ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best cheap digi cam (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/230155-best-cheap-digi-cam.html)

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 02:32 PM

I am off on a three to six month holliday in august and would like to take a digi cam. I don't want something to expensive in case it gets lost but I would like to be able to store lots of pistures as internet access might be a bit lacking in some of the places I'm going to. Any one have any suggestions ?
TIA
BMW

rik1471 15 July 2003 02:56 PM

What do you consider cheap?

Wurzel 15 July 2003 03:06 PM

I just bought a digicam of ebay there are millions of them on there so just buy one you like and can afford.

Little Miss WRX 15 July 2003 03:09 PM

If you want to store lots of pictures then you will be wanting between a 1mb and a 2mb capability camera (I have taken loads of pictures on 2mb and they have been absolutely cracking :)).
Fujifilm do a nice 2mb camera.

The key though is the size of the memory card. You will need a big one or possibly a few, so take that into account with pricing.

Badger Stuffer 15 July 2003 03:14 PM

Then when you do get a chance to get on the net simply upload your pics to some free webspace and they are empty again.

:D

mattstant 15 July 2003 04:14 PM

memory cards are falling in price quite alot at the moment so a couple of 128 meg cards at 2 meg resolution should see about 400 plus shots

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 04:15 PM

Hopefully £150 but definately camera plus all accesories (memory card battery packs) less than £200.

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 04:21 PM

how about this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=3337

the only thing is that I have a slight tendency to crush drop and break any equipment not manufactured to very high levels.

Little Miss WRX 15 July 2003 04:22 PM

That one would be fine for what you want I reckon. :)

Little Miss WRX 15 July 2003 04:27 PM

I have a Fujifilm 4800z and it has been through a few risky situations with me - falling over on wet rocks right next to the sea whilst trying to not break my neck as I take pictures of several feet tall waves coming right at me. ;)

mattstant 15 July 2003 04:30 PM

sounds like you need a Sony dsc model but i think they are all £200 plus

Duck_Pond 15 July 2003 04:43 PM

Try here

Mate bought a Fujifilm for about £300 from them - got it next day, with free accessories, prints etc. They also have reviews on the site to help you choose.

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 04:45 PM

Don't want to spend alot as I might get held up at gun point in cambodia or vietnam and have to buy another one. The other thing that springs to mind is the software for transferring the pictures to a PC. Will I have to take a CD rom with me every where I go ?

Also does anyone know if I can get a camera that links to a phone so I can upload pictures via GPRS whenever I reach a suitablly advanced country.

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 04:52 PM

in fact

clickyclicky

as it has a zoom

[Edited by BMW bikes - 7/15/2003 4:58:51 PM]

Nope just read a review and it eats batteries

so
maybe a fuji 2800 after all

[Edited by BMW bikes - 7/15/2003 5:09:02 PM]

Duck_Pond 15 July 2003 05:00 PM

Mate's had 2 Fujifilm cameras so far - both had superb pic quality, and been very reliable. Might get one myself soon...

Bonus with ICD is that you can get a guarantee... though you might want to check the small print - not sure it is covered for an armed robbery in Cambodia...

ChrisB 15 July 2003 05:05 PM

IIRC, Fuji used to offer an widget that let you read a memory card from a camera in a standard floppy disk drive.

That would be ideal for uploading / e-mailing pics when at an Internet cafe.

BMW bikes 15 July 2003 05:10 PM

If I can get one of them 'thingys' then that will be the camera I get

cheers for help.

ChrisB 15 July 2003 05:17 PM

£70 from here. Pricey but simple.

Not sure if you have to install any extra drivers but worth checking out.

Chris.

rik1471 15 July 2003 07:18 PM

I'd defo recommend Fuji! Had a 2800 zoom before my Minolta Dimage 7, and I must say I sometimes miss the ease it brought.

workshy_fopp 15 July 2003 07:23 PM

Got a Fuji A204 at Christmas time, was £200 then, about £150 now.
Great camera for the money. You don't need any software or card readers, just plug it in to a USB port and it appears as a drive on the PC.

Toonman1 15 July 2003 11:35 PM

"read a memory card from a camera in a standard floppy disk drive"

Data transfer is slow and unreliable, with some images arriving corrupted at the PC. You do need drivers on Win98, but not sure about XP. The drivers are a tad flaky too and often just seem to disappear from the PC.

I've had a couple of students buy them, when they should've spent £15 on a decent card reader. Much less hassle.

Cheers

Da Booga 16 July 2003 12:10 AM

I bought my Fujifilm A202 from Internet Cameras Direct several months ago. Their service was 100% :D

when I got the camera I was so excited that I accidentaly snapped the thin plastic memory card cradle off trying to ruch and put the memory card in :rolleyes: I rang them straight away and told them it was broken when I opened the box ;) and got told to pack it back up and return it.

Within 48 hours I had a new camera in my sweaty little palms :D Needless to say I took a bit more care with this one ;)

Gareth

BMW bikes 16 July 2003 12:00 PM

Having loked at a few websites I now need a camera that is

1> not to expensive
2> has an easy transfer method for pictures on to PC
3> Has good battery life
4> Stores fifty plus pictures
5> Has a case
6> At least 2 mega pixel picture quality.
7> Is relatively compact
8> Can survive my clumseyness
9> Has a zoom lense
10> Is easy to use.

The more I look the more things I think I need I might go into dixons play with every single camera they have there find the best one and then buy it from internet cameras direct.

ChrisB 16 July 2003 12:11 PM

To answer one question:

3) Maybe best to pick a camera than uses normal AA batteries rather than a custom battery module. Have a couple of sets of rechargeables but you can also pick up a packet of Duracells if you're away from a mains point

Toonman1 16 July 2003 12:12 PM

"go into dixons"

Head to Jessops and you should get better advice and depending on shop size, they usually have a better range. Ask them to price match - they often do, even if it's a web trader.

Cheers

V5 16 July 2003 02:14 PM

I think the Fuji 2800 still fits the bill the best. The only downside being that it isn't the most compact.

BMW bikes 18 July 2003 11:47 AM

Got it down to two having gone to a few camera shops yesterday,

olympus

Has video mode doesn't require drivers 3 mega pixel but eats batteries so needs new Ni MH batteries plus charger but a universale world charger is on the site for £23.00. Also takes Xd cardswhich is harder to buy than compact flash. 128 meg for £40.00 (from scan.co.uk.)

nikkon

Comes with Nimh batteries and charger good battery life and takes compact flash cards (256meg for 40.00 from scan) only 2 mega pixel but has digital and optical zoom. No universal charger on the site but adapters might be available or I could push the boat out and just buy some duracels.

Toonman1 18 July 2003 04:18 PM

Go for the Nikon. We've just bought 3 of the 3100 (basically the same, but 3.3mp). We'll be buying another half dozen in Spetember. They're well specced, reliable and produce cracking images. One of the camera mags tested it recently and it got 9/10.

Cheers!