ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Custom Subwoofer Enclosure? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/224473-custom-subwoofer-enclosure.html)

TripleBlack 07 January 2003 09:07 PM

Wait, wait. You're talking about the stuff that's made up of sawdust and glue right? Not the larger flakes of wood put together into almost a plywood...

My impression is that the flaked wood doesn't produce good sound because it's not as dense as chipboard. (Sawdust & glue.)

Now I'm confused. I've used the sawdust stuff thus far, have I been doing it all wrong?

Help! -Dave

[Edited by TripleBlack - 7/1/2003 9:09:19 PM]

TripleBlack 28 June 2003 10:10 PM

Hello all. I'm getting ready to purchase my first Impreza. (I know, I know. I don't have a scooby! So what am I doing on this forum!) I've wanted one desperately but I haven't been able to come up with the $$ nessesary for the purchase.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting the Impreza Outback Sport. Simmilar to your 5 door turbo hatchback. Being an nature loving bloke? Is that the right term? (I'm trying to pick up on the British slang.) I need all the interior space I can. Bike, snowboard, etc...

Has anyone been succesful installing a molded subwoofer enclosure? Building it your self? I know a guy that could hook me up with a fiberglass job on it. But I don't know where to start as far as framing or whatever you spray the fiberglass on. Any tips?

It looks like most of you fellows own the coupe version of the car, so even if you've done this project it may not work for the wagon version...

Thanks for reading all of my post. I realize it was a bit lengthy.

Peace from the US of A! -TripleBlack

DJFish 28 June 2003 10:55 PM

As far as I can remember, moulding fibreglass is messy and it smells.
Why not just buy one from these people, then tell me how it performs as I'm thinking about getting one as well.

Cheers
Dave

chiark 29 June 2003 06:53 PM

Yep, I'm working with fibreglass tonight :D on a 2003 wagon. The stuff is basically matting (the glass fibre) and resin (the plastic that solidifies) and isn't too bad to work with.

It's not that nasty, but it does smell...

What sort of enclosure are you thinking of?

[Edited by chiark - 6/29/2003 6:56:12 PM]

TripleBlack 29 June 2003 07:27 PM

Thanks for the replys so far.
DJFish, I actually have checked out that website. Cool products but, after the exchange rate and shipping (overseas) it's a bit much for my wallet to handle. None the less, great and stealthly units. Anyone have a pair up for sale, used?

chiark, I currently have 1 RockfordFosgate Punch -DVC- 12" (That's about 30.5 cm right?) Anyway, it defenetly packs enough punch but requires quite a bit of air to work with. The box I use in my Talon TSi is between 2 and 3 cubic feet (About 72 cm) It seems that would be kinda' hard to fit in a inconspicous place. So either I can stuff the box with polyfill or I could go with 2 - 10 inchers...
But yeah, chark if you have any plans you could post up here or photos of the installation...

Thanks again to you both! -TB

FireAndIce 30 June 2003 08:37 PM

Fiberglass is (potentially) nasty stuff. Gives great results, but is not always the most pleasant to work with. I would say have a practice with it first- don't try and make your build straight away. Once you've got the principal behind it, things become easier. MDF is also fine to work with. It is obviously heavier than fiberglass, but cheaper and easier to work with. Another plus side being that you can always use the MDF as a mold for the fiberglass too.

chiark 30 June 2003 10:00 PM

I'm using a Diamond Audio M6 dual 2 ohm 12" woofer. It'll do :D, and it only needs .7 cu ft. Draw a line from the left hand side rear suspension turret to the back of the trunk and that's the front of the box. The rear is mostly MDF, with just a bit of fibreglass to go over the wheelarch neatly.

I'm using the original "false floor" and integrating with that.

Here's a "work in progress":
http://www.chiark.com/scooby/image/my03/ice/box_fit.jpg

And here's the "inside" showing where needs fibreglassing up
http://www.chiark.com/scooby/image/m.../box_inner.jpg

Cheers,
Nick.

white scooby 30 June 2003 10:05 PM

Nick

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the m6 12 from cause i'm getting rid of my 2 10's for just 1 12.

Simon

Si.t 30 June 2003 10:53 PM

good pics there nick, probably what i'll be doing soon in the scoob. You're oop north, like, aren't you? I might be relocating to Leeds later this year...

TripleBlack 30 June 2003 11:17 PM

chiark (Nick),

Thanks for the imput and the pics. Keep us posted!
By the way, what's this 'MDF' stuff? I'm not fammiliar with it...
Where do you buy it? (That may not help me though. :) )

Thanks! -Dave

FireAndIce 30 June 2003 11:25 PM

'Medium Density Fiberboard'. It's the wood used for school projects etc. and by those darn annoying interior designers on TV :) . You can get it from any home improvement store. B&Q is the biggest chain here, not sure what it is in the US, though I'm sure it'll be bigger, better stocked and cheaper than ours!

TripleBlack 01 July 2003 02:35 AM

Ah yes. We call it "chip board." I know exactly what you mean now, I've actually used it several times for projects. (Including the Box for my Subwoofer and amp mount, in my Talon.

(Thanks.) -Dave

atche 01 July 2003 08:51 AM

MDF isnt chipboard - we have chipboard in the UK as well. One word of caution - be careful when using MDF, breathing in the dust is harmful 2 your health.

Nice install chiark!

chiark 01 July 2003 04:52 PM

Yeah, it's medium density fibreboard over here.

Over there, it's called medium density fiberboard ;)

Home Depot should sell it.

The D6 12 came from Unbeatable.co.uk, but you can get a better price from elsewhere if you know what to ask - drop me a mail :D

chiark 02 July 2003 08:13 AM

Sawdust and glue, that's the stuff. Fiberboard.

Chipboard is chips of wood glued together.

You want to use the sawdust and glue stuff :D

TripleBlack 07 July 2003 02:21 AM

All right. I've got it straight. (Thanks) -Dave

chiark 07 July 2003 08:38 AM

Marvellous :D

I put another layer of fibreglass on last night. A final layer on another area of the box and I should be ready to fire up a sub - at last!!!!

Cheers,
Nick.