ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Starnge CEL behaviour!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/222791-starnge-cel-behaviour.html)

RON 23 June 2003 11:03 PM

Guy's,
I have a decatted my00, with a dawes and filter, the CEL has not come on for at least 6 months, but, I just took a leisurely drive to town, and it came on twice, an even gentler few miles and it goes out. So, any ideas??

Also, which plugs do I put together under the dash to get the error code tp show??

Ta in advance.

Ron.

Jolly Green Monster 23 June 2003 11:55 PM

have a look here

Sounds like a sensor going out of range and then back in when you drive it slowly.. MAF or Lambda at a guess..

Take it easy until sorted.

JGM :)

RON 24 June 2003 12:12 AM

TA,
Do I need to connect both pairs of connectors to do just the diagnostic test then??

Jolly Green Monster 24 June 2003 12:28 AM

Yes..

Connect them both, turn immobiliser off, turn on ignition (don;t start engine yet), place foot to the floor on accelerator, back to half throttle and hold for a bit (I do 30seconds), foot off accelerator, start engine and drive.. just drive it slowly..
you will get a flash on the CEL after a couple of minutes or less.. either the ok code, or an error code. Disconnect plugs.

JGM

Dark Blue Mark 24 June 2003 03:04 PM

Ron,

Glen had this and it was the 02 sensor.

MB

Myk 24 June 2003 03:43 PM

Hi Ron

JGM just described how to reset ecu

To get the error codes just connect the two black connectors, switch the ignition on, immobolizer off etc the cel light will flash like morse code this is the error code

if your around poole if you bring it over i'll tell you :)

Mike (Modified front end WRX) :D

Jolly Green Monster 24 June 2003 08:42 PM

JGM just described how to reset ecu
Very true.. sorry bit tired when I wrote that..

error codes are just one of the connectors, I think it is black ones.. says on that website..

Am sorry I must have miss ready your replace RON.

JGM

RON 24 June 2003 10:51 PM

Thanks guy's, I'll try to get round to it tomorrow.

RON 24 June 2003 11:22 PM

Just in case it is the O2 sensor, where is it, and, can I change it myself??

Ta.

Myk 25 June 2003 08:57 AM

Sensor is situated at the top of the downpipe, just by the turbo

Shouldn't be too hard to do, I'll let you know at the end of the week as my replacement should be here by then!

Mike

RON 25 June 2003 04:37 PM

Mike,
I always thought that one was the lambda???

SiPie 25 June 2003 04:39 PM

I always thought that one was the lambda???
They are different names for the same thing :)

RON 25 June 2003 04:50 PM

Thanks,
I've just done the check, it flashes loads, it tells me code 11, (crank sensor) 12, (starter switch) 32 (O2 sensor) and 53, (fuel pump or circuit)
So, it would seem to me, that the fact that the car rub=ns fine, could just mean that the )2 sensor need changing, as, if all the others were wrong, it wouldn't run, would it?

As you can tell, this is all pretty new to me, I could strip and rebuild a Mini in my sleep, but not a Scooby!!

Ron.

Jolly Green Monster 25 June 2003 09:16 PM

reset the ecu so the codes clear and see if it reoccurs and what code you get then

RON 25 June 2003 09:53 PM

Too dark now, will do it tomorrow.
Ta!

RON 25 June 2003 11:30 PM

just roughly, how much would a new O2 sensor cost??

Myk 25 June 2003 11:45 PM

Bought mine from a company on the web.

I think there site is down at the mo. Will post url when its working again :rolleyes:

Depending on how many wires yours has it'll cost between £25 and £35ish

Mike

RON 26 June 2003 12:16 AM

Cheers mate!

Myk 26 June 2003 12:31 PM

Website is back on now! :)

O2 Sensors

Mike

Squizz 26 June 2003 12:43 PM

RON, find someone with a SECS monitor... That'll tell ya exactly which codes are appearing. (I never could count the flashes properly!).

Their website has tech info downloads in the top right hand link, giving full details of the error codes and their meaning.

Wonder who did their website? ;) :rolleyes:

Squizz.

RON 26 June 2003 06:37 PM

Just done a reset, shows no errors, so til next time, it's ok!!

Cheers for all advise!

Ta
Ron.

Jolly Green Monster 26 June 2003 08:50 PM

Jolly good.. just keep an eye on it.. now you know how to check for codes you can check for them once in a while.

JGM