ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Company Relocation - Non-taxable Purchases - Anyone got any experience? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/227793-company-relocation-non-taxable-purchases-anyone-got-any-experience.html)

P1Fanatic 08 July 2003 12:51 PM

My company is relocating. As part of the relocation package I get a lump sum payable 1 month before I move. According to the policy I can only spend it on certain things, in fact to quote it:

The payment is only intended to cover those costs that are accepted as non-taxable by the Inland Revenue. The employee will be required to provide receipts for all expenditure and repay any monies not spent or which is spent on non-qualifying items
There are brief guidelines on the IR website, but does anyone else whose received relocation assistance have any good ideas on some good things to blow this cash, as obviously I want to get as much as I can out of it?

Simon.

[Edited by P1Fanatic - 7/8/2003 12:52:38 PM]

Dunk 08 July 2003 12:56 PM

Off the top of my head I think it's an £8k limit before it becomes classed as a benefit in kind.
You should include:
Agents fees
Legal Fees
Stamp Duty
Removal Costs
Survey / mortgage arragement fees
A reasonable amount of travel costs to hunt for new house.
....etc.
I'm sure you can get to £8k without trying too hard !

D

P1Fanatic 08 July 2003 01:01 PM

All you have listed is already paid for - the lump sum is extra on top for the "inconvenience" if you like.

It lists a couple of things like appliances etc - if it comes to it Ill buy a £2k dishwasher if it means not giving them any money back.

I just want to know if stuff like carpets, curtains, sofas, beds etc come under the tax-exempt bracket. As Im fairly sure a 9-ball pool table doesnt :(

Simon.

P1Fanatic 08 July 2003 02:05 PM

Anyone else?

jasey 08 July 2003 03:35 PM

Why don't you ask the HR Dept in your company what you're allowed to spend it on - sometimes radical solutions are required ;):D

P1Fanatic 08 July 2003 03:42 PM

I would if I was at work. Ive emailed them but no response. I wasnt looking for strict guidelines, just an idea about what others have spent their on in the past.

Simon.

P1Fanatic 08 July 2003 05:06 PM

Wow theyve actually replied. Looks like pretty much anything to furnish the house is covered. Their might be a pool table coming my way very soon :)

Simon.

stevem2k 08 July 2003 05:19 PM

plasma screen

jasey 09 July 2003 09:56 AM

Top Tip - keep the e-mail from HR - they've a habit of changing their minds ;).

Don't forget the beer fridge !

polarbearit 09 July 2003 10:48 AM

Just doing a relocation myself... Its very very easy to reach the £8k limit! My relocation is likely to cost 2+ times that quite easily, fortunately company funded, unfortunately I'll still have a hefty tax liability!!!

Tsunami 09 July 2003 12:54 PM

i wonder if the company will allow u to use the money to part pay for a new car? part payment for new M3 in order to drive to work sound cool ;)

worley 09 July 2003 01:03 PM

I've been through this twice and on each occasion I received £1.5k for replacable items. e.g items you had to leave behind in the last house. I'm certain 'white goods' are NOT allowed.

I spend mine on daft stuff like:

Curtains
Duvets
Beds
Shelves

In brief, bought some top quality housey things and didn't worry when the taxman got interested. Top tip - keep all receipts.

P1Fanatic 09 July 2003 01:20 PM

Chris - I believe Drinky has asked this already and was told no!

Simon.

Markus 09 July 2003 05:47 PM

I should know some of this, having relocated to Canada.

from what I recall, the sum is used to replace like for like items that you had back home, so, for example, fridge, freezer, cooker, bed, sofa, etc...

I could be wrong on this.

Bottom line, keep ALL recipts for ANYTHING you purchase