ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Car Choices (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/227363-car-choices.html)

IanW 07 July 2003 11:56 AM

Up to about £15k to spend, needs to be able to seat 4 adults, and also a convertible.

Tiggs 07 July 2003 12:06 PM

ian,

i currently drive a TVR and got the topless bug.....however, i have a bad back so now need an auto so i looked at convertible salons.

THEY WERE ALL SHOCKING!!!!! i found anything under 20K shook like a flimsy shoebox and even beyond that there are few gooduns.

Volvo c70.....shook, it would put each wheel in pot holes in turn...quite bizare, like driving a bike with oval wheels.

Saab......shook at a stand still.

audi (old).....shook (and looks old)

even M3 EVO.......shoooooooook and went fast, and looks old now

in the end i have settled on a 330 sport convertible as its the only one i found that didnt shakkkkkkkeeeeee....not much help to you at twice your budget. At 15k i wouldnt bother.

Tiggs

IanW 07 July 2003 12:09 PM

Thankfully it is not my budget, I still have the Scoob, although if it does have to be replaced I can see myself replacing it with a bike, and a 330 Coupe Diesel BMW.

I think what I am going to have to do is go out and try the cars, just how I want to spend my weekends :rolleyes:

Reffro 07 July 2003 12:12 PM

Its another shaker but at that price you probably want to have a look at the last of the 306 Cabrio's. Very pretty.

Dracoro 07 July 2003 12:25 PM

I think pretty much all convertibles will suffer from scuttle shake unless they are a purpose built convertible (S2000, boxster, Z3/4 etc.). Most the other convertible have been 'converted' from a hatch/saloon forebear so will have lost rigidity. Roadsters were designed as a convertible from day 1 so the rigidity is built into the car.

I guess a Merc CLK would be pretty good. (not sure about cost though!!)

[Edited by Dracoro - 7/7/2003 12:27:54 PM]

IanW 07 July 2003 12:27 PM

I think teh 306 does look a very smart car actually! :D

Tiggs 07 July 2003 12:36 PM

merc shook worse than the BM, and although its light it feels heavy.......also looks a bit.....old man.

T

Dracoro 07 July 2003 12:39 PM

Still in old man territory but what about Jag XK8?

RS Grant 07 July 2003 01:35 PM

Went and test drove an Audi A4 Cabriolet, one of the brand new ones, the model I drove was the 1.8T and driving the 2.5TDi this week sometime.

Very impressed with the smoothness and tightness of the drive. Also, with the roof up it was extremely well insulated, I was very impressed!! :)

Well worth a look IMHO, and Top Gear rated the 2.5TDi Cabrio over the V8 Merc CLK Cabrio last night!! :D

Cheers,
Grant

Dapster 07 July 2003 03:13 PM

£15k, 4 seats and rigid build is a tough ask - I would suggest a Merc E class cabrio (W124 model) - you'll get a nice E320 c'93 (K) for that but don't expect to have any fun driving it.

A Porsche 968 Cab may come in at under £15k but I can't remember if they have 4 seats or not....

barge 07 July 2003 09:43 PM

TART

just get a sliver focus :D

or like bishopsgate police

a Skoda octavia RS

IanW 07 July 2003 11:13 PM

Looks like I am spending the weekend going around car dealers then! :rolleyes:

Ahh well I will have to wait a week or two before going to look for my bike :D