ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Playstation 2 Problem . . . (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/230491-playstation-2-problem.html)

DJ Dunk 16 July 2003 01:00 PM

Anyone any good at fault-finding on PS2's ?

Problem with this one is that it runs fine, playing a game for about 5 minutes then the screen will appear to go as if the TV is out of tune. The screen goes black and white, scrolls and is unusable on the TV. Its connected via the standard phono to scart cable to a scart enabled TV.

Any help appreciated :)

stevenuk300 16 July 2003 01:32 PM

Sounds like a problem with your scart cable. Have you tried using another one?

Mr.Cookie 16 July 2003 01:39 PM

Have you tried it on another telly

PiNkEyE69 16 July 2003 02:11 PM

Have you tried another console ;)

Mr.Cookie 16 July 2003 02:18 PM

Thats all bases covered :D

DJ Dunk 16 July 2003 03:19 PM

LOL :D

Thanks guys. Tried another TV, will try another cable tonite.

It works fine for about 5 minutes then it goes :confused: Is the graohics chip cooled on the PS2 ? Maybe the fan is fcuked ?

PiNkEyE69 16 July 2003 03:22 PM

Is the unit well ventilated, and not in a stuffy cabinet?
Just saying this as I had a Sony Amp in a cabinet and one hot evening I heard a whirling sound, upon inspection I found it was the fan on the Amp that had increased in speed in order to try and compensate for the increased humidity and temperature.
I remember an article ages ago about the unreliability of cooling in the PS2 unit, but I'm sure they fixed that in later batches.

DJ Dunk 16 July 2003 03:26 PM

Yeah, tried it out in the open at work. The fan on the rear is working fine.

DJ Dunk 17 July 2003 08:43 AM

Tried another cable round a mates house last night . . . still the same. Got to be internals. Time to open this puppy up methinks :D

Any other suggestions before I wade in ? ;)

PiNkEyE69 17 July 2003 09:24 AM

Does this thread bare any relevance to what you get?

DJ Dunk 17 July 2003 09:42 AM

Thanks PiNkEyE69, but no.

Mine is more like . . . imagine someone detuning the TV channel you are viewing, gradually. The screen starts to flicker, then rolls and is totally unviewable :confused: Strange thing is that its not straight away. It takes about 2-3 minutes before it does that, its fine until then . . . .

Appreciate the help so far.

pthomlinson@hotmail.com 17 July 2003 10:04 AM

so it did the exact same on your mates tv?

I was gonna suggest it was tv but it doesnt sound like it now.

FYI - I use the s-video leads, much better picture than the uprated SCART leads and you don't get the green screen with dvd's.

DJ Dunk 17 July 2003 10:11 AM

Yep, tried 3 TV's now, all the same. Even tried it on my TV-In card on the PC and its the same.

Its not my PS2 (Can't stand the cheap rubbish ;)), but tried my mates fully wired scart and the problem still occurred.

You'd never get this with an X-Box :rolleyes: :D

Its un-modified BTW, never even been opened.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 7/17/2003 10:17:46 AM]

babber 17 July 2003 10:48 AM

Lol, Xbox is the way forward, PS2 are ****e IMHO.

Have you tried tapping the PS2 when it starts doing this. Sounds very much like a dry joint to me mate. I would start by looking at the solder connection on the PS2 where the scart connects. I reckon it would well be the earth connection from the symptoms you've described.

Thanks Phill

DJ Dunk 17 July 2003 10:49 AM

Found this which is my exact problem. Will get the Dyson on it a bit later :D