ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   understanding gear change / torque & boost (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/216520-understanding-gear-change-torque-and-boost.html)

monstermunch 04 June 2003 10:19 PM

I'm toying with the idea of getting PPP for my wrx but would like to first understand how it improves and at what point to change gear.

looking at the examples on prodrives site it shows that boost peak power (265ps) is reached at 6,000RPM

It also mentions that the torque range is 2,750rpm - 6,250rpm

One thing I can't quiet grasp is that someone once told me, in fact a few people have told me that to acheive your fastest performance in any car lets say your 0 - 100mph fastest time, you should rev to the red line in every gear.

Is this True ???

because according to torque & boost in this given example, would'nt it be better to change each gear at around 6,300 before the boost and torque dips ?

I know it's probably a silly question but suppose you don't learn if you don't ask.

Thanks

MM

akimacul 04 June 2003 10:47 PM

MM

I'm no expert, but I do have a MY03 with PPP, which sounds like where you're coming from. In first/second, the revs/speed come that quickly that red line/max revs are achieved without thinking through your point. However, in third, your point becomes valid. I feel that well before redlimiter cuts in the cars pull dies away, although a move to fourth and it's pulling well again. Third is probably my one disappointment. I've had a standard classic 00 and this car is quicker and the torque is noticeable. Also on 1k 1st service (I had PPP from brand new) I had a standard WRX on loan for 1 day. The PPP is quite noticeable vis a vis the standard car also, which made my day. I also have quickshift which (if not helps) feels less family saloon like. 3,600 in just over a month and I'm still smiling...

JC

Jonto 04 June 2003 10:53 PM

have a look on howthingswork.com !

john banks 04 June 2003 11:01 PM

Change up when the power at wheels in the next gear is higher than it is by holding onto the present gear, or the redline, whichever is first.

T5NYW 05 June 2003 10:19 AM

If you car pulls real well at lowest revs, say, 4500rpm ;)

Try achieve this rev after changing gear :D try giong along slowly say at 5000rpm in a gear and change to next gear without altering speed :rolleyes: engine might be now at 2850 rpm. Now take up to 'X' rpm so on change of gear you get 4500rpm :D do this in each gear will give you very rough guide. This piont will change, how long it take to change gear, on loading eg. Uphill closer to RED 500rpm more and downhill 1000rpm less :rolleyes: IMHO as I said a very rough guide ;)

Hearing the tone of engine and the feel from seat of your pants is the best guide :) not so easy done with a crashhat and adrienaline flowing ;)

Tony

and another probably useless tip by me

Floyd 05 June 2003 12:38 PM

Yes Tony, very good :rolleyes:

I can't really se people trying out your test on the road, but an interesting thought though.

F :D

T5NYW 05 June 2003 04:35 PM

Floyd,

I'd thought someone more like Pete Lewis would be impressed ;)

Tony

Leslie 05 June 2003 04:53 PM

The JDM STI's seem to do best if you change at around 6300 because the gear ratios are well chosen and the engine will pull really well in the next higher gear. Saves a lot of stress on the engine from the higher revs too.

Les :)