ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Anyone use Norton Ghost ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/218970-anyone-use-norton-ghost.html)

DazV 11 June 2003 06:30 PM

Was thinking about using it for disaster recovery.

eg. each night ghosting the server's partition onto a client's hard disk.

Question - whats the procedure to restore ? Assuming my server's hard disk was trashed, would I need to re-install the OS before restoring, or does it do it some clever way ?

-DV

TCMY95 11 June 2003 06:45 PM

suppose it depends what version of ghost you are using...I do think however that using it on a daily basis would be a bit of a chore. I would maybe opt for a dat drive or someother type of tapoe drive. I use ghost purely for client machines, and servers for just purely getting the operating system and mail system back to a useable state as quickly as possible. Then restore the DATA from tape.

I am not saying that you cant use it for backing up files, you would make a ghost image from pcdos and then install the ghost explorer on the server, then you can browse the ghost img and restore files of you choosing.

Hope that helps.

DazV 11 June 2003 07:01 PM

Thanks for that.

Sith 11 June 2003 09:00 PM

Personally wouldn't use ghost for servers, only clients. As said would go for DLT etc for backups or various other back up solutions.

Mickle 11 June 2003 09:08 PM

abit off topic but i (abit of a novice) tried ghosting a win2000 pro hdd into another machine and it gave me some error about too much hardware changing and it didn't work.

how do you do it?

darlodge 11 June 2003 09:13 PM

Mickle, where you trying to restore from an image onto the original hard disk that the image was taken from?

Darren

Chelsie-Bun 11 June 2003 09:53 PM

We used it, it was brill we moved all my C drive on to a new drive, because it was bigger and boot off the new drive now.
keeping the old smaller one as a back up drive.

I recommend it, took 20 min all done

chel xxx

TCMY95 11 June 2003 10:48 PM

one thing you have to remember when ghosting...the client you are applying the image has to be iddentical to the machine you used for the image...

and ghost doesn't work with raid, if how ever you are using a standard workstation as a server ( and believe me it does happen) then it is fine for takeing an image of your system partition..use some other means to backup your data..:)

ChrisB 12 June 2003 09:15 AM

V2i is designed to do this job...

darlodge 06 November 2003 09:03 PM

Another thumbs up for Ghost on workstations (clients) but not on servers.

As far as I can remember, Norton Ghost does not work with RAID setups. Servers generally have RAID, where as clients do not.

Works a treat on large client rollouts though Like the one I am doing this weekend:D

Darren

[Edited by darlodge - 6/11/2003 9:03:53 PM]