ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Just left casualty with my right leg in plaster, can't drive!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/213234-just-left-casualty-with-my-right-leg-in-plaster-cant-drive.html)

Colin P 26 May 2003 04:36 PM

I am so gutted

I have wanted a Scooby for years, finally got one 7 months ago and loved every minute. Now I can't drive it for possibly months because I have snapped my achilles tendon and have my right leg in plaster!!!

I can't even wash it!!!

Col

Little Miss WRX 26 May 2003 04:37 PM

Ouch!!! How did you do that????

Colin P 26 May 2003 04:51 PM

I strained it a week ago training but just kept taking pain killers, until it finally went whilst running up the stairs.

I said OUCH when it happened:)

Brendan Hughes 26 May 2003 06:22 PM

All kind-hearted volunteers to keep the car ticking over rather than standing idle during this period, form an orderly queue...

Scoob99 26 May 2003 06:25 PM

I know that hurts Col, it happened to a guy a work recently, get well soon mate.
Cheers
Colin

RB5_245 26 May 2003 06:28 PM

Is this a post asking for a lift home??

Rusty Festa 26 May 2003 06:47 PM

Ouch! reminds me of last Christmas...took the Scooby to the dealers for a service and then went ice skating whilst we were waiting (at the dealer's suggestion! :rolleyes: ) yep, you guessed it...broke me arm :rolleyes:

Hope your lady will enjoy looking after your scoob like mine did...in fact she spent more time looking after the car than me :eek: :D

Little Miss WRX 26 May 2003 07:05 PM

I heard that it takes a wee while for the achilles to heel, when the tendons became inflamed in my achilles and outside of both of my feet, I did take it easy (was on crutches for a week), but it was a while before I could train again.
Hope the recovery is speedy. :)

greg.g 26 May 2003 07:13 PM

I know how you feel:(
Last october i broke my left wrist{not what your thinking);):p
I had only had my scooby about 6 weeks and i was gutted.
Unable to drive for 3 months
On my first spin back behind the wheel, the crankshaft went:eek:[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Its all better now though:D:D

Greg

Spoon 26 May 2003 08:03 PM

Colin,is it a full leg, no bendy jobby?

If not, why be gutted?

For £350 or less you could have a hand-control fitted in a morning without damage to the trim to enable you to keep mobile.

Scoobydick 26 May 2003 10:00 PM

Just left casualty with my right leg in plaster, can't drive!!!
You mean they have told you not to or you've tried and it is not physically possible!!

Because of toe my foot was in plaster and they told me not to drive but I decided it was all wrapped up safely inside paster of Paris out of harms way so I gave it a go. After a day of two could change gear quicker than Damon Hill LOL ;) Actually that must have been my left leg then but as they say "He Who Dares Wins"

Even if it all goes pear shaped and you don't master the art - the Doob is gonna feel sooooo flippin' fast once you get back in the hot seat. The best mod you can get is just not to drive the beast for a week :D:D:D:D

Colin P 27 May 2003 11:04 AM

Cheers for the comments guy's

It's in an aquinus cast, which is a plaster cast from my knee to my toes but keeps my foot pointing down to relax the tendon. So driving is imposible.

Noticed the scoob has gone this morning, and my girlfriends car is still outside :rolleyes:

Col

[Edited by Colin P - 5/27/2003 11:44:31 AM]

Nimbus 27 May 2003 11:29 AM

A coulpe of years ago I went to Casualty after I hurt my right wrist quadbiking. Took an x-ray and one of the bones had broken clean through. They but it in a cast. I sat in the car (only had it one month) in the hospital car park thinking "ok, so what do I do now...". I could not get hold of anyone to drive it back for me so drove it myself :D. Wife was not too impressed when I told her. Had an op on it the next week to fix a pin in it. So could not drive for 6 weeks :( That time went veeeerrrrryyyy sllllloooowwwwlllyyy..

Beemer_Deano 27 May 2003 12:07 PM

Doh! Tough break m8.... (*EDIT* no pun intended, honest :) ) I broke my elbow in April in a freak dog walking accident :D I drove into work the next day thinking it was just sprained but had to go to casualty.... they couldn't cast it and said I'd probably be off the road for 6 weeks :(

Anyhoo, the reason for my wibbling on is after about a fortnight I'd got most of the use back and the consultant said I could drive "when I felt competent". I still won't be throwing the scoob around for a while, but 2 weeks was a lot better than 6. Hope you have a quick recovery too.

Deano

[Edited by Beemer_Deano - 5/27/2003 12:08:12 PM]

Colin P 27 May 2003 01:35 PM

Cheers m8

My girlfriend is coming home soon to take me to the doctors, so at least I get to be a passenger in my car:)

Col

bigsinky 27 May 2003 01:45 PM

I agree with scoobydick. i broke me ankle and tibia in two places that necessitated steel plate in me leg and big feck off pin throught me ankle for 10 weeks. full leg plaster for a week until they realised my ankle was broken as well (stoopid feckers). brought me back in did the op and stuck a short plaster on. if you can bend your knee then you can push a clutch or an accelerator. If you crash your motor though i don't think your insurance will stand up(then again neither can you at the mo:D

broken leg doesnt mean you cant drive. you just cant drive well.

Brendan Hughes 27 May 2003 02:33 PM

Re-iterate what bigsinky says - best to let your insurance co know, or better to get a doc's note saying you are capable to drive. Try it without, and it might end up costing you a fortune.

Spoon 27 May 2003 04:49 PM

The hand-control route is by far the best if you think the money is worth not being stuck in the house or you need the vehicle for work.

You've said you can bend the knee, you've said you can passenger, so there is never any reason to be without your car.

There is also a company called Lynx that do a set of "clip on" hand controls that take minutes to fit.

Edited to find this.

Hand-Controls

[Edited by Spoon - 5/27/2003 4:52:23 PM]

Colin P 27 May 2003 05:53 PM

Cheers Spoon
I will look into it :)

I would love to see someones face after loosing a race to someone on crutches :)

Col

Edited to be politicaly correct about people with disabilities

[Edited by Colin P - 5/27/2003 6:26:56 PM]

jmgelba 27 May 2003 06:44 PM

"Re-iterate what bigsinky says - best to let your insurance co know, or better to get a doc's note saying you are capable to drive. Try it without, and it might end up costing you a fortune."

Or an arm and a leg.

Spoon 27 May 2003 08:22 PM

Colin, it's more of a picture when they lose to somebody who then jumps out into a wheelchair.;)