ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Need help getting to 300bhp (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/221592-need-help-getting-to-300bhp.html)

Abbylad 19 June 2003 03:36 PM

right here`s the crack:- i`m after 300bhp for now

MY99 UK turbo wagon
Full afterburner exhaust system (no cats)
Samco intercooler hoses
Graham Goode induction kit (bigger k&n cone than the 57i)with
75mm cold air feed from front bumper wedge to air filter
STi 5 intercooler

Will be getting TEK3 next month but i would say best i can hope for is 280bhp(?????) so need another 20bhp from somewhere. Know i can get a TD05, bigger fuel pump? injectors? to do job but is there a another way? silicon inlet pipe? anything?

Need help please

Ta

Ab

edited to say looking for as high a torque figure as possible aswell please. don`t want much eh? :D

[Edited by Abbylad - 19/06/2003 16:15:58]

Nick200 19 June 2003 03:42 PM

There are no shortcuts for that sort of power.

I dont think 300bhp is a realistic target for the td04 and you are right about fuel pump, it will struggle at 300bhp, your injectors as I beleive it are 440's which can cope but your fuel reg probably wont like it. I could be wrong m8.

Sorry m8 but i've just picked up a vf28,pump,fse regulator and need some 440's just to run 300-330 safely myself.

But lets hope an expert posts you a more pleasing reply....

Abbylad 19 June 2003 03:51 PM

oh nuts!!!!!

got other questions to do with all this lark.......will a revolution 3" straight thru exhaust help? or will i lose too much back pressure? and whats the broquet fuel system all about? where do you get it? where do you put it? cost? blah blah blah

oh, and another thing.........gruppe headers?????????

[Edited by Abbylad - 19/06/2003 15:56:39]

Pete Croney 19 June 2003 04:02 PM

Abbylad

You should get pretty damn close with the set up that you have, but if you have any spare coppers, I would go for a front feed TD05 and Walbro fuel pump and FPR from Lateral Performance.

We are in the process of Ecutek mapping a car of this spec and its at a safe 310+ bhp at the moment, without the pump or FPR. With the pump fitted and regulator, it should make 340bhp.

john banks 19 June 2003 04:26 PM

Steve Done on a good cold day at PE with hybrid TD04, STi intercooler, headers, cold feed large induction kit, inlet pipe, exhaust and mapping has had just over 300 BHP.

To comfortably and easily go over 300 BHP you need a bigger turbo. Perhaps the new age cars with reputedly bigger TD04s are bigger valves (?) might have a better chance.

At Star I don't think anyone has been over or substantially over 280 BHP with a TD04. Doesn't matter how much boost you run - one tried 25 PSI and didn't make any more power than another running 17 PSI.

I don't think you should break your neck trying to get 300 BHP, far more important is reliability and torque delivery in the real world.

However, if you are going for it think about headers and water injection.

Better still get the fuel pump and TD05.

Denmark 19 June 2003 04:39 PM

340hp,Interesting

Mine must have been giving some nice figures 1,45bar taling 1,3bar /7000rpm

With manifold and all

SKassa

Abbylad 19 June 2003 04:51 PM

hmmm, will leave almost everything as is then (see below) until i get bored, then the turbo`s on its bike and fuelling`s getting sorted.

3" straight thru exhaust or stick with the 2.5" straight thru?

Pete Croney 19 June 2003 05:35 PM

Provided the downpipe is 3", a 2.5" centre and rear will be fine.

Abbylad 19 June 2003 07:32 PM

downpipe is hayward + scott 3" and then down to 2.5" just before the flange to the centre section

Nick200 20 June 2003 02:12 PM

I'm running the complete 3" system m8 on an my97 uk with a K+N and sti i/c and recorded 255bhp and 238 torque on a very warm day.:):)

jongould-work 20 June 2003 02:20 PM

remove the FCD and crank the boost to 3 bar, then you will have 300BHP (for about 15 seconds)

other than that i would look at your fueling and mapping. should be fine if you can get that sorted

MrContro 21 June 2003 04:32 PM

Cheapest way to 300bhp that I know of, I wish I had done this, as it cost me alot more :-( - oh in hindsight

Full decat 3" exhaust system
Induction kit
Uprated fuel pump
TD05 Front entry turbo
Fuel pressure regulator - not at all essential for 300bhp but you can help to squeeze more out your injectors.
Remapped standard subaru ECU - John banks can hlp you with that
Knocklink, Lambdalink, and reliable boost gauge <---- in my opinion you really should have these basic monitoring tools to avert potential damage to your engine as there is always potential risk when when extracting more power out of your engine and these can alert you before damage is done.

trance 21 June 2003 09:41 PM

Sorry to butt in on thread, just i see alot of you are advising on induction kits. Is anyone having problems with these with regards to MAF sensors??. Just not sure on investing in one of these if they are supposed to be that deadly.

cheers

WRXKM 21 June 2003 11:42 PM

If ya have the spare cash try some Nos!!!

A modest 25bhp setup will run easily on your engine..

Abbylad 22 June 2003 11:23 AM

not wishing to sound off here but.......NOS my arse!!!!!!!! i`ll be eyeing up corsa`s and saxo`s next!

FASTER MIKE!! 22 June 2003 02:11 PM

and nova's ;):p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

as for inductions kit i've had my K&N 57i on for 3 years and no problems

mike

WRXKM 22 June 2003 04:37 PM

Whats the prob with nos???

I have been running it for just over a year now...

Its easy power..... After all what happens once you have down all normal mods... i.e Filter, decat, dump valve blah blah blah??

Hope ya got deep pockets mate cos ya gonna need them
if ya wanna go serious bhp without gas mate

sg72 22 June 2003 05:54 PM

Abbeylad
That was quick. Have you got that intercooler on already?

BTW. As far as MAFs are concerned.

After my engine blew I got a SECS unit fitted this can show MAF reading.So you can monitor its working.
Also have Knocklink, Boost guage and Oil temp/press. guage
and remap.
Can't be too cautious IMHO. If you want to use that extra power.

Tim W 23 June 2003 02:05 PM

NOS? forget it...for the money that a decent NOS kit costs you can get just as much power...but permanently not for a few seconds at a time.

I'd only consider NOS for Antilag personally ;)

Abbylad 23 June 2003 02:19 PM

hiya sg72, yeah got the intercooler on 2 days after the NBO, thanks again boss. Interested in what you said about your SECS unit reading MAF readings, how did you do that? i`ve got SECS on my MY99 and when i select it to read AF- mass air flow, i just get no data up on the screen. Do you know if its something to do with me having a uk car and ECU and yours being Jap, or have i just missed out on something you can add on?

Cheers

Ab

Abbylad 23 June 2003 02:23 PM

LOL@ FASTERMIKE, the Nova`s gone now.........scrapped.
got a pug 205 for work now :D:D:D:D:D:D