ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tax on "bad" food!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/217996-tax-on-bad-food.html)

Nimbus 09 June 2003 12:03 PM

Now the government wants to add VAT on fatty, sugary food to dissuade us from eating it, to combat the obesity problem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2973914.stm

It seams that all this government can do when they want to try and stop us doing something is to tax us out of it. What about educating us about it so that we can choose for ourselves? What happened to "education, education, education". More like, "tax, tax, tax"...

Tiggs 09 June 2003 12:18 PM

Good, tax it big time....or tax the operations and medical treatment needed by lazy fat arse smokers, beer guzzlers and general lazy slobs.

T

unclebuck 09 June 2003 12:22 PM

Good idea. Lidl and Kwik Save will suffer as the scum have to cut down on burgers and oven chips, so it's a win win. :D

UB:D

STi wanna Subaru 09 June 2003 12:22 PM

No food is 'bad' for for you! Excessive amounts and an unbalanced diet is however

What a joke this government is!!

corradoboy 09 June 2003 12:23 PM

And tax those who harm themselves falling off mountain bikes, crashing cars, sliding down mountains, trying to fly, being the aggressive tw@t down 't local, putting up shelves..............

where do you draw the line ?

daiscooby 09 June 2003 12:26 PM

McDonalds, Burger King and KFC will be closing down in the UK then.
What will spotty dissaffected youth's and deaf mute Albanians do for work now !.

rik1471 09 June 2003 12:29 PM

So I presume there will be a tax relief on healthy foods????

unclebuck 09 June 2003 12:33 PM

McDonalds, Burger King and KFC already have VAT on them.

Daz WRX 09 June 2003 12:41 PM

In returm do we all get gym memberships so that we can loose our obesity?

Nimbus 09 June 2003 12:44 PM

What I'm mad about is the attitude of the Government. "we don't like people doing this, let's tax them out of it"...

What they should be doing is educating people on the benefits of the alternative and make them more attractive. This applies not just to this issue but everything (public transport being the obvious example).

Popeye P1 09 June 2003 01:22 PM

End of the day its you're choice to eat fatty foods. We all like to pig out from time to time.

Better idea would be to have more sport at Schools and an education class on the danger of too much fats.

Exercise is the key here. Compulsory fat skools for Fat bast8rds. LOL

Tiggs 09 June 2003 01:37 PM

"And tax those who harm themselves falling off mountain bikes, crashing cars, sliding down mountains, trying to fly, being the aggressive tw@t down 't local, putting up shelves..............
"

good idea...or at least make ppl have sporting insurance to cover it.....except for twats in pubs let them bleed.

T

Little Miss WRX 09 June 2003 01:37 PM

Don't think that just the UK is affected.

The news is that over here in Aus that the idea is being considered, also a report is coming out that there are rumours that terrorist organisations have cells in Australia for planning attacks in Aus and other countries.

Don't think that UK are just affected by mad ideas and dodgy politicians and don't think that by moving away that you will have those problems solved!!!!

SJ_Skyline 09 June 2003 02:01 PM

I think we should tax the government. Make them pay for their continued incompetence.

I say we storm no.10 and force Tony Bliar to eat 15lbs of bananas for his crimes against the British public! :D

Brendan Hughes 09 June 2003 05:17 PM

LMW, are the terrorist cells going to attack McD's?:)

Reminds me of Leon, when the girl smuggles a pizza into the police station. She gets caught, and cop A starts to eat the pizza. Cop B warns "Careful man, it could be poisoned". Cop A replies "Nah, there's no anchovies on it.":D

Little Miss WRX 09 June 2003 05:19 PM

Leon - fantastic film. :D

Old_Fart 06 September 2003 12:13 PM

Education? You're having a laugh. Smokers keep on smoking and over-eaters will keep on over-eating, despite all the well publicised health-risks attached. They deserve to pay for their lack of self-control.
Chuck - not making many friends today ;)
Edit - I think the 'fat tax' is wrong BTW, but it's a real problem and my point stands that education just doesn't seem to work sadly.

[Edited by Old_Fart - 6/9/2003 12:17:37 PM]

Wurzel 06 September 2003 02:49 PM

I may be wrong but going back to what Nimbus said earlier, is this not the attitude of a communist government, or a dictatorship? do as I say or else!!!!!!

[Edited by Wurzel - 6/9/2003 2:49:59 PM]