ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Biker clocked over 150mph.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/220887-biker-clocked-over-150mph.html)

what would scooby do 17 June 2003 05:00 PM

here

I use this piece of road as a test route, even my scoob did 150MPH (meters per hour;) down it.

Guess I'll have to find somewhere else now...

[Edited by what would scooby do - 6/18/2003 8:15:41 AM]

NotoriousREV 17 June 2003 05:09 PM

Now 157mph sounds like a ridiculous speed, but when you're actually on a bike, it never seems quite so silly (I've only ever done those kind of speeds on a private road :p )

Puff The Magic Wagon! 17 June 2003 05:18 PM

Err that's 540 Kilometres Per Hour :eek:

Bar story :rolleyes:

;)

bros2 17 June 2003 05:39 PM

[Edited by bros2 - 7/2/2003 3:12:32 PM]

ProperCharlie 17 June 2003 05:46 PM

When bikers clock these kind of speeds it tends to be on lightly or untrafficked roads in reasonably remote areas. if they come off they are jam; that's their look out. who ever heard of a pedestrian getting knocked down by a bike doing ton plus? let 'em get on with it is what i say.

Butkus 17 June 2003 06:38 PM

Will he get a prison sentence for this?

Tim-Grove 17 June 2003 06:40 PM

This story was just on local news and they interviewed 3 bikers whose identities were kept privet. Biker 1 admitted once nearing 170MPH, biker 2 admitted 180MPH and biker 3 admitted topping 200MPH!!!!!!:eek:

ProperCharlie 17 June 2003 06:40 PM

dunno about prison but i'd say it will be more than 3 points and £60 fine.

Bravo2zero_sps 17 June 2003 06:56 PM

He is off to prison from what I have read [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I have broken the speed he was doing several times and I think its pathetic you go to prison for this.

Burglers, causing grievous bodily harm etc etc get lighter punishment FFS [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

As someone said bikers know they are jam if they come off at this speed, thats our problem, we don't do these speeds past schools or on busy roads. You need an empty piece of road to hit that speed and if the roads empty then who the hell are you endangering except yourself??? No one! So as far as I'm concerned its no one elses feking business as I am affecting no one around me!

Total fcuking joke, this countries laws make me sick [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

In fact you can have no insurance, no mot, no tax and get off with a small fine. This is far more dangerous as the vehicle with no mot is likely to be unpassable which is why it hasnt got one therefore not safe for the road.

Yet you can take a machine thats built for this sort of speed and relatively safe in terms of the equipment it has such as 6 pot brakes and get put in prison even if you were riding safely, ie in a straight line in dry conditions with no other road user about.

Hope the people who make these rules rot in hell [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Speed in itself isn't dangerous, its how you are riding at speed that makes you dangerous. And those are the words from a copper quoted in a newspaper not so long ago :rolleyes: so how the hell can 157mph on its own be considered dangerous driving???

House of Lords needs to be emptied of all the old cronies and replaced with people with modern day views so reasonable laws can be passed, not by a bunch of old tw@ts who shouldnt be on the road at their age let alone passing judgement on how others should drive [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Shutting up now cos I could go on for hours about this, makes my blood boil [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Going home on the bike now, wonder if I will break his record tonight ;) :D

Freak 17 June 2003 06:58 PM

They are up for dangerous driving- not just speeding...(according to the news anyway)
i think they have admitted it to.... uh oh...

Freak 17 June 2003 07:09 PM

I remember the businessman caught in his honda nsx clocked doing 150 on the M4 a few yrs back....

was done for dangerous driving and speeding-but successfully argued in court that the speed was not dangerous, and it was a high performance car built for those speeds- and he was an experienced and capable driver.

Still got done for the speed tho.I agree- excessive speed is not always dangerous.

Far more dangerous, say to be doing 20mph on a dual carrigeway/motorway or something imho.

Diesel 17 June 2003 07:17 PM

Bravo 2 - well said!

