ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   volvo T5 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/224125-volvo-t5.html)

trickdick 27 June 2003 03:10 PM

was looking at a van as i need alot of room for stuff etc
but my friend said what about a t5
has anyone had/driven one?
are they any good?

NACRO 27 June 2003 03:24 PM

They are pretty quick when on the move- even more so when chipped to 250BHP. Loads of room in the estate, good build quality, heated seats and if you get a nice one a good stereo, air-con etc.
I like them and would have bought one instead of my wagon if my girlfriend had been able to bear the shame of Volvo ownership (doesn't bother me in the slightest)

Nick_TypeUK 27 June 2003 03:34 PM

I had a T5 for a while

Very well built and nicely finished, huge space inside, i seam to rememeber getting a double bed in the back without have to bend the mattress.

Drives like a total dollope, its not a sports car, its got some pace but its strictly a motorway chomper

heres the procedure for taking a corner in my T5

turn the steering wheel
this starts the automatic inbuilt fax system (email would be to fast)
a fax is sent to your volvo dealer notifying them that you have turned the steering wheel and you would like the wheels to turn.
the dealer signs this and then fax it to Volvo UK
Volvo UK counter sign the steering request and then send it to Volvo HQ
Volvo HQs CEO counter signs it and then faxese it to the Wheel Directional Control department.
The WDC department then send a confirmation fax to your car
The front wheels on your car then turn into the corner

:p

KrazY_IvaN 27 June 2003 03:44 PM

try asking any questions you have here, you might get a more informed answer them from other BB's (sorry thats not a pop at any body)

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboard.php

Kel1977 27 June 2003 03:55 PM

I used to own an 850R estate (kind of like a meaner T5), it was all very nice, lots of toys and stuff. The actual dials were all a bit dull (the interior wasn't sporty in anyway), but the seats were very comfy indeed :)

It loved petrol (20mpg ish), and at speed it felt like it wasn't going to stop - same for cornering, hitting one at speed and it felt like a bad Channel crossing or something, swaying all over the place.

My girlfriend says it was the best car we ever owned though. Personally i'd buy an STi estate :D

Kel

[Edited by Kel1977 - 6/27/2003 3:56:16 PM]

[Edited by Kel1977 - 6/27/2003 3:57:04 PM]

NACRO 27 June 2003 03:56 PM

try here too www.t5uk.com

They are slow witted in corners that's for sure but they'll give an Impreza a fright on motorway slip roads and dual carriageways.

EvilBevel 27 June 2003 04:17 PM

ROFL @ Nick :D

Sounds very true :)

But... they are still nice cars as long as you don't take them for "sports cars".

I still have my MY96 T5 and I doubt I will ever get rid of it until it falls apart.

Oodles of space too indeed.

The Electronic Climate Control is brilliant BTW.

The "850" model should be pretty cheap now as well.

Incidently: they have the same turbo as an Impreza ! :)

trickdick 27 June 2003 07:32 PM

i'm still keeping the scooby :)
just need loads of space something imprezas don't have

J4CKO 27 June 2003 10:05 PM

We had one for four years, it was fast, solid, reliable and comfy, aggree with most of the comments but they dont handle as badly as people would have you beleive, cant compare to a Scoob but for a big lump not bad, part price aint that bad if you go to www.eurocarparts.com (discs and pads for the front 70 quid, fit em yourself), even the favourite consumable the 205/60/16 is fairly cheap nowadays, mpg about 24.

Once rolling they are as quick as a uk Scoob upto a ton, then they will pull past due to being not much heavier and not haviong 4wd losses.