ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   any "genuine" free email accounts (pop3 / smtp) ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/221404-any-genuine-free-email-accounts-pop3-smtp.html)

DazV 18 June 2003 10:31 PM

I've used freeserve in the past for free email accounts, but because I'm on broadband (and therefore don't dial in using a modem / they're telephone number) the email account lapses after so many months.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a free email account that I can use with Outlook Express (eg. pop3 / smtp) ?

Not interested in web / browser based mail
Not interested in free email accounts subsidised by sending you ads all the time in your email.

-DV

[Edited by DazV - 6/18/2003 10:32:33 PM]

[Edited by DazV - 6/18/2003 10:35:33 PM]

MattW 18 June 2003 10:46 PM

my ukonline.co.uk account works fine on BB

DazV 18 June 2003 11:04 PM

cheers, I'll check it out...

aka Tripper 18 June 2003 11:44 PM

DV,
Try cybersoup.com. It's web based mail but you can pick it up through outlook (I do anyway). Only requirement is that you logon website once per month. Small beer for a very good free email account! BTW no ads. LOL Use it to collect my 500 spam emails every week. :D

DemonDave 19 June 2003 12:16 AM

www.yahoo.co.uk

has web based but you can link to outlook

what would scooby do 19 June 2003 09:43 AM

www.myrealbox.com

suba 19 June 2003 09:45 AM

www.myrealbox.com gets my vote :) (coz i use it!)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 19 June 2003 11:27 AM

There's a South African webmail crowd which I've used before & you can d/load into Outlook (Pop3), do a search on the web...

Puff The Magic Wagon! 19 June 2003 11:30 AM

Here We Go - I did the searching bit...

rik1471 19 June 2003 12:55 PM

rik1471 19 June 2003 04:33 PM

Sorry it's called Yahoo Pops, available here

Basically, you sign up for a Yahoo account, the Yahoo Pops app sits in the background, and when you use Outlook to Send/Receive it transfers the mails to/from the yahoo account transparently. Also clears the mails out of the Yahoo account so it never fills up. Very usefull, and in my opinion the fastest/best free pop3 solution available.

Let me know if you need more setup details. :)

Rik.

DazV 19 June 2003 05:00 PM

Cheers All

Will give Yahoo a go - I like the look of their spam / virus policies too. In my opinion, all ISP's should be filtering for spam and viruses!

SwissTony 20 June 2003 01:51 PM

Virgin is still free and does not need regular use to keep it active.Get yourself a domain and then just use email forwarding if you so want
Just my 2 pennies worth...

Dazza's-STi 20 June 2003 11:25 PM

Dude the best deal on the net @ the moment and has been for a while is freeola, free mail + very cheap domain registration for 2 years... best thing to do if ur on broadband is buy a domain £18 then set-up you domain mail i.e. dazv@dazv.co.uk then use -email forwarding in the freeola control panel and fwd to your broadband mail address. Then in your mail program alter your sending and reply address to reflect your domain mail. that way when you get a mail and from ur broadband it looks like its coming from ur doamin account. easy!!! Tip:-) setup a junk mail address for signing up for stuff on the net! i.e. junk1@dazv.co.uk save your good mail for your buddies and simply change to junk2 after a while..

Have fun

Dazza

MartinM 21 June 2003 09:33 AM

DazV/anyone

When a Freeserve email a/c that is used solely from Outlook with broadband lapses, does it do so 'all of a sudden', or do you get a warning email?

Is it sufficient to just send an email occasionally from the Freeserve web pages (via broadband, of course:D) to keep it current?

TIA
Martin