You get persecuted harder over here for what might possibly happen than an actual fact of what did happen. I.e you can beat an old man up and steal his things but do less time than a nutter doing 150 on a bike. As someone says - when did anyone kill a child with a bike at 150... More likely themselves.

Chip 17 June 2003 07:36 PM

Bikers use Mid Wales every weekend as a race track.Seen them many times myself.Was on Welsh news last night that there are 20 DEAD so far this year.

They take the risks and maybe they are jam if they crash,but also thinkof the families ,kids etc they leave behind. They are also a danger to other road users if they come off.

I know what its like to ride fast as Ive done it myself but this is a bit over the top and irresponsible.

Chip.

jjones 17 June 2003 08:58 PM

good lads.

nice stretch of road that.

just watched some **** on men and motors UK Police. On quite a busy motorway, one hand on the wheel, one on the gear shift, nonchalantly chatting to the camera at an indicated 120mph - but he had the blues on so it's ok.

how many fatailities caused by ****e and inappropriate police driving each year?

Crush 17 June 2003 09:13 PM

Bravo is right :cool:

I think that whether they do 80 or 180, they're pretty much doomed if something happens :eek: Bikers know the risks and they take them. Although the majority seem to know when to push & when to hold back :cool:

So I agree, let them get on with it :cool: :D

judgejules 17 June 2003 09:33 PM

"You need an empty piece of road to hit that speed and if the roads empty then who the hell are you endangering except yourself??? No one! So as far as I'm concerned its no one elses feking business as I am affecting no one around me!"

I wouldnt like to be the copper/paramedic that has to scrape you off the road or wall if/when something 'chaos' related happens...

I could so get on my horse about this, but I wont bother as I'm just as bad in my car.

Just think about what you're doing, and there's always a chance you wont pop your keys back on the coffee table at the end of the day...

I agree that the law in this country is totally off whack when it comes to the comparisons between different crimes. Whats it for non pre-meditated murder these days? 6 years? Not much for getting rid of someone you dont like now is it?

~Jules

PS. Dont take my post as advice and go top someone :P

Father Jack Hackett 17 June 2003 09:54 PM

You can say that it's their own business if they want to be jam, but what about the poor feckers that have to see it and clean it up?

Tim-Grove - were the bikers whose "identities were kept privet" just hedging their bets??!?

Bravo2zero_sps 17 June 2003 10:10 PM

Guys u r quite right about not being very nice having to scrape up the mess, most of the time tho this happens from either a biker being knocked off cos a car/van/lorry/whatever hasnt seen him or her or because they have actually been riding dangerously in heavy traffic. This occurs every year on the London to Hastings run that I go on and its very nasty seeing the consequences, it happened this year where a biker was killed on the way down to Hastings and it was very sad :(

However I don't consider doing high speed in a straight line in dry clear conditions on a near empty dual carriageway any where near similar risk, the only thing that is going to take you off is mechanical failure and to be honest its most likely to be just as devastating at 70 mph as it is if you are doing 150mph.

The thing is here im not saying the speed is clever or big, its not, its bloody stupid but most of us know that and still do it for the adrenaline rush and pleasure we get from it, but simply I don't believe its a criminal offence and warrants a jail sentence.

Losing your licence? Yes because it means you are less of a risk to yourself at the end of the day and know thats the risk when I do that sort of speed. Going to jail? Definately not.

Chip 17 June 2003 10:26 PM

You all say its Ok to speed along an empty road. Well how the hell do you know its empty. You never know whats around the corner do you.Or doesnt it matter if anyone else gets hurt.

As for a jail sentence. What are the magistrates supposed to do. If they fine you and give you points for these speeds then that will make everyone think that its OK then to do these speeds.

Chip.

jjones 17 June 2003 10:51 PM

dual carriageway, excellent forward visibility.

