ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Prodrive WR Sport Fuel (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/227914-prodrive-wr-sport-fuel.html)

Alan C 08 July 2003 06:00 PM

As it is a UK model mapped for UK fuel, can I run my motor on normal Unleaded?

Muchos.

ozzy 08 July 2003 06:18 PM

Yes, you can but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a UK car, but the Prodrive model runs more boost than the std car. Better sticking with SUL or Optimax unless you have a Subaru extended warranty.

Stefan

Alan C 08 July 2003 08:33 PM

OK mate. I've also heard that it can really screw up the output, but I'm not sure if it affects my 98. I'll be running SUL anyway, but I needed to know in case my missus fills it up with UL.

In fact there's a few things on the car (Recaros and lowered for starters) that I can't find listed on the limited info about these motors. I need to check if they are above and beyond the std car. It does feel well quicker than my old 94 WRX running at 240.

So I may have to get it on a rolling road to check it out.

ozzy 08 July 2003 08:57 PM

The odd tank here and there wouldn't harm it as long as you take it easy. When you run cars on a lower octane fuel they are more prone to detonation (aka det, pinking or knock) and that'll ruin your engine pretty quickly.

The ECU should retard the ignition timing to compensate, but if your driving hard and it's start detonating like WWIII the ECU probably won't cope and something expensive will let go.

I did some contracting about 2 yrs ago and had very little work for around 3 months (luckily when work did arrive I was paid very well) but I ran the car on unleaded and just did normal lazy driving. The cars not suffered from it although prior I always used SUL and now Optimax.

The car's mapped pretty rich to cope with std unleaded, but it doesn't like being driven hard on the stuff and they're very expensive to repair when things go wrong. I'd only use it if I had no options and the price difference isn't that great to run the risk.

Stefan

Alan C 08 July 2003 09:14 PM

Agreed.

Pretty spooky too as I am contracting and awaiting a well paid job in Europe. In the meantime I can't do too much work in case this one comes up!! So UL did cross my mind!

Boost II 08 July 2003 11:41 PM

Mike Wood of Prodrive previously wrote on here....

97/98 & 99/00 Performancce package is happy to run on 95RON, however you may not see the full benefit of the package. You will still get the same %age improvement but we all know the standard car goes better on 97RON fuel. What you will not get is less performance than standard when using 95RON fuel in a performance package equipped car.

My recommendation is run 97 whenever you can find it, particularly when you know you are going to use all the performance, but dont get hung up about using it for 'normal' driving.
Hope this helps

Boost II 08 July 2003 11:59 PM

In fact there's a few things on the car (Recaros and lowered for starters) that I can't find listed on the limited info about these motors. I need to check if they are above and beyond the std car.
Prodrive WR SPort is a nice Impreza, you may be interested in what Prodrive have added to the standard car
  • Driving enhancement package (Prodrive/Sti suspension kit of Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs, 17" ST2 Speedline wheels, Quickshift gearchange)
  • Interior package (Prodrive Recaro sport seats with electric adjustment & rear seats/door inserts in matching trim, aluminium or carbon gearknob, Prodrive mats)
  • Exteror package (WR SPort rear spoiler, PIAA driving lights, Colour coded sills+mirrors and orange wedges painted black!)
  • Performance package (Prodrive ECU, Upgraded intercooler piping, Prodrive staiinless steel exhaust backbox and centre section)
  • Prodrive WR badging

All that added nearly £10k to dealers list price :eek:

[Edited by Boost II - 7/9/2003 12:03:17 AM]

Boyakasha 09 July 2003 08:03 AM

Alan we ran a WR for 4 years on Unleaded and absolutely no problems.

We hade the full monty. From what I believe you only got the WR badge if you got everything.

[Edited by Boyakasha - 7/9/2003 9:51:19 AM]

Alan C 09 July 2003 10:04 AM

Boost,

Cheers mate that helps a lot! Especially about the non reduced power output from using UL, which I read somewhere was a major problem. I tried doing some searched for the WR but got lots about the RB5. Nice one....

I was going to have a good look over the paperwork and see if any of the package was extra to the std WR sport stuff, but your list looks like it all.

Apart from a security device that locks the gearlever in reverse through the transmission tunnell.

It also has a BOV that annoyed me popping off at very low speeds, so I've got them to stick a stiffer spring in. Will check that out today.

Attu... Thats the one I'm picking up today... Got them down in price and they threw a 'Road Angel in as well. I highly reccommend the boys over there, great lads.

Boyakasha... Cheers mate, backs up Boosts post a lot. I definately won't worry about the odd tank of UL now.

Monday Lad 15 July 2003 12:44 AM

...And the white dials have "WR Sport" on them if it was a factory Prodrive WR Sport.

Attu 07 September 2003 12:44 AM

There cant be many WR Sports around, my MY98 PPP has everything apart from the Interior package.
Infact Ive only ever seen one WR Sport and that was a silver one for sale at Well lane a while ago.

Andy

[Edited by Attu - 7/9/2003 12:44:59 AM]