ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Noise from rear wheel (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/212887-noise-from-rear-wheel.html)

rickydiver 25 May 2003 09:28 AM

I have a squeeling noise coming frm the nearside rear wheel which only happens after some hard driving on twisty roads, anyone any ideas what it is ??

Scoob99 25 May 2003 11:03 AM

Could be a wheel bearing on it's way out.
Cheers
Colin

rickydiver 25 May 2003 12:30 PM

Maybe showing my ignorance here but if it was a wheel bearing would it not do it all the time?

MAC76 25 May 2003 12:36 PM

You might have a mouse trapped in it rude boy , seckel yah!

D6ale 25 May 2003 01:16 PM

if it is a wheel bearing be prepared for silly money to fix it. roughly £70 for each bearing plus some seals making it about £100 a side. = £200 just in parts for rear bearings. but they have to be done.....as i'm finding out.

rickydiver 25 May 2003 06:04 PM

Do both sides have to be changed together or can you just change one side ????
Cheers
Ricky

BOB.T 25 May 2003 06:07 PM

Wheel bearings don't usually squeel, they ususally hum / rumble and the noise goes away / gets louder when going round bends, dependant on direction / bearing...if you near side bearing is knackered, it will go quiet on a left hand bend:)

Have a look at your pads, they might be worn down to the indicator, if not, whizz them out and put some copper grease on the back of them and on where they slide in the caliper:)

TON3 25 May 2003 07:43 PM

Just to back up Bob, yeah wheel bearings make a humming or whiring kind of noise when shagged, so it wouldnt be that!

rickydiver 25 May 2003 11:55 PM

Thanks guys, The front and rear discs/pads were replaced by the garage before I took delivery of the car, could this be linked ? i am going into the garage tmrw so will let you know what they say.
Cheers
Ricky

Houlbt 26 May 2003 12:16 AM

could be something as simple as a missing rattle clip.. I lost one on my car ans the resultant noise was intermittant

H.

Scooby Lou 26 May 2003 02:09 AM

Ricky

I had exactly the same problem...I've got a MY00 (currently up for sale!) - Apparently it's quite common. I think it's brake dust accumulating in the rear drums (the general consensus from mechanics who have looked at the car). This is because the rear brakes are not used much and the dust tends to accumulate there.

You can generally fix it by removing the rear drums & blowing them out with compressed air (it fixes it for a while until a few thousand miles or so when it builds up again)

The best tip I got (which works) is pull the handbrake whilst moving just momentarily - it seems to clean the pads and stop the noise for a while.

Louis

rickydiver 26 May 2003 11:03 AM

Well I am off to the garage to pick there brains (wont take long !!) will let you know the result.
Ricky

rickydiver 26 May 2003 04:42 PM

The garage have told me they think the problem is the brake pad that is expanding very slightly after hard driving (as this is the only time it does it) as the problem goes away when the car cools off they say not to worry. What do you all think ?
Ricky

worley 26 May 2003 05:13 PM

It's the 'deflector strip' I think that's what it's called.

Something to do with rear brake pads and wear - had the same problem on and off for years with my Scoob, a good clean sorts it out. High pitch intermittent squeel? embarassing to any proud scooby owner!

Scooby Lou 27 May 2003 12:34 AM

Yep Ricky - it gets worse when it gets hot - Since it does no harm - I think the best solution is the turn the stereo on louder! It's just something you learn to live with, like the clutch judder in the mornings.

TON3 27 May 2003 09:19 AM

Damn it, my sti7's doing it as well, last nite i was racing my m8 in his gtir, i got drift at 60 and then a switch onto opposite camber and the thing screeched all the way down to the next roundabout! weird! Though my noise came from the offside rear!