ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   UK Honeymoon? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/220081-uk-honeymoon.html)

merlin 15 June 2003 01:42 PM

I'm marrying my Thai girlfriend next week in Thailand and doing it all again in the UK the following week...

For the honeymoon I would like to go to New York and Florida but that will have to wait until I can get my gf a US visa. Instead I thought we could have a long weekend in the UK. So where do you guys recommend? I'm thinking of a country hotel - somewhere that's reasonable expensive with lots to do nearby. The gf says she would like to visit Bath after having seen a picture of the horseshoe weir there. I was thinking about the Lake District, York or maybe the Yorkshire Dales.

Chelspeed 15 June 2003 01:46 PM

Big posh manor house hotel in Castle Combe village, bit more convenient for Bath than the Lakes!! Plus there might be some racing on at the weekend.....

stevem2k 15 June 2003 03:42 PM

Rick Steins @ Padstow www.rickstein.com

Took my wife for her 30th.

Just lovely down there, food was superb, accomodation superb too.

(warning: Not a cheap weekend !)

Steve

fitzscoob 15 June 2003 03:48 PM

nice place in devon called Budock vean, did some work there last year. Has its own golf course and health spa. $hit hot restaurant to.

www.budockvean.com

Alternatively if you want to stay in london my personal favourites have to be the connaught, the berkeley, the mandarin oriental and of course the dorchester

Brendan Hughes 15 June 2003 05:51 PM

We stayed here in the Leeds suite. Great place, but Crawley is probably not the best surroundings! Good for a night before a plane trip from Gatwick though.

Tut tut, how rude - edited to add, Congratulations!!:D:D

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 6/15/2003 5:52:27 PM]

David Lock 15 June 2003 05:57 PM

Just be careful. My pal took his newly wed to a posh country pad afer telling her he had been recommended it by a friend. When they arrived the manager came up and said "Nice to see you again, sir" (true btw). :D :D :D DL

fitzscoob 15 June 2003 06:02 PM

lol

bet his dirty weekend didnt go as planned

ProperCharlie 15 June 2003 06:24 PM

Cornwall is a fantastic place for a bit of romance. If you don't fancy rick stein's place there are several other good hotels down that way. I went with my soon-to-be betrothed ;) to this place a couple of years back. Had a lovely suite with french doors that opened onto the sea. The food was top notch and the atmosphere genteel, although the average age of the clientele was getting on a bit. Some stunning drives and coastline in the vicinity. Better to go off season though.
:)

merlin 16 June 2003 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies - maybe Cornwall is the place to go :)

Squizz 16 June 2003 01:25 PM

Cornwall - Definitely!

We went to the Italian Lakes for our Honeymoon, but we could have saved £££££'s by going to the Lamorran Gardens in St. Mawes, which was even better!! :D

Lots to do in Cornwall - Eden Project (ok), Lost Gardens of Heligan (fantastic), Lamorran Gardens (Amazing), Caerhays Castle, Padstow & Rick Stein's place, etc...

;)

ragnarock2 16 June 2003 01:28 PM

would have to be the new forest, my favourite place I have ever been to!

ChristianR 16 June 2003 01:35 PM

how about jersey in the channel islands ?