ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   SMELLY CLUTCH (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/216398-smelly-clutch.html)

ARRON BIRD 04 June 2003 04:27 PM

Anyone else with an STI7PPP who drives it harder than he pollishes it had the same problem.
Any slight slipping of the clutch to pull away seems to make the smell.
Did a standing start in it once and it smoked like hell.
Surely you should be able to abuse it a little harder than that!!!
13000miles!!!

scooby_si 04 June 2003 04:32 PM

whever clutch slips it will smell presuming it aint a superior one on the STi7 then it's just the way it is with 4 wheel drive, untill u upgrade to a better clutch having killed the OE un that is ;)
Si (guilty as charged:p)

ARRON BIRD 04 June 2003 04:34 PM

My P1 was abused far more and I never had a problem with that.

mas58 04 June 2003 05:28 PM

My clutch smells when getting out onto the drive each morning. I have a small slope to go up when reversing out of garage. I dont slip/ride the clutch or use excessive revs. I now make sure i turn the aircon rotary control to off when i garage car so smell does not enter cabin and only return to auto when moving. Car has only 3200mls (STI8). And i thought i was the only one with a smelly clutch.

Pilot Dan 04 June 2003 06:45 PM

I have the same problem when reversing up a small hill outside my house each day, and have had the same smell after doing standing or fast hill starts, but not after 'normal' driving.

There is a possibility that there is excess wear occuring on the clutch if you do alot of town driving in traffic, or your clutch pedel may not be allowing full presure to be exerted on the clutch plate. hence the smell.

I would have someone have a quick look at the wear level... but be there yourself so they dont try to persuade you a new one is in order !

Dan.

Spoon 04 June 2003 06:47 PM

Take regular showers, it will help.

Big Goon 04 June 2003 07:57 PM

My clutch is almost knackered @ 37,000 miles.

Has also gotten very juddery in last few months, never had a problem with slippage though.

ianmiller999 04 June 2003 08:25 PM

Smelly clutch from new in reverse on mine. (Sport)

Big Den 04 June 2003 08:35 PM

Ditto here.

My drive is on a slope & I get the smelly clutch 9 times out of 10 when putting my STi7 in the garage.

Den

Jonto 04 June 2003 08:44 PM

just kill it, it won't smell then ! :D

Floyd 04 June 2003 09:43 PM

I thought this thread was 'smelly crutch' as well.

Perhaps you've ragged this clutch to within an inch of its life and its trying to tell you something?

It may not be man enough for the job (or just the abuse that you give it ;) ). I've not seen any trend on here to suggest its a common problem.

F

ARRON BIRD 04 June 2003 09:58 PM

I wouldnt say that I have really abused it. If you want to get away quick you need to slide the clutch a little otherwise they just bog down.
I dont slip it and it isnt slipping. Just smells???
"they all do that Sir"
I can just hear it now :rolleyes: