ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Public Transport Day(s) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/234526-public-transport-day-s.html)

Duck_Pond 28 July 2003 02:23 PM

I think we "drivers" should all arrange one day (or more) per year where we all rely solely on the UK's superb Public Transport network in order to get to work and back.

Afterall, with all the taxes, fines, tolls etc. being put in place, it is obvious that the Government is trying to get us out of our smelly, toxic cars, and on to the clean, efficient buses and trains etc.

I'm sure by standing on an over-crowded bus or train, crushed next to someone with dreadful BO, and breath like a dog's rear end, would provide much greater vigour and enthusiasm for the day ahead. Resulting in far better efficiency at work.

Plus, the fact that people's journey time to and from work would effectively be tripled, would help to encourage us to stick with the idea, and leave our cars at home.

Let's all set a date for it, and hope that the idea really works... and the day becomes a National Holiday, as no-one can actually get to work on time, or get home again afterwards.

paulr 28 July 2003 02:35 PM

It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get to work and back before my next shift if i relied on public transport.

Duck_Pond 28 July 2003 02:39 PM

I live in B'ham and work near Warwick. It'd mean me catching at least one bus either side of catching a train, and my normal journey time of 35 mins would take about 2 hours, discounting any waiting times for the public transport to arrive, or if it was too full to board...

dsmith 28 July 2003 02:45 PM

It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get to work. period.

Deano

NotoriousREV 28 July 2003 02:46 PM

If I caught the earliest train to work I'd only get in at 10am so I have to catch the last train the night before (about 11:30pm, IIRC) then hang around for a bit. Don't really fancy that, not even as a protest ;)

uktony 28 July 2003 03:48 PM

Cab to the station (or 45 min walk)

Train to Kings Cross (2 an hour at peak times)

Tube/Cab/Bus to Waterloo

Train to Godalming

Cab to office (or 30 min walk)

Did it once, last Christmas, it took 3.5 hours and cost about £40

Cheaper to drive :D

Adrian F 28 July 2003 04:38 PM

How is using a cab different to using your own car? still one vehicle for one person travelling it just means you can afford to employ a chauffer!!

Andy Porter 28 July 2003 04:44 PM

One reason and one only I'd not drive to work, a piss up :D

stevencotton 28 July 2003 04:46 PM

For me (Hertford -> Liverpool St) it's easier to take the train and put up with bad BO and smelly breath or, like last week on the busy 18.24, WAGN didn't bother cleaning it and left someones vomit all over the floor for all the commuters to look at. Public transport is a health hazard.

hutton_d 28 July 2003 09:35 PM

Gonna be working from home ..... :-)

Dave

Dr Hu 29 July 2003 09:32 AM

40 years ago before *everybody* had a car, people used to work in their home town/village. Within walking distance anyway.

The rise of the car has made people live significantly further away from their place of work.

No modern public transport system can now possibly hope to replace the public transport of yesteryear because of the distances & localities of where people live & work.

I'm not saying whether its right or wrong, but some people in government just dont seem to realise this.....:)

Adrian F 29 July 2003 10:07 AM

You are right they have built economic success on Mobility of Labour brought about by the Car and then want to take away the car?

Peoples time is an assert and the cost of it should be used when judging the different transport systems also the amount of subsidy for Public transport against the level of Tax raised from the car should be included when they work out which is the best system for the country.