ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Accuracy Of Converted Speedo's (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/241115-accuracy-of-converted-speedos.html)

MrBlond 18 August 2003 10:33 AM

Hi, Been asked to post on here by a mate of mine who bought a 1994 Impreza Sti Type RA or something (is that right)
Anyway the question is this the car is an import model and hasnt really been modded (as far as he knows) except for an exhast, and filter. The spedo although originally in KPH has been converted to MPH using the same clock face hence it now reads upto 240 MPH instead of KPH. how accurate are these conversions... I have my suspicions that the speedo isnt terribly accurate beacause although the car is pretty quick we were seeing almost 170MPH on the clock with arround 5-600 revs to go.. I seriously doubt the car can accieve this speed or is geared for anywhere near it. Does some one have any info on the car and its possible top speed, or the accuracy of this type of speedo conversion
Thanks in advance
Phil

MrBlond 18 August 2003 11:38 AM

anyone?

Scooby96 18 August 2003 11:46 AM

Thats sounds well out!

MrBlond 18 August 2003 12:00 PM

What should the top end of these cars be?
It (to me anyway) seems to have really short gears thats mainly why i suspect it cant go that fast! It 'feels' like its arround the 150ish mark if that...

misty 18 August 2003 12:20 PM

Get yourself a Road Angel. It has a built in g.p.s. speedo!
dave

Leslie 18 August 2003 12:51 PM

According to my Snooper Neo, my converted speedo(including replacement clock face) is 10% fast. (MY94 STI)

Les

misty 18 August 2003 01:30 PM

My my/o2 wrx, is 10% fast as well.
dave

GC8 18 August 2003 07:54 PM

Any car that's less than 10 years old and not a personal import (imported by an owner who lived abroard for at least one year and owned the car for at least six months); must have passed an SVA test in order to be registered. In order to be SVA'd the speedo must not under-read and may over-read by a maximum of 10%.

Simon

chrisp 18 August 2003 08:12 PM

My RA is geared at 20mph/1000rpm in 5th so 20 is 1000rpm, 40 is 2000rpm, 60 is 3000rpm. I dont know the gearing on the 94 RA but some of the earlier RA were as low as 17mph so 170mph would be 10,000rpm.

If your speedo is out then your odo would be out to I guess. If your drive over a set route in one car and then yours compare the distances on the trip meter.

itsajapthing 18 August 2003 08:17 PM

GC8 thats quite true but...

I know of a couple importers who have sets of clocks for sva and then just put clockfaces on the cars after passing SVA !!!:rolleyes:(names witheld to protect the guilty)

Clockfaces generally are pants i go for chips/mechanical conversions as they tend to be hassle free sounds like yours is doing KMS but with MPH sticker over it check gearbox for a convertor or behind clocks for an additional chip in wiring.

G

:cool: