ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   STi8 battery problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/223058-sti8-battery-problems.html)

SU3ARU 24 June 2003 06:38 PM

Went to start my car on Saturday after having left it for a week. The engine started to turn but then died and the alarm went off.

Tried again and the same thing. Next time the engine wouldn't even start to turn.

Concluded that the battery was flat so called Subaru Assist (no jump leads to hand) and they jumped it for me.

I am concerned that my car's battery will die after just one week of non-use. Am sure I have left it longer than this in the past.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Could it just be a dodgy battery that I need to get Subaru to replace or something shorting somewhere?

Cheers
peter

Tiny 24 June 2003 06:47 PM

Yepp def the Battery, Have the same problem with my wrx 01 leave it for a week and is flat as a pancake, Got the dealer to check and they said that it was fine :rolleyes:, Sorted the problem though with a trickle charger from Halfords:)Still worrying though if you need to leave the car at the airport for a week though ( if you are that brave!!)Will it srart upon arrival? Something does not seem to clever , May be the Alarm sensor Draining?

Tiny...

sammyh 24 June 2003 06:48 PM

Had the same problem, a new battery has solved it :)

ramdor 24 June 2003 07:37 PM

also had this... item 1000203 on my list of problems with my sti8 03... its all good fun ;)

Richie.

simo 24 June 2003 08:39 PM

Thought it was just me :( 1 week and flat as a pancake. I am going to call dealer wed to try & sort a new battery.

cheers simon

JohnD 24 June 2003 08:43 PM

There are definatly some bad batteries installed. My sons STi7 had to have a new battery after symptoms described, and we know of an STi8 owner with the same problem. The problem will come back - insist on a new battery, preferably NOT the standard fit.
JohnD

philgr 24 June 2003 10:59 PM

Same here as well,
Left car for a couple of days, and it would not start, called Subaru Assist, and they arrived inside 15mins (is this a record??)
Not had any problems since, as the car is used most days, but i have notified the dealer of the problem just incase of a repeat problem

Phil G

Harry_Boy 24 June 2003 11:17 PM

Isn't it more likely to be the alarm that's draining it somehow?

phil_r24 24 June 2003 11:28 PM

Got exactly the same problem!! What a pain.

Any suggestions on what’s my best bet for getting a replacement battery? Dealer or Subaru Assist?

Thanks for the help.

Steve777 24 June 2003 11:31 PM

Just got back after two weeks hol and mine started first turn of the key

Confused why people are getting huge fault lists as well as mine has been perfect (Touch wood) and so have the other three Impreza I have had before (All from New)

:confused::rolleyes::p:

darms 25 June 2003 03:29 PM

Try getting one of these...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/Mod...37&modulecode=

SU3ARU 26 June 2003 09:16 AM

Had trouble agian this morning, but luckily there was just enough juice to get it started. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they are going to have look at it to see if the battery needs replacing.

Steve777 - this is the first problem I have had with the new car (also touch wood) and had very few on my previsou Scoob.

Peter

phil_r24 26 June 2003 05:23 PM

Hi all,

Anyone out there having problems with their STi8 battery, and who has access to a volt metre may want to check the amount being drained from the battery.

The offical figures for the RAC Trackstar are apparently:

Idle: 0.07ma

Active Tracking: 0.14ma

(If you find that more than the above is being drawn then Trackstar will send out an engineer to check the instalation).

Can anyone else think of anything that will be pulling power from the battery while the car is sitting there (other than the clock)?

Going to get myself a volt metre asap, and get checking :0)

Hope the above helps.

ST AYE 26 June 2003 10:00 PM

Alarms draw current all the time.
I have a Yamaha bike, the battery on which (£130.00 a pop) is completely flattened by the alarm in 7 days of no use. Starting every couple of days for a while, followed by a trickle charger sorted the problem out.
I will be visiting maplins before my car arrives.

simo 27 June 2003 08:27 PM

Spoke with my dealer this week who is aware that a few are having problems. Said no problem in changing, all under warrenty, can get done now or at 10k service.

cheers simon

MARK MORRIS 28 June 2003 02:33 AM

sounds like a duff battery, used to leave my p1 for up to month, started first time, sometimes leave my 7 for a week or so, no probs
mark

Waltong 04 July 2003 10:16 PM

Same problem for me. Left my baby at Gatwick for 2 weeks and had to wait 2 hours for a jump start!! My dealer has been a total waster. Thought these chaps were better than ya average trader but since taking my 25K they haven't ever returned one of my calls!

SU3ARU 06 July 2003 09:32 PM

Took the car back to the dealer on Monday and they replaced the battery without any problem. Have been driving it regularly since, so won't know until I leave it again if there is something else wrong.

Peter

Phil 07 July 2003 09:38 PM

Got back from Zante last night and my MY01 battery was flat as a pancake

NCP jumped it for me [Bargain as the parking cost me £99 for 2 weeks]

Happened last year as well

S**t happens

Phil

ST AYE 16 July 2003 04:39 PM

Maplins solar battery charger now £30.00 off
http://www.maplin.co.uk/default.asp?CartID=431614&targetmodule=33337

SU3ARU 11 August 2003 08:40 AM

Well it has happened again! This time after leaving the car for only five days - surely this shouldnot happen on a new battery!

Was meant tp be driving up to Yorkshire from London on Friday night, weant to start it and nothing :( Called Subaru Assist and they couldn't get anyone to me for 1.5 hours so had to taket the Wife's Clio instead.

Got back last night, borrowed some jump leads and got it going.

Will get it back to the dealer this week, but does anyone here have any idea of what it could be? Something shorting out?

Cheers
Peter