ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   S2000 wrapped up in Andover (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/226208-s2000-wrapped-up-in-andover.html)

TVR Gary 03 July 2003 03:34 PM

What is it with these cars. They seem to keep reversing into trees and stuff. Just been told about another one in Andover. Hit a sign this time.

Paulo P 03 July 2003 03:36 PM

Is it wet? Apparently the older ones didn't handle too well and are snappy in the wet :eek: I drove one a few years ago and it handled really well

Paul

Dracoro 03 July 2003 04:53 PM

Any powerful RWD will come off in the wet if you don't drive it properly (tvr, s2000, m3 etc. etc.).

Like a TVR, the s2000 doesn't have namby pamby ;) traction control, stability control etc. It demands respect to drive it hard in the wet (and that's why it's so rewarding). If you want something that demands less driving skill then get an FWD/AWD with all the traction/stability controls on offer (yawn ;))

The newer (post MY02) s2000 had the suspension tweaked. This made it slightly easier to drive and a little softer. The pre-02's will be faster round a track though and are more 'dedicated'. Having said this, you'd hardly notice the difference between the two in most conditions.

Tyres also play a large factor. If it's wet and your rears are worn, it will slide around (great fun :D)

Ultimately, drivers crash cars, not the other way round.

MGJohn 03 July 2003 05:31 PM

>>> Any powerful RWD will come off in the wet if you don't drive it properly (tvr, s2000, m3 etc. etc.). <<<

Better not tell beemer drivers that ..... that's classified info man .... ;)

Ultimate driving experience and all that .... gimme good old torque steer any rainy day ....:D

zedder123 03 July 2003 06:23 PM

Oh dear, another 'flat capped' pop at good 'ole BMW from the MG meister :rolleyes:

Mmmmm 03 July 2003 06:25 PM

No limited slip diff either.

Dracoro 03 July 2003 06:52 PM

no LSD? On what? The S2000 DOES have LSD.

Mmmmm 03 July 2003 08:14 PM

oops

You're right its the torque-sensing limited slip differential thats the problem ;)

Christ 03 July 2003 11:03 PM

""Ultimate driving experience and all that .... gimme good old torque steer any rainy day ....""

Torque steer's nothing to do with traction,its purely wind up in the transmission - usually undersized drive shafts..

Most "Binned" S2000's are down to backing off the throttle mid corner, which can be like pulling on the handbrake..

Nick_TypeUK 04 July 2003 02:07 PM

High powered RWD cars nead to be driven properly, especially so in the wet, i have spun E43 M3s in the dry with no problems.

LitchfieldImports 04 July 2003 05:10 PM

I adore our S2000 it is every bit as much fun as my M3 and the engine is just stunning & economical :) Powerstation fitted Bilsteins to our car and it handles brilliantly :D

Regards

Iain
www.litchfieldimports.co.uk

ADP 05 July 2003 02:17 PM

does an S2000 really need fancy suspension? I thought the new car was sorted now?