ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MOT - possible failure points? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/239058-mot-possible-failure-points.html)

Richardw 11 August 2003 12:39 PM

Hi Folks,

My 1st MOT on my MY00 is due in the next few weeks and wondered if the following would be cause for failure :

Clear indicators/side repeaters
TSL straight through center section ( with Prodrive back box )
WRC style sunvisor fitted to inside of windscreen.

Thanks in advance for your input
Cheers
Rich

nom 11 August 2003 01:12 PM

The problems are typically emissions related - either cats (although you should be fine with the one in the DP!) or a knackered lambda sensor - they can 'go off' after 30,000 miles or so. A good basic check on whether the lambda's OK or not is how your 'economy' is doing - if it's worse (on a like-for-like cruise journey) than it used to be, it's quite possible the lambda's not reading correctly.
But that's it :)

RON 11 August 2003 03:03 PM

And........
the sun visor must not cover any of the wiper sweep area, something to do with vision!!

Richardw 11 August 2003 03:21 PM

cheers for the feedback folks... I'll check the visor tonight.

I think my fuel consumption is consistantly poor but thats probably due to my driving style :D

DJNafey 11 August 2003 07:15 PM

This might sound a little weird but trust me, I'm talking from experience:

Your indicators (or any lights with clear lenses and coloured bulbs) mustn't be too white! I don't think they actually measure the 'whiteness', I think it's just down to the MOT tester's judgement. Basically, coloured bulbs are normally just clear bulbs that are coated with a kind of coloured paint. Over time, this fades and your red brake lights go pink and your orange indicators go white. My Sports Pack Mini Cooper failed it's first MOT just on the 'whiteness' of the lights.

BigRed 11 August 2003 07:34 PM

Agree on the 'white lights' issue , i had a rover(eermm)214 and this failed every year on 'Well sir your indicator lights are too white, sorry it failed' so make sure your bulbs are orange in colour before your MOT, also check your wiper blades for splits in the blade, just changed mine because ive got the scoob in for its first MOT on Wednesday.

Check that ALL your lights are working correctly, get someone to check brake lights for you.

Another trick is to clip the rear seat belts together , then the testers can see that these are ok.

mancamefirst 11 August 2003 07:44 PM

If you are anywhere near TSL they can be very helpful with MOTs ;)

Lee uk300 11 August 2003 08:08 PM

You can have any colored lamp you want, as long as the light emitted is correct.
Sun strips are not a failure item.
You should pass a cat test with just one cat (As long as the cat is hot).
You may fail on Noise tho.

MrDBM 13 August 2003 02:02 PM

not wanting to hijack too much... but I'm in the same situation as Richardw and I'm wondering if a dodgy 02 sensor is an immediate failure?

Oh, and the car is totally standard!

Lee uk300 13 August 2003 08:42 PM

MrDBM
A faulty O2 sensor will cause the car to run rich, in doing so will fail the cat test.

Nog
Spare wheels are not part of a MOT test.

DJNafey 13 August 2003 08:47 PM

I think that's what Nog was saying actually Lee - if the spare wheel/tyre might fail the test, take it out so they can't test it :)

BigRed 13 August 2003 08:49 PM

MY00 went in today for its first MOT , sailed through, me thinking it would fail on tyres and exhaust.

Still cost me £450 for 44k service though, but runs bloody lovely now, and the cluch squeek thats drove me mad for ages has finally been delt with!!!!!

Lee uk300 13 August 2003 09:44 PM

You dont have to take out your spare wheel. It can be as bald as me Grandad and still pass. :)

BigRed 14 August 2003 06:44 PM

cannot get to my spare without removing the sub anyway.:D

Nog 14 August 2003 08:36 PM

Sorry, Lee uk300, the spare tyre MUST be legal if one is in the vehicle, as stated:

26. Condition of spare tyre.

Must have more than 2mm over total width of tyre. Must ‘match’ road tyres. Slim/space saver type tyre must be to manufacturer specification.

27. Condition of spare wheel rim.

Fail if damaged and unsatisfactory for road use.

89. Tyre pressures, including spare.

To manufacturer’s standard.

Sorry! ;)

Lee uk300 15 August 2003 09:48 PM

ermmm sorry Nog.. but i am an MOT tester.. The spare is not a testable item.

and the limit for tyres is 1.6mm not 2mm.
and tyre pressures are not tested.

[Edited by Lee uk300 - 8/15/2003 9:52:33 PM]

Nog 08 December 2003 10:30 PM

My father-in-law used to run a garage with MOT capabilities (ie: enough bays, Etc), and once told me that the ruling on lights is that no white light must be visible from the rear of the vehicle. He never said anything about side repeaters, but that was before the days of clear lenses!!!

Other things to remember:

> Check your tyres.

> If you have a spare wheel, it must be legal (tread wise). If it's not, take it out for the test.

> Check for cracks in the swept portion of the wind screen. Don't have any stickers in the swept portion either - depends how fussy the tester is being on the day.

> Check your wiper blades.

> Ensure your screen washer jets are pointing at the screen, and aren't blocked. Fill up your washer bottle.

All other stuff, except possibly emissions* should be OK on a 3yr old Scooby (eg: CV boots, play on the wheel bearings, bushes, suspension mounts, Etc, Etc).

Finally, don't blame the MOT tester if he does fail you. When a guy is doing an MOT test, he is working for HM Government, NOT the garage, and it is him that is liable for your vehicle's road worthiness!

* If you've completely de-cat'd, you will fail the emissions test, as your CO2 and hydo-carbons will be sky high.

Oh, finally, if you have a Kev'd number plate with illegal spacing, non-compliant character set, or are using the screws to change the appearance of any letters, make sure you put your legal plate on for the test. Then throw away your Kev'd up plate, 'cause you look like a tos*er. ;)

[Edited by Nog - 8/12/2003 10:33:00 PM]