ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Tyres, whats the flavor of the month? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/247404-tyres-whats-the-flavor-of-the-month.html)

paulwadams_my99 09 May 2003 11:52 PM

Okay thanks for the replies.

When I bought the last set of tyres everyone was raving about the toyos. Not having any other experiences other than the p-zero's i bought them for traction in the wet. Something i found the p-zeros were poor at, although progressive nonetheless with understeer. When i got them fitted I straight away felt that they were not as good turn in in the dry. They felt like the car dipped far more into the corners. After running them in i think i got used to it and the handling in the wet was much better. I also found that the p-zeros (these are the old ones) lasted much longer than my current toyos. Since not following the recent threads i thought i would ask if things had moved on and general experiences had changed. Searching through the threads I see the F1's have some high exposure and also the new p-zero's. I guess I am after an alround tyre, excellent grip dry, excellent grip wet, hard side walls (without tramlining). If anyone makes them let me know ;)

I am particularly interested in the new p-zeros , nero etc. As recent threads seem promising. Are the F1's really as good as people make out to be?

Cheers

Paul.

[Edited by paulwadams_my99 - 9/5/2003 11:54:33 PM]

paulwadams_my99 05 September 2003 05:50 PM

Hi,

been away from scoobynet and the likes for some time now but just got a puncture on my rear wheel. To be honest they all need replacing.

I went from Pirelli p-zero's to Toyo Proxies, but would like to know what the current favorite is and the sizes recomended on 17".

I found the toyo's better in the wet but the p-zeros had stronger side walls. I am tempted to go back to the originals.

Any advice appreciated on all experiences.

Cheers

Paul.

SPLITTER 05 September 2003 06:06 PM

dunno m8tee
im running a mix at the mo:p
potenzas on back and pzeros on front
[tightwad]
havent had a chance to exploit em yet as im a newbie
but after castle combe ill be looking for some new rubber no doubt:p
oh yeah the rears seem to break out bfore the pzeroz
but i dont know if potenzas are any good or what?

SlowBoy 05 September 2003 10:19 PM

You might get more worthwhile replies if you specify what you're after in a tyre. Lots of people here like F1s, but while they're good in the wet, that might not be your priority.

Scoobydick 05 September 2003 10:41 PM

In the grand scheme of things F1's and Toyos are very similar - people come on here and big up their favourite but IMHO very similar compound, tread pattern, sidewall strength. Toyos are a lot easier to get cheap though. Compared to Potenzas, P-zeros etc both have soft side walls so no tramlining, easy to control on the limits, but feel a bit rolly on turn in. Also both excellent in heavy wet. Also both seem quite well balanced with respect to understeer / oversteer if you have a matched set. I would tend to run these on higher pressures than some tyres - in fact I sometimes thought my Toyos were flat until I checked the pressures because the sidewalls can hardly support the weight of the car - probably makes for a good contact patch though explaining the grip.

Boro 06 September 2003 12:17 PM

Ive just about scrubbed in my new 215/40/17 F1 GSD03's and cant fault them, loads more grip than i need, no tramlining, low road noise levels and cheap at £340 inclusive.

Would defo choose the same again.

paulwadams_my99 07 September 2003 01:18 AM

just got 4 * F1 goodyear for £300 all in so i took it. too drunk to comment but seem very like toyo's in dry. need to see wet.