ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Rear EBC Greenstuff pads for the Type-R? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/225712-rear-ebc-greenstuff-pads-for-the-type-r.html)

CRAIGFIN 07 February 2003 01:08 PM

I am getting some EBC Greenstuff pads for my MY99 STI Type-R, front and rear. The company I'm using have quoted £81 for the fronts but say there are 4 different pad shapes for the rear for that particular caliper and year. Is this true? They need me to take my car in to match the right shape pad. Has anybody got these pads fitted to a 99 Type-R and have you got the product code number for them.

Cheers,

Craig.

[Edited by CRAIGFIN - 7/2/2003 2:04:00 PM]

greasemonkey 07 March 2003 03:17 AM

Greenstuffs are carp, avoid at all costs, even on the back. If you use 'em with decent pads on the front, you'll end up with more than a bit of an imbalance, which won't be nice. The fronts may do the lion's share of the stopping, but you need the rears to keep up...

If your primary concern is keeping your wheels clean, you're probably driving the wrong car. Either way though, the rears don't produce that much mess, even with a "dirty" pad, so just wax your wheels and accept the fact that you'll have to clean them every now and again (you'd have to with the EBC's anyway).

As for the correct pad shape, if you've got an STi Type R, you should have two pot rear calipers, with pin-retained pads. The various slide caliper designs don't have pinned pads, so that should take care of the selection...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 7/3/2003 3:19:33 AM]

Gidney&Knowlesy 02 July 2003 01:12 PM

Craig, not quite mastered the clicky thing but go here for EBC stuff:

http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk/htdocs/acatalog/_aboutus.html

CRAIGFIN 02 July 2003 01:53 PM

Cheers for the replies, fellas

XtremeScoobies,

Great site, but there are pages and pages of post 98 Greenstuff pads so I'm still non the wiser as to which rear pads fit mine.

Has anybody got a V5 Type-R with rear Greenstuff's fitted????

Craig.

CRAIGFIN 02 July 2003 03:05 PM

I've just done a search for the Greenstuff pads on Scoobynet, what a lot of negative opinion!!!!!!

I wanted them for their lack of dust release. The Ferodo's appear to give off loads of dust and squeal.

Is there a pad that has the best of both worlds, less dust/squeal.

Any recommends!!!

Craig.

Chris Clayton 02 July 2003 03:46 PM

You have mail re brake pads

Chris

Gidney&Knowlesy 02 July 2003 04:19 PM

Jason cheers, I have now copied your mail and believe I can do a clicky........but a little practise on the muppet forum I feel won't go a miss.

Craig.......there was a contact number! Just call them and they'll do the rest its that easy.

I struggled for ages through 100 different products but everytime I call its all sorted.....

what would scooby do 02 July 2003 04:43 PM

craig, I put EBC greenstuff on my Type R (existing ones where worn and these where all I could get locally.

Let's just say after trying them for a couple of days, I refused to drive with them and bought some proper pads.

They'll be fine on the rears, but custard creams would be a better choice on the front [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Adam...

Gidney&Knowlesy 02 July 2003 05:02 PM

LOL at Custard Creams......now where can I source those from...no brake dust and if you're feeling hungry....

stockcar 03 July 2003 08:29 AM

normal recomend for this car would be something like Ferodo ds2500..........definately not "three lettered things"!!!!!!
we have tested most makes of pads ourselves in various cars and the general observation is that these do not do "what it says on the tin"! this is our own highly personal opinion......just to keep things on the legal side

keep the Ferodo in stock for your application, as above its a two pot opposed caliper rather than the earlier 'sliding' calipers on the earlier cars........
hope this is of help
alyn - asperformance.com