ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   MY00 Standard Philips/Subaru - is it dead ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/233429-my00-standard-philips-subaru-is-it-dead.html)

BigRed 08 March 2003 05:31 PM

For sure a dry solder joint, philips head units suffer from these a lot and the TV sets, I too have a subaru standard head unit in the wardrobe doing nowt, looks like every scooby has not got the standard h/u in it .
Maybe you should have accidently 'slipped' with your soldering iron , and then tell the missis that it's buggered and you will have to get a nice new one, hint , hint.

Dark Side Of The Moon??????

[Edited by BigRed - 8/3/2003 5:31:55 PM]

DSOTM 08 March 2003 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dark Side Of The Moon??????
Do you know me and where DSOTM comes from ?
It's nothing to do with Floyd btw.

Soldering Iron slippage was out. "She" told me I could have a new head unit after payday :D

As long as the standard one lasts till then I'll be happy.

I'm looking at the Sony MP40 or the Pioneer 3600 summut that's about the same money.
Sound aint really something I get too excited about unless one side of my car is quiet and a CDR with ~100 choice tracks from my CD collection in MP3 format will do me just luvverly.

Edit: Sorry..Pioneer 3500 summut ;)

[Edited by DSOTM - 8/3/2003 10:49:46 PM]

DSOTM 24 July 2003 10:39 PM

Hi all, just a quick question to confirm my suspicions on this one.

I noticed today that I only had audio from the left side of the car.

I've checked the balance/fade settings and all were ok.

I disconnected all the speakers and jumpered the right speakers onto the left channels, and both RF and RR speakers worked fine.

It would seem that both right channels have taken a nosedive and theres no output from them :(

Is this a known problem on these units that can be resolved, or do I need to replace the unit ?

I'm considering replacing the unit as a whole for a new (nice and shiney ;) ) one with plenty of bells and whistles, or alternatively, I may just plump for a straight swap as there is an identical one on ebay for 90 notes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers.

*Sonic* 25 July 2003 12:17 AM

!!!! 90 notes seems a bit expensive for just the head unit

Ive seen quite a few on there for 25 notes (and on here too) for just the head unit

DSOTM 25 July 2003 12:22 AM

Thats the kind of reply I like :)

I'm currently sat here with said head unit in front of me, screwdriver in hand ;)

Si.t 25 July 2003 12:33 AM

sounds like a good case to go shopping if you ask me... ;)

DSOTM 25 July 2003 01:16 AM

Oh well....I found the cause.

Dual amps in it, each with a 2200 microfarad capacitor on em.
One looks fine, the other leaked it's contents onto the PCB.
Looking good for the culprit.

Pennies to fix :)

Of course...I may slip with the soldering iron and stuff the unit completely ;)

/me rumbles off to find something with capacitors in it :D

DSOTM 25 July 2003 01:53 AM

Hehe....it's working again :)

Only problem is, I'm not sure what I did.
Removed said capacitor and the end of the casing looked ok.
Soldered it back in, plonked all the bits back together. Even had no spare screws at the end of it ;)
Plugged it back into the car. RF and RR are now working properly.
Only things I can think of are a) dry joint or b) breakdown of capacitor due to heat.

Hey ho, if it lasts so be it, otherwise I'm off shopping.

"Yes dear, this kewl lookin' Pioneer stereo was a free replacement from Subaru" :D

Dazza012 01 August 2003 11:46 PM

WTF... im glad u know what ur talking about, cos i ain't got a clue.
Dry joint i understand as my pcb board on my central heating had 1 of these, cost bloody £117 for a new one.

any way got a Phillips/subaru unit on top of my wardrobe at home

GaryCat 03 August 2003 03:25 PM

I sold my standard Philips/Subaru one on ebay for £26 so you should be able to get a better price than £90.

DJNafey 06 August 2003 12:24 AM

DSOTM,

If the "Pioneer 3500 summut" is the same as the "Pioneer 3500 something-or-other" that I'm looking at, I think you've made a good choice. £199 down Halfords (and probably cheaper on the 'net) makes it a nice bit of kit for the money.

I'm hooked on Pioneer head units - very clear quality sound and easy to use - you don't want to be getting confused with menu options when you're on full boost! I'm looking forward to upgrading very soon :>

DSOTM 06 August 2003 12:55 AM

Yep, £135 on MCS I seem to recall.

It just has a nicer look than the Sony imo :)

BigRed 06 August 2003 08:18 PM

Just a guess DSOTM

Clubscene 11 August 2003 03:25 PM

Pioneer 8400 is the 1 to go for excellent sound from a gorgeos unit. Not cheap but well worth it.