Bravo2zero_sps 17 June 2003 10:54 PM

Chip I will do these speeds only where I can see a long way ahead, for example there is a stretch of dual carriageway near me that is well over a mile straight and flat so you don't get any nasty surprises half way down it. I know very easily if there is any traffic in front of me or not :rolleyes:

Another one was down the Dronfield bypass on the way to Doonington form Sheffield a couple of years back, must be again over a mile long mostly down hill. I went to silly speeds one time down there and the bikes in front of me were pulling away from me to about 190/200 mph :eek: (they were modified big time with nitrous cannisters :eek: ) You really think you can do that sort of thing if there is traffic in front of you?

You really think you can go these speeds round corners? I think not. So its not a case of going 157mph round a blind bend is it, thats called suicide/russian roulette!

Again I'm not saying anyone should condone the speed as sensible behaviour, just its not a criminal offence to the severity its made out to be.

fast bloke 18 June 2003 09:27 AM

were these guys not passing a lorry when they were spotted? A closing speed of 100 mph is completely mental.(It has scared the sh1t out of me several times :D)

btw - If I ever become 'jam' I would prefer not to distress someone who has to scrape the bits up, so can you let them know it is OK to power hose me into the gutter. I probably wont mind :D:D:D

Tiggs 18 June 2003 09:36 AM

driving home on the A4 at wargrave yesterday and a bike came past me (and lots of other traffic) at 120+........if he had come of it would have done the world a favour, theres enough tools as it is without needing this nob.

T

Paulo P 15 July 2003 05:05 PM

The guys got 14 days in prison today :eek: hope they packed the KY ;):eek:

[Edited by paulpalmer - 7/15/2003 5:05:39 PM]

Andy Porter 15 July 2003 05:30 PM

The British legal system makes me want to puke.
If he had nicked that bike and got caught he wouldn't of gone down, period.

* walks of shaking head in disgust *

Jay m A 15 July 2003 05:47 PM

I saw on a news report of a film of them overtaking a lorry on a dual carriageway bend. IIRC they said the first one was done for 157 and the second for 140+ (the wimp ;)). However IMO although they were caning it round the bend (it looked like a bend off a roundabout) I didn't think they were doing anything like that speed as they cut infront of the camera car (that was in the outside lane) and overtook the lorry. I believe they may well have done 157mph but not in that clip, which is misleading.

For starters they were both accelerating and IIRC I saw a gearchange twitch.

However I must add that I saw this on breakfast news 11 hours ago and I'm not at my best in the mornings :D

Bravo2zero_sps 15 July 2003 05:55 PM

I very much doubt any rider could overtake on a bend at that speed on a corner or roundabout etc. More like it was down a straight they were clocked at that speed but were also filmed prior/after that speed and they are being made to look more dangerous than what they were. :rolleyes:

You can be caught for burglary and not get a custodial sentence at all, where is the comparison/justice in that? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

beemerboy 15 July 2003 05:57 PM

I have broken the speed he was doing several times and I think its pathetic you go to prison for this.
until you get a puncture, and your bike careers into a minibus full of schoolkids.

still, there you go, i guess.

BB:)

Bravo2zero_sps 15 July 2003 06:09 PM

Minibus of school kids? Don't think so somehow. I don't approach other traffic at that speed, you do it when its a clear stretch of dual carriageway/motorway.

I have only done that speed on dual carriageways early in the morning where there werent any cars on the road and with a few other bikes. The risk was entirely ours and no one else was at risk.

And to add like I said only done it a couple of times and its not a regualar speed I do on my bike. The conditions were right at the time and I don't have any wish to purposely go out and do it again. Have experienced it enough just after a couple of times and don't feel the need to take those risks anymore.

:rolleyes:

[Edited by ************** - 7/15/2003 6:14:23 PM]

beemerboy 15 July 2003 06:29 PM

feck man, its scarey enough doing high speed in a car.

god knows what its like with the wind in your face and your knees 2" off the ground!!!!!

think i would pass out!!!! LOL

BB:)