ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Full exhaust or ECUTEK ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/238002-full-exhaust-or-ecutek.html)

NewAgeWRX 07 August 2003 08:04 PM

Hi, im thinking of upping the power of my as yet standard (except WR Sport Back Box) MY02 WRX.

Looking through, there are so many different things to choose from, but i think iv settled on 2 and now have to choose between them.

First option is a full PowerEngineering exhaust system, including the sports CAT (i dont want CEL issues). Now this adds reasonable amount of power and makes way for good future mods, but is quite expensive at around £1100 for the full lot.

Second one is ECUTEK. Mines a UK car and I would loose my warrenty, but power gains are better.

Do you think the full PE system would be almost as good as a full decat ?

Can anyone who's got a MY02 with back box and ECUTEK 2 let me know how good this is ?

Many Thanks

Brun 07 August 2003 08:38 PM

Are you sure you won't lose the warentee with the pipe?????
The dealer doesn't need to know about the Tek;)

sammyh 07 August 2003 08:40 PM

Or you could get both ;) :D

LoFi 07 August 2003 08:55 PM

both

LoFi

stewie 07 August 2003 09:05 PM

Got both on MY01 WRX. Was done at PE.Very pleased with the results
275 bhp & 265lbs of torque. GET BOTH!!!!

pryally 07 August 2003 10:50 PM

hi

i also have my02 with wr sport back box and ecetek done at scoobysport. very impressed, also got tsl centre decat section)
I am looking to sell my car so may split and sell the remapped chip.
would you be interested? (anybody know how you can swap chips and still get the keys to work?)

mark

Beer Good 07 August 2003 11:11 PM

Quote from Subaru dealer:

"Exhausts only add a couple of horsepower, customers buy them more for the noise".

The car already had Prodrive exhaust fitted.

Funny how you get told something different when you are about to lay out six or seven hundred quid?

Buyer beware.........

Interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar?

Brun 07 August 2003 11:34 PM

But they were not talking bout the down pipe huh ;)

Rob D 08 August 2003 09:26 AM

Newage, you could try a Milltek full exhaust with a sports cat for just over £900, and save yourself £200 to put towards a remap! :)

ADP 08 August 2003 09:34 AM

how much are the chips at Scoobysport?? anyone

nom 08 August 2003 09:40 AM

...or if you're only worried about CEL issues to with the the cat, just get one of those O2 sensor fiddle boxes & skip the expensive cat completely?

Pete Croney 08 August 2003 10:16 AM

ADp an EcuTek map is £763 inc vat and the OBDII fix for a decat exhaust is £58 inc vat.

If we are mapping the car, the OBDII fix is not required as we can switch this function off in the ECU.

Mungo 08 August 2003 05:37 PM

Pete is that for Ecutek 2 or 3?

Pete Croney 09 August 2003 10:18 AM

Either and if you go for a 2 by mail order, we upgrade to 3 when you can get over to us, free of charge.

NewAgeWRX 09 August 2003 12:03 PM

AHHhhh, that sound more like it. Didnt know it could be turned off in software !!!

MMM,suddenly a full decat and tek3 are sounding alot more my 'thing' !! and cheaper too, nice one pete.

Soapy Sam 09 August 2003 11:02 PM

Go for it, Pete has just transformed my MY99, I love it.....

bigsky 10 August 2003 05:25 AM

If you can afford both get them, you won't regret it. If you have to choose one get the exhaust first will give you good gains and a faster spool. Then when you have the cash, get the reflash to smooth everything out (and add some more hp & tq).

The Ecutek reflash negates any concerns w/ the cat ineffecinecy cel, they just adjust the parameters in the rear O2 sensor so it is "happy".

ScoobySport exhaust + ECUTEK = fast car

big sky

Trout 10 August 2003 09:48 AM

If I understand it correctly - Subaru can easily tell if your car has had an Ecutek remap - they can check the ECU update data.

Correct me if I am wrong - it has been known - but worth checking out regarding the warranty.

In reality it is Subaru protecting the PPP sales more than anything :o

Rannoch

Brun 10 August 2003 11:49 AM

Subaru won't have a clue about the Tek unless they stick a boost gauge on it and go for a run ;)