ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Dog Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/220312-dog-insurance.html)

boxst 16 June 2003 11:34 AM

Hello

Can anyone recommend a company for dog insurance?

I've had insurance since my dog was born, but have decided that it must be like cars and you can get a better quote!

I'm currently paying £17.95pm. My dog is a Cocker Spaniel and six years old.

Thanks,

Steve.

ChrisB 16 June 2003 11:40 AM

Any existing aliments or injuries?

Moving to a new insurer will usually specifically exclude any existing conditions the dog suffers from.

Hence we have to stick with PetPlan.

Gordo 16 June 2003 11:47 AM

out of interest, what you insuring it for? 3rd party or vets' bills (or both?). £17.95 x 12 x6 = £1300 spent to date. How much have you claimed over that period?

Always intrigued by this one - wouldn't you have been better putting the money aside each month (younger dogs tend not to need expensive healthcare so low risk of getting hit with a big bill).

Most dogs are pretty cheap to run from a vet perspective (assuming that little Fluffy isn't rushed down there every time it sneezes, gets a seed in its paw) so you'd then have a fund to either buy the next dog or go on holiday when your time is freed up after it kicks the proverbial water bowl :)

Gordo (owner of a 15yr old Cairn that has never needed anything other than annual jabs and two tom cats that, frankly, can look after themselves and spend their 7 lives as they see fit)

boxst 16 June 2003 11:54 AM

Hello

It covers everything, and yes it's expensive. I haven't claimed anything.

However, my parents dog developed some tumour and had vets bill of around £1000. So I guess you have to decide.

Cheapest so far is £10.99 with Direct Line.

Steve.

druddle 16 June 2003 11:58 AM

Go for Petplan. They are more comprehensive than other insurers, and were recommended by my vet for my 3 (now 2 :() cats. Never had any problem with them, i pay 12 ish quid a month for 2 cats.

Others may be cheaper but it will be at the expense of lower cover and more exclusions.

Dave

JimmyRB5PRO 16 June 2003 12:13 PM

Pet plan are very good, pay about £11-12 a month for my 10 month old labrador, its well worth it , so far she's had 2 x rays. One after eating a chicken and the other after cutting foot and producing a limp, owuld have cost of £250 squid so far foerher treatment , that two tears worth, nasd very easy to make a cliam unlike car insurance !!

red_dog104 16 June 2003 12:22 PM

We are with Sainsburys. £13 a month.

Apparition 16 June 2003 12:31 PM

My dog is 9 years old now, I gave up insuring him last year. It became something of a joke. He has recurring ear and eye infections (a design fault with his breed ), and each visit to the vets came just below the claimable figure. Now I just pay the vets fees as and when. Its a lot less than the insurance fees. We were with the Dog Breeders assoc. They at the time were the most competetively priced and most comprehensive. Another point, when the dog reaches a certain age ( I think it varies according to breed) most insurance companies will refuse to cover the animal anyway.

midget1500 16 June 2003 12:37 PM

there was a good thread on this maybe a year ago.

in the end of the day, some people will come on and say they never took out insurance and the dog never needed to claim. then someone like me will say that petplan are amazing and despite us claiming many thousands for our dog (cancers etc...) over the last 13 years petplan are still great, still quote us sensibly etc. we've definately claimed a lot more than we've paid.

your risk...

boxst 16 June 2003 04:17 PM

Hello

Booked with Tesco's at £11.52 pm for more or less the same cover as all the other policies.

Steve.

Popeye P1 16 June 2003 04:56 PM

Seems very steep to me. My dog is fit as a fiddle. If he develops something really bad I'll ask my sister- she's a vet.

boxst 16 June 2003 05:12 PM

Popeye:

Well, unless your sister wants to extend her services to me, then Tesco's it is.

And unlike when I tried to insure my Supra, I assume that they can't make a mistake and say my dog is an import and hence not insured.

Steve.

Diesel 16 June 2003 05:24 PM

Did lots of research! Used Pet Plan previously but they wanted £26 for new pooch. Went with Sainsburys in the end for £13pm.

BE CAREFUL as the small print on some is that they can REFUSE to re-new your cover if you have had an expensive claim in the past year This is them having their cake and eating it - RIDICULOUS!

I was a little surprised to pay £37 for 3 mins of Vets time and a tube of eye antibiotic recently (for an eyelid scratch he got that was a quite infected). However this was below the £50 excess and even if Sainsbury did cough up they charge 10% of any amount after this.

I MIGHT be better stuffing £25 a month into an ISA or something? £25 x 12 x 12 = £3600? Especially in view of normal decisions in quality of life issues with an older dog that has problems - you dont spot neoplasm (The Big C) in them till it is WAY too late..? Could end up with £5k cash if he was a healthy old boy?

Hmmm????????

D

hail-hail 16 June 2003 06:09 PM

lol gordo

Gordo (owner of a 15yr old Cairn that has never needed anything other than annual jabs and two tom cats that, frankly, can look after themselves and spend their 7 lives as they see fit)
what did they use up two lives each on assuming they started with the statutory NINE lives.

:D:D:D:D:D

PG 16 June 2003 06:19 PM

I am with "More Than" .....Excellent !!
Paid for itself many, many times over already:D
Also an excellent package.

J4CKO 16 June 2003 08:29 PM

But you can get a new dog for free from the dogs home !