ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS2 or X-Box (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/235038-ps2-or-x-box.html)

Wurzel 29 July 2003 06:10 PM

Urgently need someone in the know to put me out of my misery over this dilemma.

Which is better for games, accessories, sound quality, graphics quality.

I know the PS2 has DTS 5.1 and an optical output but what about the X-Box.

Cheers

Steve

stevebt 29 July 2003 06:22 PM

xbox as the laser's dont feck up all the time like they do on on the ps2

Ray_li 29 July 2003 06:46 PM

Iv been debateing if i should buy a Xbox for a real long time now but I might not play with it after a few weeks.

BMWhere? 29 July 2003 06:47 PM

I've got a PS2 and its fantastic! :D

X-Box is Microsoft! 'nuff said! ;)

Wurzel 29 July 2003 08:02 PM

Al, that is precisely why I am sceptical but a mate of mine has one and says it's excellent.

Iain Young 29 July 2003 08:06 PM

I've got an xbox, a ps2, a gamecube, and a rather beefy pc. Of all of them the PS2 is beginning to look rather long in the tooth these days, (I hardly ever use it any more).

Admittedly the PS2 has more games available, but the graphical and sonic quality of the xbox is far superior, (it supports Dolby ditital 5.1 via an optical lead). 90% of new games seem to be coming out on all formats so that's not really an issue these days. Supposed to be well over 80 new games coming out for the xbox over the next year!!

Online play is better on the xbox than on the PS2, more games support it, keep track of friends that are online, keep scores online etc (motogp is excellent).

As far as I can see, the only reason to have a ps2 these days over the other consoles is GT4 and eye toy...

If I had to choose one or the other it would be the xbox every time.

Iain

Edited to say...
p.s. Don't worry about it being a Microsoft machine. It doesn't look, feel, or sound like a PC. It feels just like any other console, only better :D

Also the ability to rip audio cds (to mp3), store them on the internal hard disc, and play them whilst your're playing games is a really cool feature :)

[Edited by Iain Young - 7/29/2003 8:09:21 PM]

chrisowe 29 July 2003 08:14 PM

I too have an X-Box and PS2 and I agree with everything Iain Young says.
Plus you have realtime 5.1 Dolby sound in X-Box games, only in FMV sequences on the PS2. Plus the X-Box has a built in hard drive that lets you copy music Cd's to it to make your own soundtracks.

Wurzel 29 July 2003 08:23 PM

Cheers Guys this is great feedback.

Steve

Triple X 29 July 2003 08:28 PM

Ive had every console bar the game cube and the xbox wins in hands down! You can do a lot more with the xbox in terms of modding ie bigger hard drive etc

Mr.Cookie 29 July 2003 11:38 PM

Wurzel Chipped X Box only one that make sense in my opinion and i've owned both.

Si
Ps Is the exhaust still okay ;)

snowcrash 29 July 2003 11:43 PM

get a shuttle ;)

JackClark 30 July 2003 08:45 AM

Xbox wins for me, although I've been playing SOCOM on the PS2 and it's 'kin good.

Wurzel 30 July 2003 08:48 AM

Hi Si

Yep exhaust is still going strong and sounds great, still illegal in Germany though :D:D:D

I reckon my decision on the posted subject is sorted, the X-Box seems to be the consensus of opinion.

Cheers Chaps

Steve

super_si 30 July 2003 08:52 AM

thats funny, ive got 2 PS2s in the house.

One is from the 1st month they were out and the laser hasnt gone :rolleyes:

PiNkEyE69 30 July 2003 08:59 AM

SOCOM on the PS2 and it's 'kin good
2 words - Ghost Recon (xbox) :D
I had the same dilemma previous, Xbox or PS2, and then noticed that all my PS2-owning mates had traded them in for xbox's, and suddenyly Game in town had lots of preowned Ps2, so I decided Xbox, and never looked back (until I bought the Gamecube - Seem to play that more than the Xbox at the mo, except Xbox Live games like Unreal Champ and MotoGP ;))

JackClark 30 July 2003 09:40 AM

>>2 words - Ghost Recon (xbox)

No voice control :(

messiah 30 July 2003 09:45 AM

Had a PS2 since launch day and never had any problems.

OK so Gran Turismo is worth buying the PS2 for, but anyone who hasnt tried Ratchet & Clank is missing out.

Also if you buy an XBox (I'm after one myself) buy yourself Timesplitters 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Wurzel 30 July 2003 09:49 AM

how much are X-Boxs in the uk?

They are €199 here in Germany about 140 ish quid.

Gordo 30 July 2003 10:29 AM

X-Box in the UK is £130 at the minute.

I have both X-Box and PS2 - to be honest, I'm slightly disappointed with the X-Box as it doesn't seem that much better than the PS2, although have yet to set up the X-Box Live for which I have great hopes. (graphics similar, the PS2 has an optical out for sound which works well through a surround sound amp - shame the X-Box doesn't have an optical out. The X-Box is, surprisingly, not worth operating on a VGA as it is no better than a TV - again disappointing).

It all comes down to the games - GT4 and GT Vice City on th PS2, Halo 2 when it arrives for the X-Box.

Hmm, must look into chipping it........

Gordo

ScoobyJawa 30 July 2003 10:55 AM

Another Xboxer here, and don't regret my choice at all! :D

Got it hooked up to Digital via optical out on advanced scart and the sounds rocks. The graphics have a slight edge over the PS2. The reason they sometimes seem no better is when the game is a direct (or near enough) port from the PS2. When the game is written for the Xbox itself the graphics are much better :)

PiNkEyE69 30 July 2003 10:59 AM

GT4 and GT Vice City on th PS2
Vice city is possibly out end of this year for the xbox, with extra features :D
GT4 - Xbox has PGR2 and SegaGT 2004 Online coming.

Wurzel 30 July 2003 11:02 AM

Am a bit confused here some say it has on optical out and some say it hasn't are there 2 versions of this box then.

Gordo 30 July 2003 11:22 AM

what's 'optical on an advanced scart' ?

P1Fanatic 30 July 2003 11:28 AM

Time Crisis 3 on the PS2 shortly too !

Simon.

Mr.Cookie 30 July 2003 12:00 PM

Wurzel

Xbox only comes with a standard scart connection, you'll need to buy a new av lead, theres two that i know of proper xbox made one just has scart plus a sp dif, or games own one which has lots of connections including sp dif

Si

Iain Young 30 July 2003 12:05 PM

I'd get your tv looked at if you can't see the difference Gordo ;).

The xbox has hardware antialiasing so you don't get all those horrible jaggies that you get on the ps2. That combined with the fast gfx hardware with higher resolutions and more colours, make for a much better visual feast. Especially when viewing on a larger tv.

The PS2 graphics look really dull and dated in comparison...IMHO of course :D

Oh, and xbox does have an optical out if you buy the correct av lead. Sounds much better than the ps2 optical out as well :) (As already stated earlier, you get 5.1 sound in the games as well as in the fmv, whereas the ps2 can only do it in the fmv).

Iain

[Edited by Iain Young - 30/07/2003 12:08:19]

ScoobyJawa 30 July 2003 12:47 PM

Yeah to add to the above - ditch the standard AV lead and buy either the "Microsoft Advanced Scart Lead" or an own brand one. These have a Digital Optical output on them.

DJ Dunk 30 July 2003 02:26 PM

X-Box, no question ;)

Gordo 30 July 2003 03:29 PM

good point re the TV - I'll have a go at wiring it into the monitor :)

still don't understand the optical scart - I'm possibly a bit stupid but....

doesn't the optical feed need to come direct from the CD reader? if it's an analogue signal being converted into optical in the scart then it makes the signal worse, surely. i.e. it's already gone optical ---> analogue, how does converting it back into optical help? you might as well just connect it into the amp as an analogue feed?

i'd love to be wrong on this but the xbox clearly does not have an optical feed from the reader to the back of the box, whereas the PS2 does.

Gordo

Iain Young 30 July 2003 04:36 PM

If I remember correctly one of the pins in the xbox connection is a digital out (for the sound). The standard analogue lead doesn't have this connected up, whereas the optical av lead does. There is a box on the optical lead which converts the digital signal to optical to send through to the optical lead.

So, it basically does the same as the ps2 (converts the digital signal from the cd to an optical output). The only difference is that it does it on the lead rather than inside the machine itself. There's no degrading of the signal because it never gets converted to analogue....

Hope that clears it up for you :)
Iain