ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   EVO 6 Makinnen Edition Mini Cab - NO REALLY!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/212325-evo-6-makinnen-edition-mini-cab-no-really.html)

mclark 23 May 2003 10:19 AM

I was out in Leamington Spa last night for a few drinks and couldn't quite believe it when I saw a white Mitsu Lancer Evo 6 Makinnen Edition with a magnetic taxi sign on the roof! And the name of the cab company is 'Skyline', so it's got 'Skyline' plastered down the side of the car. Now thats irony for you. Is this guy mad? I mean, what is the point in trashing what is quite possibly the ultimate Evo? How can this guy afford to run an Evo as a cab? So, if you want a top night out, I suggest you get down to Leamington, get lashed, and then enjoy the cab ride home!

MarkCSC 23 May 2003 10:49 AM

I had a friend at uni who's dad had an Aston Martin. One of the members of the Aston owners club owned a taxi firm. Occansionaly he would take his Vantage out and pick up customers. It was a great promotion tool. Probably what this guy is doing

astraboy 23 May 2003 11:14 AM

ideal if you want to promote the speed of your service. IMO.
I would deffo pay a little extra to be EVO'd home after a night out. :cool:
astraboy.

MattOz 23 May 2003 11:55 AM

As I live in/near Leamington I can confirm this! The bloke used to have the Black STI before moving onto the Mak. It seems very strange to see the Evo parkd in the taxi rank next to the Shell station in Leamington. On the other hand, I guess that it's handy for regular Optimax fill-ups (only 77.9p/ltr) :D ;)

Shows that some cabbies have a sense of humour. Mind you, I wouldn't want anyone woofing their cookies after a night out in the back of my Evo! Just try getting carrot stain off the alcantara! LOL ;)

Matt

Bobby Peru 23 May 2003 12:22 PM

Knowing how thirsty 6's are, I can only assume he charges 3 times the fare, or, gets a serious amount of tips, and don't forget 4500 mile services!!!!

^Qwerty^ 23 May 2003 12:35 PM

Are rates not fixed in licenced taxi's by the local authority?

Cyberevo 23 May 2003 12:45 PM

I remember the Balck Scoob taxi, I don't think it was an Sti, just a WRX. I'm due to be on the Pi$$ in Leam over the next couple of weeks, should be fun!

MARK MORRIS 23 May 2003 04:01 PM

when they were new there used to be a cav turbo and senator 3.0 24v taxis around swansea, nice change
mark

mozzaITA 24 May 2003 03:40 PM

i know a taxi firm owner and hes buying a BMW M5 to add to his fleet.

midget1500 24 May 2003 03:58 PM

I had a friend at uni who's dad had an Aston Martin. One of the members of the Aston owners club owned a taxi firm. Occansionaly he would take his Vantage out and pick up customers. It was a great promotion tool. Probably what this guy is doing
i thought that by law taxi's had to have 4 doors (or more?)

met 24 May 2003 06:15 PM

called a cab from the local firm when i was taking the new girlfriend out to come get me then on to get her & an s class merc turned up :) sweet

Sprint Chief 24 May 2003 08:29 PM

Yep a local mini cab firm to me runs all diesel s class mercs, when I asked the drivers about it they like the unlimited mileage warranties - they run them on contract hire from new (they all drive 'em so they probably get a pretty good price!) and put something like 250,000 miles on them in three years :eek:

Rates are the same as other firms! Nice working environment though...

Scot123 25 May 2003 06:26 AM

Along the same lines..There is a driving instructor(ess?) round our way who teaches in a brand new M3 convertible. Feck knows what rates she charges:eek:

J4CKO 25 May 2003 09:48 AM

That is cool but prooves what most people think, an Evo or Scoob is basically a mini-cab with a big engine and some plastic bits stuck on.

Still has to be cheaper than a black cab and the handling and performance should be a little better.

TIFF-C20WTH 25 May 2003 09:12 PM

I live in Leamington and had the pleasure of a ride home in said EVO last night.
I can see how he uses it as a cab,he drives it like a girl(No offence intended,just a phrase)
No matter how much i asked him to,he wasnt giving it anything:(

Oh,and yes,im afraid i do know MattOz too;);)

Just joking mate;)

Duck_Pond 28 May 2003 03:51 PM

Spotted the very same EVO "pottering" along the bottom of the Parade in Leam Spa at about 5pm yesterday. Looked ridiculous.

I too remember the same guy driving a black Scooby before... I'm surprised he hasn't been car-jacked.

Must have more money than sense.

asifR1 28 May 2003 04:36 PM

i saw a red classic taxi on monday evening heading towards manchester airport :eek:

thought it was a joke or something but no it had the full cab firm adverts plastered all over it!!!!

[Edited by asifR1 - 5/28/2003 4:36:55 PM]

danny-boy 29 May 2003 01:40 PM

Guess jap cars are built to last so a good investment for the cabbies.

I was talking to a blokey who took me and the bird up to gatwick, he has to get his cars serviced every 6 weeks to comply with the mileage side of the warranty.

I was like fook that!

Cheers

Dan