ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   running servers over WAN ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/230864-running-servers-over-wan.html)

what would scooby do 17 July 2003 11:24 AM

We are moving offices and during a transition period we would like to link the buildings (probably using dark fibre) and run file/print/email services over the WAN until all the people and kit are moved.

Our LAN is a gigabit ethernet backbone with 100meg full duplex to every desk.

My question is how big a pipe do we need between the buildings to maintain acceptable performance - 400 users IP only.

I know there's lots of variables - just need a rough idea!

Gedi 17 July 2003 12:31 PM

depends on your data transfer throughout all users. I would imagine 1mbit up and down would suffice for everyday use. Its fairly cheap to get for a month or so.

In addition, you say your moving this data over IP only. I would deffinetly reccomend against this.

For the extra little bit of work it would involve, just set up IPSec or even a VPN.

Good luck with the move.

ChrisB 17 July 2003 12:35 PM

Aren't dark fibre links usually point to point private? In which case why encrypt data?

Gedi 17 July 2003 12:40 PM

yep

hmm, for some reason I bypassed the text in brackets when I read the post :?

what would scooby do 18 July 2003 03:42 PM

:cool: thanks.

ozzy 18 July 2003 03:54 PM

Wr have a 2Mb connection back to one of our clients. We have around 75 people here that use the connection for file/print on Novell servers.

It's a bit slow, but acceptable. I certainly wouldn't want to go much lower, but the majority of work is Telnet traffic to Unix boxes. It's great for that, but you do notice a drop when folk start ftp'ing to/from the servers.

We have another 30 users on seperate client network here too. They mainly use it for Mainframe connectivity and e-mail (Exchange/Outlook). That's on a 128k leased line connection and works well for the Mainframe sessions and even e-mail. File/print is all local, so that's why they get away with that size of pipe.

It really depends on how much continous traffic you can expect across the pipe. A suitably large print job would see the available bandwidth dip suddenly and 400 users trying to authenticate or download roaming profiles might cripple it.

Stefan

dsmith 18 July 2003 09:25 PM

You see its people giving lusers 100 meg to the desktop which encourages microshaft to continue trying to fill the bandwidth. You dont *need* 100 meg to save a few word files, send some crap jokes and surf scoobynet :rolleyes:

If you monitored a few key switch points for a few dyas you'd know exactly how much bandwidth you *used* - which would be a good start for evaluating what you *need* :)

I remember when we were lucky to get 10mb/s half-duplex - and we were grateful.......;)

Deano

dowser 19 July 2003 09:32 AM

Am I missing something - if you're talking dark fibre between the buildings why not just extend the Gigabit LAN backbone? :) 200 people trying to access file/print over a 2Mbps will be painful for them, and you!

Richard