ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Clio 172 - new front tyres again (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/237784-clio-172-new-front-tyres-again.html)

druddle 08 July 2003 02:22 PM

The standard Contis are better in the dry, they do offer plenty of grip and progressively start to slide instead of letting go at once. They are not especially good in the wet though. Renault France have been fitting Michelin Pilot Exaltos which are supposed to be better in the wet and dry. Evo mag's long termer had them and they thought they were better than the Contis.

Problem i have been told is that they are a funny tyre spec - 195/45 V16 - and they tyre companies only make a small choice of tyre in this spec.

Dave

[Edited by druddle - 8/7/2003 2:22:37 PM]

druddle 07 August 2003 10:39 AM

Just been to the tyre place to get a puncture replaced in the spare, and they tell me my fronts are shot again !!!! Another set of Contisports is on order (lease company wont fit Michelin Pilot Exaltos), so thats the 5th set bang on 30k miles !!!!!

Thank god i dont have to pay for the tyres...

Dave

ChrisB 07 August 2003 10:47 AM

Spot the hooligan ;) :D

druddle 07 August 2003 10:58 AM

Who me ? :D :D :D

Rich D 07 August 2003 11:18 AM

Jesus... that's some going! :D

Are the standard Conti's really soft or are you just a hooligan?!

druddle 07 August 2003 11:30 AM

The standard Contis are quite hard from what I have been told so I guess i am just a hooligan. The Michelins (or Bridgestone Potenzas) are softer so i suppose its a good bet i never got those fitted !!

Rich D 07 August 2003 01:41 PM

I destroyed a pair of S-02's in about 4k miles on my old 306 Rallye, so yeah the Bridgestone Potenza's are soft!

What are the standard Conti's like though for grip & handling?!

Had my Cup 3 weeks now, but not really pushed it yet...

ScoobyJawa 07 August 2003 02:45 PM

Iain has Pilots on his golf - they are utter sh!te, I can't believe a tyre squeals and lets go with so little asked of them.

brickboy 07 August 2003 02:49 PM

A set of fronts every 7500 miles? Try not to drive round so many corners :p:)

My father-in-law has just put the first new set of front Conti Sportcontacts on his Mondeo ... 32,000 miles :eek:

druddle 07 August 2003 02:59 PM

Jawa - some of the Pilots are sh!te but the Pilot Exaltos are supposed to be the dogs danglies for the Clio.

Dave

ScoobyJawa 07 August 2003 03:56 PM

dogs danglies
Shouldn't that be Poodles Preened and Permed Hair? ;) :D :p

druddle 07 August 2003 04:31 PM

Arf arf. Thats a good one Tom Selleck.

ScoobyJawa 07 August 2003 04:40 PM

:D Cool - do I get a Ferrari next then?

druddle 07 August 2003 05:18 PM

No you have to grow the moustache, get the linen trousers and espadrills and grow a mullet first. :D :D

esmerelda9920750 07 August 2003 05:20 PM

Just a tiny thought here....

When was the last time you had the alignment checked?
Track rod ends etc...they all hunky dorey?

The_Gza 07 August 2003 06:15 PM

Hooligan ;)

I'm still on my original Contis after 11k - still a bit of life in them yet

BOB.T 07 August 2003 06:29 PM

Good work:cool:

I made some Yoko A539s last 5k on the front of the Fiesta once:cool::D:D:D

Kussimurran 07 August 2003 08:21 PM

I was quite happy with my Contis, wet and dry, but peculiarly, especially in the wet. Had a fearsomely wet( pissing it down wet ) track day at Mallory in the winter, and the Cup was simply awesome. Better than my Integra in that respect, and miles faster than my friend's ATR.

On dry track days the Contis seem to overheat quite quickly with consequent loss of grip, and I found them somewhat unruly over nasty B roads.

I am now running on Goodyear Eagle F1s which are very good as well, but ride a bit better with less tramlining. They might have slightly less dry grip than the Contis on road, but are great in the wet as well.

A.

met 07 August 2003 09:39 PM

ive had my cup 2 days now & i can see me munching fronts, when you nail the front really feel like they are scrabbling for traction, must be a clio sport thing i guess, do we know what the best choice of tyre would be then? & where to purchase them? my car has 8k miles on & the tyre look like new, i guess the guy that owned it before me was a very gentle driver

bluenose172 07 August 2003 11:33 PM

I'm on my 3rd set after 16K miles!!

TonyBurns 08 August 2003 09:18 AM

Ah the good old torque steer eating tyre problem then? ;)
I dont have that problem which is nice :D but then again i cant get the tyres that are on my scoob now as they stopped making them :( (Bridgestone SO2 PP's)

Tony:D

druddle 08 August 2003 02:11 PM

Lease company today told me that they have had other 172s that have had similar wear on front Contis. So much so that they wont fit them to 172s any more and mine is getting Michelin Pilot Exaltos !!

thecirsch 09 August 2003 01:53 AM

This is not new. When I first got my old (1993) 16v Clio it suffered the same problem with excessive wear. I went through a set of front tyres every 6k miles. Lucky for me I had purchased a service plan that meant all wear and tear problems were sorted out by Renault. Hence, I didn't have to replace them out of my own pocket :D :D

Loved the car, only surpassed by the Scoob. Ba$tard to insure though....