ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   NTL and router question (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/230174-ntl-and-router-question.html)

RichB 15 July 2003 03:11 PM

A friend has NTL broadband, used to use ISDN with a Netopia router, obviously now wants his three computers still networked together and able to surf etc.

NTL even told him that this should be possible.

What I think I need to do is get the router to get it's IP address dynamically using DHCP and then get the machines using the router.

Can't seem to find anything that says how to do this?

Anyone done this? Anyone does this with a Netopia?

Rich

marcmann 15 July 2003 03:32 PM

If it's any help I bought a Belkin 4 Port DSL Router from PC World a few months back. I've got 3 PC's plugged into it all sharing one 1mb NTL link. It took literally 10 minutes to setup as it does it all for you. And if i remember it only cost me about £40.

Marc

RichB 15 July 2003 03:34 PM

Cheers, it might be the way forward.
At that price, it is cheaper to do it like than than muck about for hours!

In the meantime, any more comments welcome.

Tsunami 15 July 2003 04:21 PM

well another ez way to is have another pc setup with 2 network cards - connect one up the NTL box and the other network card connected to a switch / HUB

Then in win98se config interent explorer to share the internet conenction and
you can then connect any number of pc`s to the hub /switch to share the internet connection (note the pcs connected to the hub / switch need to be configured to auto receive ip address - the cable modem will dish out ip address in the 192.168.0.x range)
You must have win98 2nd edition since the first edition of win98
did not have the internet connection sharing

Winxp pro also allows internet connection sharing and piss of piss to set up- again same hardware setup as above.

Used to have an old pentium 90 sharing my internet connection - used it for 3 years b4 I finally got round to upgrading it :D

RichB 15 July 2003 04:32 PM

Yes, was told that one but he is all Mac I'm afriad. There is software out there to do it but should be able to configure this router...

ScoobyJawa 16 July 2003 10:25 AM

I bought a Netgear router which again does most of the setup for you. Works a treat - has 3 PC's connected to it and soon to plug in the XBOX :D

Figment 16 July 2003 05:18 PM

Don't know anything about that particular router, but assuming it has an RJ45 socket on the WAN side to connect to the cable modem, then setup should be quite easy, and is basically as you say.

Set router to get IP address automatically from NTL, set PC's/MACs to get IP addresses automatically from router (or in most cases can be set to static IPs in the 192.168.x.x range) Router may also be set to get DNS server details automatically, or you can specify these manually (depending of course on what the router allows you to configure)

My Netgear router is accessed/configured thru web browser by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar.

RichB 16 July 2003 05:22 PM

Cheers, the problem is getting the Netopia to get its IP address from the NTL box, could try hardwiring it but obvioulsy the danger is NTL changing the address despite the fact many people have had the same address for yonks.

What I am not sure of is what terms to look up to find out how to do it... :confused:

Figment 16 July 2003 10:26 PM

Got any details (model number etc.) of the router?

RichB 17 July 2003 09:11 AM

Netopia R310. Has 8 ethernet ports on the back and two line ins.

Figment 17 July 2003 11:22 AM

As far as I can see, that router is limited to ISDN use only.