ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Too stupid to use a/v tools? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/246622-too-stupid-to-use-a-v-tools.html)

IWatkins 09 March 2003 11:02 PM

SB,

Know how you feel. I'm on dial-up (ISDN, but still slow).

Been using www.mail2web.com to check and delete these from my mailbox before firing up Outlook. Saves some time.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 9/3/2003 11:03:03 PM]

Sbradley 03 September 2003 06:19 PM

Probably SIAL but I need to get this off my chest.

I've received poxy Sobig.F 138 times so far today.

My antivirus software catches and kills it. So does everyone else's.

So why the **** are people still connecting to the poxy ******* ****ing internet without using either a firewall or an antivirus tool? Especially when they are obviously online the whole ****ing time!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'll go take my medicine now. Thanks for humouring me.

SB

ChrisB 04 September 2003 08:31 AM

As somebody said in the thread the other day, you can buy a PC next to a washing machine in Comet etc.

People don't have to patch / upgrade their washing machines or cooker. Ignorance is bliss!

One of my customer sites was getting three copies of Sobig a minute on Monday. GroupShield has paid for it's self now.

Sbradley 04 September 2003 09:29 AM

Update.

My sobig deliveries peaked at 19 times a minute and I ended up receiving it 346 times.

It appears that it came from a manufacturer who were allowing their sales team to come in and plug their own laptops into the network without any safeguards :eek:

They are considering my offer of some consultancy to get them back out of the poo - at the moment they are completely offline. Honestly. Users :rolleyes:

SB

ozzy 04 September 2003 09:45 AM

do I hear money and old rope in the same sentance ;)

I must have received a few thousand alerts from our Groupshield servers with this fecking virus since last week.

Stefan

Chris L 04 September 2003 01:05 PM

Sally's Dad bought a new PC last week. 'Give it to me' I said. 'Why?' came the reply - because it will need patching and I've got broadband and you haven't ;)

3 hours later, I finished downloading in excess of 80Mb worth of Windows updates / security patches, AV software, firewall etc etc.

It's a nightmare, I'm going to pick up my Sister's PC and do exactly the same tomorrow. Ignorance is bliss....

Chris

Hobo_Jojo 04 September 2003 01:16 PM

it should be made illegal to connect to the net without av software and a firewall

ChrisB 04 September 2003 01:17 PM

Anothe fine point there.

I went to look at a home PC on Tuesday. Windows 98SE and a 28.8k modem :eek:

Was I going to sit there and grab the 20MB of Critical Updates for it? I think not...

Nimbus 04 September 2003 01:23 PM

My father-in-law is getting a new PC delivered tomorrow (DELL with XP Home). I'm currently creating a disk of patches.

WinXP SP1
WinXP Blaster Security Fix
Office XP SP1 & SP2

I'm also going to install ZoneAlarm. He has Norton AV included.

Have I got everything I need?

Hobo_Jojo 04 September 2003 01:28 PM

a whole host of critical updates