ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Boost control hose, what to use? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/243348-boost-control-hose-what-to-use.html)

Tone Loc 24 August 2003 09:45 PM

I'm in the process of a little project and am trying to gather all the bits and bobs i need. On my shopping list is some hose to replace the standard boost control stuff. The problem is i've not found anything suitable yet (samco stuff can only be used for vacuum applications). I think the bore is about 3 and 4mm. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be blue, black would do.

Cheers,

Tony.

RON 24 August 2003 09:51 PM

I went into Merlin motorsports at Castle Combe last week for exactly that, he sold me the vacuum hose, so I fitted it, and it works well, I got 4mm!!
The minimumis 1metre, so I have about 3ft left!

Tone Loc 24 August 2003 10:00 PM

Cheers Ron,

I have heard a lot of people have used the samco vacuum hose with no problem. However i have also heard that it expands quite badly under boost. I don't really want that, don't want any hose failing or poping off :eek: .

Tony.

RON 24 August 2003 10:03 PM

I went round all the local motor factors, and all they could offer me was fuel hose, or washer stuff, so the Samco vacuum stuff was the best of a bad bunch, it is quite firm, and it is clipped afer-all, so it shouldn't pop off, not unless you're using about 20bar!!!

*Sonic* 24 August 2003 10:11 PM

Why do you want to replace the hose?

RON 24 August 2003 10:12 PM

Mine had several cracks in it, and it was leaking!

john banks 24 August 2003 10:14 PM

The Samco stuff I got from Falkland is rated for 6 bar pressure. 3-4mm ID can't remember exactly.

RON 24 August 2003 10:20 PM

Tony,
How much do you need?
If it's not miles, mail me your address and I'll post you a lump, if you don't like it, don't use it!

Ron.

Tone Loc 24 August 2003 10:23 PM

John,

I've just looked on the Samco web site and can't see anything in that ID that is recommended for pressurised applications. The standard hose only goes down to about 6mm ID :confused: .

I need the hose as im installing a new inlet manifold and the take offs for the boost control hoses are all in different places so i can't use the orginal ones.

Tony.

Tone Loc 24 August 2003 10:24 PM

Cheers Ron :D .

I need about 2 metres or so. YHM.

Tony.

john banks 25 August 2003 09:24 AM

It plainly says 6 bar on the packet.

Tone Loc 25 August 2003 03:10 PM

Is it the vacuum hose they advertise in Demon Tweeks etc?

Tony.

ScoobyDuck 25 August 2003 05:14 PM

in exactly the same boat -trying to get my boost back under control.
had a huge search trying to find out what to use & would really like to know what!
as Tony says .. Samco doesnt list a pressure application for 3-4mm internal hosing!!! :eek:

HELP!
Steve

ScoobyDuck 26 August 2003 11:57 AM

bttt coz I'd like to know what people are using!?!?

john banks 26 August 2003 12:08 PM

Try ringing Falkland and get them to check on the back of the packet. The stuff I had was red Samco.

RON 26 August 2003 12:11 PM

Tony,
I've posted a sample of what I'm using for you, it's blue though, so not the same stuff that John's on about, see what you think.

David_Wallis 26 August 2003 12:28 PM

im using some vacumn hose from direct components..

I tested it up to 50psi.. seems ok :D

However I want to protect it better from heat soak.

David

RON 31 August 2003 07:59 PM

Tony,

Did you get the bit of pipe??

What did you think??

Ron.

Bob Rawle 31 August 2003 10:26 PM

Halfords sell 3.8mm fuel hose which is perfect for this, in 1 meter lengths.

bob

StickyMicky 31 August 2003 10:55 PM

i bought 3meters of red silicone hose from tsunami racing and used zip ties on the ends to make sure it wouldnt pop off under boost, ive had no problems with it

Tone Loc 01 September 2003 10:52 AM

Ron,

Finally got to see the hose you sent over the weekend (working away from home during the week at the moment). Thanks for that. To be honest it looks far better stuff than i got with my old Dawes Device. This must obviously be intended to take pressure but it definately didn't look as good as the Samco hose.

Bob, going to Halfords tonight so i'll have a look at the hose you suggest.

Cheers,

Tony.

ScoobyDuck 01 September 2003 04:58 PM

fix :rolleyes:

ScoobyDuck 02 September 2003 05:03 PM

didnt get to Halfords & wont 2nite ..
did you Tony ?

Steve

Tone Loc 11 September 2003 12:58 PM

Finally got to Halfords.... near Milton Keynes (with Ripspeed section). Asked two guys and they both looked at me as if i was stupid. They don't seem to think they sell either fuel injection hose, vacumm hose etc. All they could show me was bloody windscreen washer stuff. Should this be on show or just behind the service desk (asked them too).... looks like i maybe give the samco stuff a try :( .

Tony.

RON 11 September 2003 01:27 PM

Tony,
as already said, it works fine for me, and to be honest, unless you were able to have your head under the bonnet whilst on boost, you wouldn't really notice/ feel any difference while on the road, it feels like the day I fitted it, whereas fuel hose went horrible in no time!!

Ron.

Tone Loc 11 September 2003 02:07 PM

I agree.... the order should be with Rally design tommorrow (along with a load of other things too :D ).

Tony.

Jack0 11 September 2003 08:05 PM

Tony,
Stick with the standard stuff, Scoob OEM boost hose is pretty good!
Find the longest length under your bonnet, go to a dealer or ask him to fax you the microcat page with the boost control hoses on, pic out the one you want, order a couple of lengths, then cut to suit.
I have tried samco and Ford boost hose, but none are as good as Scoob OEM gear IMHO.

Suck and see I guess..!

Jacko.