ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   550cc or 650cc (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/228180-550cc-or-650cc.html)

doaney 09 July 2003 12:49 PM

Fellow Scoobyneters - I have an MY99 STI v5 that has induction kit, c/s and b/b sorted. I will in the fullest of time also have a d/s - thus the breathing is sorted out. Next step after I get my knocklink is to add new petrol pump and injectors - what do you folks recommend ;)

Nezz10 09 July 2003 01:04 PM

You do not really need injectors yet.

A walbro 255lt/hr fuel pump would be a good idea together with an FSE fuel pressure regulator and the parrallel fuel rail mod.

Next step is boost levels, either dawes device with a boost gauge, electronics boost controller or remp the ECU/ replacement ECU.

Then turbo/up-pipe/intercooler/injectors

Don't forget brakes, suspension etc

MorayMackenzie 09 July 2003 01:11 PM

Why not stick to running an uprated fuel pump and adjustable FPR. If you need more fueling, you could up the fuel pressure a little. There isn't really going to be a need for the expense of injectors until you look at changing the turbo, or upping the midrange boost significantly. Changing the injectors, or running higher fuel pressure may require an ECU remap.

doaney 09 July 2003 05:50 PM

Cheers fellas - I just thought if you upgraded the fuel pump to say a 550cc or 650cc type model then it would be worth upgrading the injectors at the same time. I guess not and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be the way to go in combination with the fuel pump mod as well.
I'll assume present 440cc injectors okay for a while. Remember I'm starting off with an imported STi, has bigger turbo than classic UK turbos, running at 1.15-1.2 bar at the moment.
Nezz10 - it seems Walbro pumps have a good review, what's the dawes device m8 :)

Mark A 10 July 2003 10:10 AM

Where can I find a desription or even better pictures of the parallel fuel mod for pre 97 cars ?

Mark A

MorayMackenzie 10 July 2003 11:21 AM

One version of the mod is detailed on:
www.ravensblade-impreza.com

Principles are the same, but the fittings may well be different.

doaney 10 July 2003 01:17 PM

Cheers Russell.

Ah come on I like my B/B - nice noise that ain't too loud, after my next MOT I'll get you to do my d/s. May go for new pump and rails as you mentioned earlier - this an easy job m8? The back seat bolts off easy enough I knwo to gain access to the pump area, but don't know much about the fuel rail modification. :D

doaney 10 July 2003 07:17 PM

Right it looks like the way forward is as follows;

New fuel pump - Walbro
Parallel fuel line mod.
New FPR
Dawes Device (will have knocklink and boost gauge already)

Cheers all that lot should keep me busy for a while, well Wuz anyway :D

submannz 11 July 2003 04:15 AM

Looking at that site it should be the same

[Edited by submannz - 11/07/2003 04:16:19]

Mark A 11 July 2003 09:27 AM

What's the Weapon R attachment and can you buy one in the UK ?

Does anybody supply this as a kit form ?

Mark A

[Edited by Mark A - 11/07/2003 09:28:25]

chrome 15 July 2003 06:29 PM

looking for 550's right now...

mail if you have any ;)

ricco 15 July 2003 11:27 PM

WTF is a D/S:confused:

You hit 100 posts m8;)

WUZ 07 September 2003 09:03 PM

As I explained before Chris, you will not need bigger injectors until you go above 350 bhp and require a new turbo (350 will be about 1.5 bar on your VF28 and an IDC of 90% and up - NOT a good place to be!).

Plus you will need an aftermarket control system of some sort (AFC-II or programmable ECU [preferred!]) because the standard JECS ecu will keep adding fuel into the combustion chamber as if it was still running 440's because it cannot lean off the mix far enough as the 550's idc is out of its MAF adjustability/scaling ie MEGA RICH!!!!!! (JB - can you confirm?)In other words...leave the injectors until you want 370+ bhp

I do agree, as before, to getting the Fuel Pump and 1:1 fpr with parallel fuel rail mod that we talked about as the STiV has a history of problems - one of them being the fuel pumps inadequacy.

Firstly, we REALLY need to do something with your B/B that you have on the car. (if you still have the one you had on the last time we met!)

[Edited by WUZ - 7/9/2003 9:07:06 PM]