ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Will a turbo calibra eng fit into corsa? (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/213464-will-a-turbo-calibra-eng-fit-into-corsa.html)

MCGARY 27 May 2003 09:45 AM

I have ben told a calibra/caviler turbo engine will fit straight into a corsa. Is this true? If so what other mods would have to be done? brakes ,suspension etc? Cheers Gary

C 27 May 2003 09:56 AM

Loads of people stick them in Nova's so I assume it would fit in a Corsa!

A fair few custom bits would be needed I should imagine!!

& yes I would suggest uprating the brakes & suspension as well ;)

New To Scoob 27 May 2003 10:16 AM

Should fit, as previously said there were a good few fitted to novas, I remember hearing about one problem though, too much power for the shell you'll need to get a couple of strengtheners of some sort I'm sure Courtney used to sell some sort of ty-bar kits for the Nova once they discovered the problem.

David_Wallis 27 May 2003 10:52 AM

Yes it will, along with the F20 box..

or the F16 for different ratio's

Would go with ATE calipers or bigger (235mm iirc)
Driveshafts also need playing with.. Carquip, courtenay, regal should all be able to supply..

Courtenay did a gsi, years ago..

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 5/27/2003 10:52:55 AM]

UkLegacyT 27 May 2003 11:20 AM

not sure whether its the corsa or nova, or both for that matter, that need a small section cutting out of the chassis rail (cant remember which side) and then a plate welding in. this is to give clearance for the engine, i think its a pulley that fouls.

easy enough to do anyway

ian

David_Wallis 27 May 2003 12:13 PM

its the drivers side chassis leg and its the crank pulley / alternator.. and can be done with a hammer if you are really mad...

David

UkLegacyT 27 May 2003 04:19 PM

.. and can be done with a hammer if you are really mad...

lol :D

most nova drivers probably have done it that way :D

MCGARY 28 May 2003 12:32 AM

Cheers for all the info lads, I might make it my new project as soon as. I will have to get a turbo eng a corsa and a big hammer then..He he Cheers Gary

mark@wrx 28 May 2003 09:48 AM

Make sure you seam weld the entire front end. There are numerous Novas and Corsas out there that the front ends were starting to pull apart due to the torque:eek: I think TAS do a strengthening kit to weld in.

JonGould 28 May 2003 12:56 PM

yes, it fits very easily. Drivers side chassis leg needs to be cut and have a 'dent' welded in. Also you will have to change the bottom pulley bolts to normal hex bolts instead of torx, otherwise its an engine out job to do the cambelt.

I would also say forget PAS e.t.c as its quite a squeeze. Try a quickrack. If you have any troubles mail me, i have had alot of experience with vauxhalls.

I would be warry or what engine you get tho. The C20LET engine has a habit of noisey tappets, a new set costing around £320. Also when you do the belt change the tensioners and idlers as they are poo!!! Check the turbo for wear as most cally/cav turbos have been owned by people that dont warm up/cool down. they are KKK turbos and quite small as standard, but are easily upgraded.

Wallace performance do phase kits, 300BHP is easy, 400BHP is possible but starts to get costly. I have seen over 500BHP but its undrivable.

Personally tho, being a corsa i would use the GSi engine and throttle bodie it (www.sbdev.co.uk i think).

JonGould 28 May 2003 01:00 PM

Yes it will, along with the F20 box..

or the F16 for different ratio's

You will finmd the F16/20 use the same ratios. The F16 was used in all the 8V's and is capable of taking 160lb's of torque. The F20 is capable of 200lb's of torque and was used in all the valvers...

If you are serious about a turbo look into the F28 6-speed boox. You need to blank off the TXbox output but theres a cheap kit for it. The 6th gear alows you to cruise without losing power!!!

[Edited by JonGould - 5/28/2003 1:34:56 PM]

[Edited by JonGould - 5/28/2003 1:35:29 PM]

David_Wallis 28 May 2003 02:15 PM

6 speed is effort and a tight fit..

Been a while since I did a conversion..

David

MCGARY 29 May 2003 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info jon, I will keep you in mind when i start this. Thanks again Gary.

Jonto 05 June 2003 12:28 AM

:eek: