ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Which Broadband Provider (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/246114-which-broadband-provider.html)

Bajie 02 September 2003 11:00 AM

Pretty self explanatory title really :D

Going back to BT and will be getting Broadband ASAP after that.
I'm torn between Pipex, Nildram and BTOpenworld.
Have spoken to some people regarding Pipex and BTO, and, apart from customer service issues with BTO, they both APPEAR very similar.
I'm thinking of making a wireless network at home so I don't have to be "stuck" at a desk while working.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I've been here ADSL Guide and it is a very good source of information. Just wanted to see how you guys play the Broadband game.

Thanks in Advance

Ian

chiark 02 September 2003 11:07 AM

I added up the initial cost of ownership, and TCO too...

Pipex saves over 100 quid if you don't have a modem.

Activation
BTO/Eclipse/Nildram: 50 quid + vat activation
Pipex: activation free

Modem
BTO/Eclipse/Nildram: 40-60 quid
Pipex: 15 quid, including 2 microfilters

Monthly 512kb connection
Others: >20 quid
Pipex: 19.99

So far I'm very impressed, and I'm consistently hitting 60KB/sec download speeds.

If you want a different modem/router/firewall then the pipex modem ain't that great. I'm using the Alcatel Speedtouch 330USB that they provide for 15 quid on a small box that's running IPCop. It recognised it straight away :D

Cheers,
Nick.

boxst 02 September 2003 11:09 AM

Hello

You forgot to add Zen to that list!

Steve.

chiark 02 September 2003 12:21 PM

True! From my research, it seemed the Nildram, Eclipse and Pipex are always in the top three... Do have a look at adslguide.org.uk and check the comparisons

darlodge 02 September 2003 12:36 PM

Pipex are by far the best on price at the moment.

I normally suggest Nildram (as I have them) but you can't go wrong with either Pipex or Nildram IMO.

Darren

beemerboy 02 September 2003 12:39 PM

i got a brand new "pipex supplied" USB modem if you want to save money..

as i changed it for a router.

BB:)

Wario 02 September 2003 04:32 PM

I have been with Nildram for nearly 2 years and simply cannot fault them, and on the ADSL guide speed test I always get 477Kbps downstream and 246Kbps upstream.

starstruck 02 September 2003 04:53 PM

Bajie,
I was going through this confusion over the weekend. Went for Pipex and, so far, their communications have been superb. Dont know what the service will be like but the cost compares favourably with others and lots of people are recommending them.

Cheers

AndyMoody 02 September 2003 07:11 PM

I'm on Pipex and have not had any problems at all. Probably too late now but if I recommend a new customer and they take it up I get a month free. You should be able to do the same after a month.

Andy.

Bajie 03 September 2003 09:46 AM

Thanks all for the guidance and opinions.

@Andy
I don't get my BT line till next week so can't do anything until then. If you want to recommend me to Pipex we'll sort it out then as they seem to be the best all round option for me.