ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   30 mile thrash home last night and now........ (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/239972-30-mile-thrash-home-last-night-and-now.html)

pottsy 14 August 2003 08:45 AM

Boost solenoid is clicking really fast on idle and continues to do so for about 2 or 3 seconds after I turn the engine off.
It used to click slowly on idle and never after I turned it off.
Thought it might just have been last night when it had had a thrashing but it did it this morning too.
Any ideas? MY97 UK by the way.

pottsy 14 August 2003 12:02 PM

Top - before I drive about while I shouldn't!

Scooby96 14 August 2003 12:58 PM

did you do a proper warm up / down?

pottsy 14 August 2003 01:10 PM

Yes - drove steadily for the last 5 miles and gave it a couple of minutes before I turned it off

pottsy 14 August 2003 01:11 PM

Yes - drove steadily for the last 5 miles and gave it a couple of minutes before I turned it off

Foot_Tapper 14 August 2003 03:55 PM

Is your idle speed up above the norm as well ??

pottsy 14 August 2003 04:59 PM

yes idle speed up slightly. noticed that too!
Edited to say : Foot tapper - Have you had a similiar problem

[Edited by pottsy - 8/14/2003 5:02:08 PM]

JIMBO STI 14 August 2003 05:09 PM

sometimes takes more than a couple of mins b4 turn off. if you listen very carefully you'll here the engine dip then turn off. the other night i done the same it took a good 10 mins before i could turn off engine.

Foot_Tapper 14 August 2003 06:01 PM

I had a prob where the idle was up to 1900 and stuck there.
When turning off engine, could hear what we thought was the boost solenoid clicking over like yours.

Garage swapped out the idle control valve....cured it for 2 months.

Prob returned on a long drive when stuck in traffic...turned off..and swithched off for 10 mins...carried on , still there, then suddenly was ok again after 5 mins.
Not sure what caused it, we thought it may be electrical.
Gave the ISCV elec connector a wd40 spray and cleaned connections.
Added extra earthing points to engine.
Looked at all hoses around solenoid area & found one gunked up.

Seems sweet as a nut again.

ScoobyDuck 15 August 2003 12:25 PM

pottsy,

had EXACTLY the same on my MY97 & have heard of others having it too.
there was a thread I wrote a while back with the info in it, I'll try to find it, but ticking on idle is WRONG !
it should only tick when you crack the throttle open a little.
it's coz the ECU thinks you've got the throttle open a touch.
in the end, my garage replaced the throttle body & that cured it!
I'm still convinced it was something to do with the TPS (throttle position switch).
if I left mine on idle for about 5mins, when I pressed the throttle it just bliped & nothing else! :eek: & if I turned the engine off, and started it again, it was all back to normal! v.v.weird!

Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 8/15/2003 12:28:23 PM]

pottsy 15 August 2003 12:37 PM

Strangely it seemed ok last night and this morning, that would make sense if a throttle position switch was involved I guess. It obviously "fixed" itself. I would guess it briefly settled in the worng position or something. Had all the hoses off last night and none seem blocked or anything so it can't have been that. Boost also seems a lot more stable today as I notice is was a little unsteady (you could feel it about 4000 kind of pulling better and then a bit worse and then better again).
?????!!!! Cars!
Thanks for the replies anyway folks.
Does a Dawes effectively do away with the boost solenoid? I am thinking of fitting one along with a boost gauge and AFR meter.

Scruff 15 August 2003 06:56 PM

Happened on my last car too. It used to happen on rare occasions especially after a good thrashing and I think it was put down to engine oil contaminating the solenoid. This I believe can happen on high speed bends etc.. I had it happen on and off for 2 years and never caused any probs.

Alan

Scott.T 15 August 2003 07:34 PM

throttle postion switch fault or stuck partially open

Richard Curtis 16 August 2003 12:31 AM

Pottsy - yes a dawes bypasses the boost solenoid but it will still click since the ECU is still trying to control it.

If you take it out completely I think you will get the engine dashboard led permanently stuck on.

You can replace the solenoid with its electrical equivalent resistance if your really desperate.

Rich