ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Connecting external audio sources (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/231803-connecting-external-audio-sources.html)

PG 20 July 2003 07:51 PM

looking to connect a MD player to the PC so as to be able to stick the contents on to CD.
What do I need hard/software wise ?

PG 20 July 2003 07:55 PM

BTW
Just checked, PC has a "line in" :)

Mr.Cookie 20 July 2003 07:56 PM

If MD player is walkman type with no phono/rca outs you''ll need a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack lead, if it's a proper unit phono/rca to 3.5mm jack.

Si

Mr.Cookie 20 July 2003 08:00 PM

software wise windows has built in recorder which is okay for very basic needs, can't beat soundforge though :)

Si
Ps I'm just looking on downoads.com for something that might be okay and free :)

Mr.Cookie 20 July 2003 08:05 PM

couldn't see owt for free, but these were free to try, this one or this one

PG 20 July 2003 08:14 PM

built in recorder you say ?
Does it just kick in ?

Thanks for your research mate

Mr.Cookie 20 July 2003 08:18 PM

naah you need to go

Start-> All programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder.

You'll probably need to turn line in on aswell, to do so Start -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Advanced

Si

PG 20 July 2003 08:47 PM

thanks once again mate :D

NickAdams 21 July 2003 09:44 AM

I've done this a couple of years ago with my mini disc recorder (Can't remember the exact way I did it now though as my brain is gettin old ;)) and I recommend that you get a soundcard with a digital output (Rather than the standard analogue out).I found that when recording to MD from the PC via an analogue connection, there was lots of noise in the background whereas through a digital output it was better quality.I think the hardware I had at the time was a Creative Labs soundblaster Live! with a third party external card that had all the relevant inputs/outputs on it.I then linked my MD via optical cable to the PC........
To record,I think I used Winamp and then just created a playlist and clicked go and then record on the MD. (There was an issue where there had to be a pause between each song long enough for the MD to recognise,otherwise you got all the songs recorded to MD as a single track - Again,I think there was a plugin for Winamp to do this)

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Nick

NickAdams 21 July 2003 09:47 AM

Just re-read what you and Mr C say above and you don't need a line in.It's a line out or digital out is what you need.Line in would be fine to take music from MD to PC but not vice versa...... :)

Nick

Mr.Cookie 21 July 2003 11:06 AM

Nick that's what he wants to do :)

looking to connect a MD player to the PC so as to be able to stick the contents on to CD
Si

NickAdams 21 July 2003 02:34 PM

Doh,
Sorry mate!!!!!!
At least he now knows how to do it if going from PC to MD :D:D:D
lol

My brain hurts today ;)

Nick