ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Accidental 3rd instead of 5th (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/237911-accidental-3rd-instead-of-5th.html)

JohnD 07 August 2003 03:40 PM

On a hurried up change on the 6 speed (STi7/8) how many of you have found yourself in 3rd instead of 5th? I've done it a few times so far. Never really had the problem with my 5 speed on the 99my. Luckily I realised what I'd done before fully engaging the clutch so the revs didn't go too high(ish) Who reckons the centering spring is too strong (that's my excuse!) Don't forget the rev limiter won't save you when the car is driving the engine!!
JohnD

wrx bill 07 August 2003 05:29 PM

know what u mean when i had my sti7 if u where really givin some 5th could often be missed, i also found that if i tried to drop it down to 3rd from 6th i could be fishing around the box and sometimes opting for 4th but infact going back to 6th strange that init. happy daysm8

David_Wallis 07 August 2003 05:56 PM

hmm noticed this with mine.. not good when doing circa 140mph and changing into 6th though.. 8000rpm then changing down a gear = OOPS.

David

STIVII_Otou-san 07 August 2003 06:44 PM

I found that very difficult typically when a bit stressed for quick gearshifts. Learned the lesson on a track day from the instructors and now it's no problem anymore. 3 and 4 will always be accessible from having the knob i a "neutral" position, so just don't use any force at all before you take it to 3rd or 4th. You will notice the force you will have to apply to take it to 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th compared no nothing at all to 3rd and 4th.
Too simple? Try it out, it works.

Cheers
STIVII

Leslie 08 August 2003 12:32 PM

Let the springs do the work :)

Les

David_Wallis 08 August 2003 01:27 PM

I do.. however its still not perfect..

I dont have a problem changine gear. I can do that sh1t no problem..

it just doesnt feel sprung correctly..

I need to have a look at an sti 7 / sti 8..

David

Scooby96 08 August 2003 03:20 PM

take the spring out?!

Paul_M 08 August 2003 11:36 PM

On a similar note, is it normal for a MY98 to have no centering spring between 1st and 3rd, only one spring between 3rd and 5th? Mine has always been like that and I thought it was normal for this car but not sure if someone's modified it before I got it.

Leslie 08 September 2003 10:34 AM

My MY94 has centering springs in both directions but the 1st to 3rd one is weaker than the 3rd to 5th. Its fairly noticeable.

I wasn't accusing your gearchanging, but I used to have all sorts of trouble with 5 and 6 speed boxes until someone told me to be conscious of what the springs were trying to do for me David. If the springs are not balanced though I can see how it could be a nuisance. It took a while to get used to my own Scooby box with the springs as above. My friend's MY98 had a lighter and more pleasant gearchange than my own as well.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 8/9/2003 10:36:39 AM]