ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cooling Problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/212190-cooling-problems.html)

wrx93 22 May 2003 08:13 PM

I still have problems with me cooling system, I get bubbles in the plastic expansion tank on the near side wing and it overflows out the little pipe sometimes. I know a lot of people say that it the head gaskets but I have had it checked and they could not find anything. The car does not overheat, the performance is not down and the heating works fine, also fans come on at the correct time.

jameswrx 22 May 2003 08:26 PM

what about draining the water system down, taking the thermostat out and make sure it's well drained, replace thermostat and filling it back up giving the hoses a good squeeze as you go and see what happens?. Might be worth a try

wrx93 22 May 2003 08:31 PM

Done all that, changed all the hoses with new Samco items, also changed the stat and replaced the faulty tempreture sensor. I filled the cooling system correctly and it still does it! May have to get head gaskets done, just to see if it is them causing the problems.

jonny gav 23 May 2003 09:52 AM

it may just be a weak spring in the cap causing it to open at a lower pressure.

i think it is supposed to open at 0.8 bar.

worth checking anyway

wrx93 23 May 2003 10:26 AM

Fitted new metal header tank and new rad cap so not that either, could the water pump cause problems like this ?

swan 26 May 2003 11:43 AM

Air block in your system perhaps?

binxta350 27 May 2003 08:07 PM

hi had the same problem.I allready had the water pump changed and the rad and the thermostat.Right give this a try it worked on mine drain the system down.Fill it up again while running,to bleed the air out.If the problem carry's on,when it cools down take the main hose of the top of the radiator,take a deep breath and blow down it,keep on blowing till water comes out the rad,then when there's no more gluging,top it back up through the hose that is off{very slowly}.Sounds mad but it did the trick on mine...

Turbo_Steve 27 May 2003 08:31 PM

:D Effective......but do it somewhere private, or people will get the wrong idea when you say "I love my car" ! :D

binxta350 27 May 2003 09:23 PM

ha ha ha sorry I'm a newbie just trying to help don't know anything about exhausts do you

submannz 27 May 2003 11:38 PM

I hate to say it but bubbles in the tank 9 times out of 10 mean head gasket on the way out.

[Edited by submannz - 5/27/2003 11:39:53 PM]

wrx93 28 May 2003 07:02 AM

Well I took it in yesterday to have the gaskets done! Lets hope that it does cure it!!

submannz 29 May 2003 03:44 AM

They should be able to do a leak down test, which may tell you straight away, but they don't always as was the case with my fathers honda prelude, which blew the gasket 1 week later

wrx93 29 May 2003 07:01 AM

Been told that one of the gaskets had started to lift, so it looks like it was the gaskets causing the problems. Will get it back soon and see what it runs like now.