I know the WRX is 5 spd and the Sti a ^ spd box).
I would be willing to pay a bob or two, but since it is one of the genuine things left over with no use, I have a good home for it.

All donations gratefully received.

Col

sammyh 10 September 2003 12:47 PM

Quick shift is quite good actually :D PPP even better and the springs finish things off quite well ;) :D :D :D

emilybronte 10 September 2003 02:51 PM

There is a good thread on STI 8 upgrades under Drivetrain.
I also have an STI 8 that needs to be sorted as I am bored with the strangled feeling under 3.5k at present.
There are some great updates that you should read before parting with your cash. I have spoken to a few tuning places and am seriously thinking of not giving Subaru £2k for the PPP but spending a similar amount with Scoobysport for 340bhp. G-Force also offer a solid looking upgrade for that kind of money that would beat the PPP. It depends on how you look at the warranty side of it. The PPP retains the original warranty, other mods dont.. My view is, if my engine blows up within 3 years, Subaru are getting the car back. Through the door or the window is their choice. cheers Emily

nicebloke36 10 September 2003 04:55 PM

nice one ms bronte, but im not gonna go down that path myself, i had a classic with ppp sports cat down pipe, and plenty of other bits an bobs, was approx 260 bhp, however the sti 8 standerd feels much quicker. thing is for me im gonna stick with my warrenty and get the ppp, two reasons,
1) you get some of it back resale [dont get much for other mods from a dealer]
2) i love the prodrive exhaust note, quiet but rumbly at low revs then lovely racing rasp at high revs
3) i said two reasons didnt i ??? lol well anyway id rather have a warrenty than not
been bitten once already, bmw 328i, engine cooked, car just out of warrenty, and had been serviced once [minor service] outside bmw. anyway i thought wouldnt be a prob getting bmw to cough up as i knew the service manager quite well, thought wrong, bmw bossess above him looked for every reason NOT to fix car, they wanted nearly six grand to put it right, ended up going to a normal garage an it still cost just over 3k !!!
sorry, i know there are plenty of decent reliable mods out there, after all i had em on my classic, but ill go with the 300bhp an 299 lb of torque plus peace of mind thanks very much, if my car was three years old then , hell yeah id take that risk, but it aint its 5mths old an i aint gonna tempt old mr fate again !!!!! lololol
best wishes paul

nicebloke36 10 September 2003 05:05 PM

oh and what is the prodrive handling pack, what is it, whats it do, and of course how much wedge is it ???
paul

nicebloke36 10 September 2003 08:11 PM

come on someone must have a comment ??
lol paul

Phil 10 September 2003 08:12 PM

Prodrive Springs £225 plus fitting

Mine arrived today ready for TSL to fit next week

Phil

russell hayward 10 September 2003 08:26 PM

newbie_scoobie

The PPP does not include a quick shift !

nicebloke36 10 September 2003 09:08 PM

do you get much difference in the prodrive springs as opposed to the sti uk type springs ?????? ie, cosmetically and handling wise
paul

Phil 10 September 2003 09:11 PM

I'll tell you this time next week

But Tom Butler and SammyH are both impressed

Foxmod 10 September 2003 09:44 PM

Phil,

Could you give me an idea how much TSL are charging to fit the spring kit please?

Dave

Phil 10 September 2003 09:45 PM

must admit I didn't ask

I'll phone tomorrow

nicebloke36 10 September 2003 10:05 PM

last time i had eibachs fitted to my classic, and the geometry set to prodrive standard cost me bout a ton i think
paul

Foxmod 10 September 2003 11:18 PM

cheers;)