ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   ECU choices... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/226514-ecu-choices.html)

chrome 07 April 2003 12:28 PM

heres my choices:

TEK
APexi
Autronic (?)
Link

going to be aiming for around 350 brake soon so nee summat that can hadle that easy, and be flexible for the future :D :D

any thoughts?

[Edited by chrome - 7/4/2003 12:30:50 PM]

bobfrog1 07 April 2003 06:49 PM

Contact Grommit @ ATC, he'll supply + map the autronic kit, he really knows his stuff, just have a chat with him to see what he can do for you

[Edited by bobfrog1 - 7/4/2003 6:50:29 PM]

David_Wallis 04 July 2003 01:30 PM

Autronic

WREXY 04 July 2003 01:37 PM

Tek 3 would be ideal and it's the cheapest option. Furthermore you have excellent tuners that post on here that would be able to sort you out and help you out if you want to upgrade past the 350 stage sometime in the future.

I like the Ecutek software cos you get to keep the factory cold idle, hot idle, airco idle and smooth driveability qualities. Only the performance sections such as fuel, timing and boost is touched and sometimes the MAF map depending on what induction kit you are using. The other good thing is that the ECU does not need to get touched physically as the mapping is done via the diagnostic port under the dash of the car.

I have a Tek 3 on my car which was mapped by John Banks and I'm ecstatic with it. No problems whatsoever and there is a substantial increase in performance along with the rest of my mods.

Cheers,

George.

chrome 04 July 2003 06:20 PM

but can a TEK handle 350bhp+ ??

I will email JB and BR ;)

chrome 04 July 2003 06:26 PM

wrt to Pat doing tuning- does he have his own tuning business???
I dont know pat personally...
I just hear he loves to map scoobs :) and is very good at it.

what can he map? any type of ECU?

Autronic?
LInk?
etc..

David_Wallis 04 July 2003 07:20 PM

however the only uk distibutor of autronic is mark shead at madevelopments..

Autronic is currently running engines over 1500hp obviously not scoobs though..

(mine supports 8 injectors 8 cylinders, has dwell board..)

Pat can or will map autronic.. Pat offers ecutek mappping (well actually he doesnt, scoobysport do, and pat does it)

He also does pectel.. and yes he is good..

David

Andy.F 04 July 2003 08:16 PM

Microtech LT8 is excellent value :) As used in Auz on the record breaking 600+ bhp Impreza's. Costs is only £500-£600 however you also need a boost controller (or Dawes valve)
I've just mapped one on my own car and I believe Pat is going to be doing them in the future too.

Andy

P20SPD 04 July 2003 11:48 PM

PMSL @ Wallis and Grommitt being genuingley mentioned in the same thread:D:D:D:D

chrome 05 July 2003 04:11 PM

how do I get hold of pat to find out mapping costs?

Dyney 05 July 2003 05:44 PM

pat: pat@nanobyte.demon.co.uk

chrome 06 July 2003 10:00 AM

thank you. ;)

pat 07 July 2003 02:10 AM

A few points if I may...

David, just for the sake of correctness, both Scoobysport and I are ECUTEK dealers (we both have our own respective copies of the software, dongles and licenses). I have done, and still do all the custom mapping work for Scoobysport. I am also able to offer mapping services through other channels.

With regard to the power target, it is quite possible to get that type of figure from a remapped OE ECU. There are issues as the power increases beyond this point, this is because there are "hard" flow limits in the ECU that you cannot readily get round without affecting some other area of the ECU's operation. For example, rescaling the MAF to under-read and then adjusting the fuel and ignition tables to compensate, in an effort to raise the upper limit will have a knock on effect on the other tables in the ECU that you don't have access to...

With regard to what I can map, basically anything that has a means of mapping it ;) Thus far I've mapped (in chronological order) PossumLink, Pectel, MoTeC, ECUTEK, GEMS, Haltech, and am currently looking at AEM, Autronic, Bosch Motronic, JECS, Microtech, Weber IAW, and anything else someone just dumps on the doostep ;)

Cheers,

Pat.

chrome 07 July 2003 08:26 AM

"With regard to the power target, it is quite possible to get that type of figure from a remapped OE ECU"
:eek: :D that's a first!
No-one had mentioned that option before...

350 will more than suffice.... for now ;)
Thanks Pat.

Hobbsy 07 July 2003 08:35 AM

Pat, ever heard of a Zytek? I have a BMW 333i Turbo (E30) that has this board in it. AVA at Glasgow originally mapped, and Janspeed had a go but did not get anywhere. I think they were used on touring cars during the 80s & 90s. Am looking to go front mount intercooler as the placing of the one that is in there is less than ideal and will obviously require mapping later.

john banks 07 July 2003 09:24 AM

Chrome, indeed there are two of us in Scotland that have had 400+ BHP on a conservative rolling road in warm weather using remapped standard ECUs. I intend to continue using one for my 450 BHP project wherever possible, but as always there are compromises.

pat 07 July 2003 11:56 AM

Hobbsy,

Guess you mean these guys http://www.zytek.co.uk ?

Can't say that I've ever messed about with one, but I could try and get some info and perhaps the mapping software (if there is any, maybe I just gotta dig out my EPROM programmer :D ).

Chrome,

As John has said, there are already cars making over 400 on OE engine management with some "tweaks" ;) The highest flow figures I've seen with a stock ECU without massaging the MAF scaling is just over 290 g/sec which is darn close to the "hard" flow limit, and should be approximately 380 BHP. This applies to the Denso ECUs, the MY99-00 ECUs are a little different and perhaps a little more obliging with higher flow figures :)

Cheers,

Pat.

David_Wallis 07 July 2003 12:03 PM

Pat I appollogise..

Am I the Autronic Gineau (sp?) pig??

David

chrome 07 July 2003 12:21 PM

wow.

thanks Pat/JB :)

That should save me some money in the short term then :)
YHM to discuss prices for OE remap costs..
thanks

steve_nairn_sti 07 July 2003 12:47 PM

Sorry to Hi -jack your thread but has anyone extracted a zero sports map before? I have one in my Sti II but I live in north of scotland so if anyone in Scotland is capable ;) feel free to mail me!

Thanks,

Steve