ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   "messenger service" pop ups (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/232207-messenger-service-pop-ups.html)

zoog 21 July 2003 09:20 PM

I am plagued by these things and cant seem to stop them - even ad aware 6 and a mcaffee firewall seem powerless -driving me nuts.

Any ideas please??

thanks in advance,

Adrian

super_si 21 July 2003 09:44 PM

Same here

Girlfriends PC has fallen foul of them too, i couldnt think where it was coming from.

didnt fancy delving into the reg.

Si

hutton_d 21 July 2003 09:56 PM

Try disabling the 'Administrative Tools/Services/Messenger' facility. That should do it ...

Dave

PS: that's the path in Win2K anyway ...

super_si 21 July 2003 10:43 PM

Its not directly associated with MSN Messenger. Would doing that stop that program working also?

Si

JackClark 21 July 2003 10:56 PM

Microsoft Advice

Hanslow 22 July 2003 12:14 AM

Or if you are running XP....

Click the Run option on the Start Menu. Type in MSConfig and hit return.

Go to the Services tab and de-select the 'Messenger' service. OK that window and should have the same effect as the W2K stuff above.

Scooby Dooby Blue 22 July 2003 03:09 AM

The 'messenger' service is nothing to do with MSN Messenger, it's a Microsoft advertising tool incorporated into XP:rolleyes:

To stop these nasty grey pop-ups:

Right click on 'My Computer' on your desktop and select 'Manage'
Double click 'Services & Applications'
Double click 'Services'
Scroll down to 'Messenger'
Right click it and select 'Properties'
Set 'Start-up Type' to 'Disabled'

Problem solved :)

Paul

MadGrip 22 July 2003 07:45 AM

This definately works :

These 4 easy steps will turn off the messenger service used to send messenger service popup ads. The Messenger service is not related to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.:

Go to Start, then Run and type in services.msc Click Ok

Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it and choose Properties.

Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose Stop.

When stopped, click Ok.

similar to what Scooby Doo Blue Said

[Edited by MadGrip - 7/22/2003 7:46:02 AM]

ChrisB 22 July 2003 08:43 AM

it's a Microsoft advertising tool incorporated into XP
A little wide of the mark...

JackClark 22 July 2003 09:14 AM

Should mention that disabling this service is much like putting a plaster on an axe wound. Best solve the big problem of why someone can abuse your machine in the first place.

aqua 22 July 2003 09:31 AM

buy a personal firewall from Norton/McAfee and these messages will be stopped as well as preventing any other undesirable attention.

OR obtain the free ZoneAlarm firewall that comes on most PC magazine CD covers.

[Edited by aqua - 7/22/2003 9:34:04 AM]

pblakeway 22 July 2003 09:56 AM

Have you installed messenger plus ?

zoog 22 July 2003 12:25 PM

Thanks guy's I ll try the above when i get home

Aqua:
I have got macaffee btw and it doesn' stop them.

God i hate spammers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by zoog - 7/22/2003 12:25:29 PM]

SJ_Skyline 22 July 2003 12:28 PM

it's a Microsoft advertising tool incorporated into XP
It was in fact an administrator tool incorporated into NT, useful for sending messages to your network to notify people such as the mail server would be shut down for maintenance.

c:\net send 127.0.0.1 hello world

aqua 22 July 2003 01:47 PM

what version of McAfee you running and how was it configured as it almost certainly will prevent the messages.

I had the exact same problems on my remote users laptops (win2K) and running a firewall stopped it dead.

JackClark 22 July 2003 02:44 PM

One of our consumer firwall's does not stop this messenger pop ups, can't remember which one, but anyway they're both due an upgrade in September.

smellyvag 08 August 2003 03:27 PM

I got norton and these things still pop up. I have tried some of the above and hope it works.

Foot_Tapper 08 August 2003 09:56 PM

Be interested to know what port number they come in on.

DSOTM 08 August 2003 11:50 PM

Clicky

"The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445; and an ephemeral (that is, short-lived) port number greater than 1024."

If you're receiving these messages from an internet source, I would suggest looking at your firewall solution immediately.

Bravo2zero_sps 09 August 2003 11:59 PM

To block these on your firewall you need to configure your firewall to block icmp traffic which broadcasts your ip address out to the internet. These messages just get sent to the ip addresses which are broadcasting.

Alternatively do as above and disable messenger service under services.

DSOTM 11 August 2003 12:22 AM

ICMP is for error reporting and diagnostics and blocking it outbound won't do a thing to stop these messages.

Leaving inbound NetBIOS ports open is a big issue, and anyone with a port scanner and a little knowhow could do serious harm to your PC.

More importantly, the latest wave of viruses use the NetBIOS ports for remote infection.

In general, you don't need any inbound ports open unless you're running a server of some kind (FTP,WWW etc)

Even if these ports are closed, when scanned, your PC will send a "Closed" response to the originator.
This in itself is evidence enough to suggest a machine is there.

I know all the issues and opinions about Steve Gibson, but the fact is that his port probe does what it needs to.

Go to http://grc.com/default.htm and select the Shields Up! link.
Then from the menu at the bottom, select "All Service Ports"
This will scan the first 1056 IP ports and report on what is found.

If you don't get this...

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
....I would think about doing something

Personally, I'd get em all locked down (stealthed) quicksharp.

Bravo2zero_sps 08 November 2003 12:50 AM

ICMP is for error reporting and diagnostics and blocking it outbound won't do a thing to stop these messages.
I blocked it outbound and inbound and I can take my firewall down and the pop ups will appear, put the firewall back on and they stop. They only stopped when I configured the firewall to stop ICMP. I then configured my my firewall and ICMP for apps etc that needed to access the net.

ICMP is a maintenance protocol in the TCP/IP suite, required in every TCP/IP implementation, that allows two nodes on an IP network to share IP status and error information. ICMP is used by the ping utility to determine the reachability of a remote system.
That is taken from the glossary in help from Windows 2000.

Blocking ICMP will stop the messages end of story because it stops the ping command from working basically. To make sure you can still ping your network etc then you configure ICMP so that its allowed to certain adresses and address ranges.

Learn how to configure your firewall properly and you will see that what I have said works fine :p

[Edited by ************** - 8/11/2003 12:52:32 AM]